Apparent Flux and number of stars

In summary, the conversation discusses the total number of stars in our Galaxy and their luminosities. It is shown that the number of stars with a certain apparent flux can be expressed as $N(f \geq f_0) = \frac{A}{f_0^{3/2}}$, where $A$ is a constant that can be found in terms of $n(L)$ using the equation $N = \int_{L_{min}}^{L_{max}} n(L)A.LdL$. However, there is uncertainty about the value of $A$ and the definition of $n(L)$.
Jordan_Tusc
The stars in our Galaxy have luminosities ranging from $L_{\text{min}}$ to $L_{\text{max}}$. Suppose that the number of stars per unit volume with luminosities in the range of $L$, $L+dL$ is $n(L)dL$. The total number of stars per unit volume if clearly $$n = \int_{L_{min}}^{L_{max}} n(L)dL.$$ Show that the total number of stars with apparent flux $f \geq f_0$ is $$N(f \geq f_0) = \frac{A}{f_0^{3/2}}$$ and find $A$ in terms of $n(L)$.We have that the flux $f$, is given by $$f = \frac{L}{4 \pi r^2}.$$ Therefore, take $L_{min} = 4\pi r^2 f_0$ and $L_{max} = 4\pi r^2 f$. We thus have that $$N = \int_{4\pi r^2 f_0}^{4 \pi r^2 f} n(L) dL.$$ Is this on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are wrong in final equation.
\begin{equation}
N=n.A.l
\end{equation}
You know
\begin{equation}
n = \int_{L_{min}}^{L_{max}} n(L)dL.
\end{equation}
If we put this to first equation we get
\begin{equation}
N = \int_{L_{min}}^{L_{max}} n(L)A.LdL.
\end{equation}

Other equations are true, i think

Safakphysics said:
You are wrong in final equation.
\begin{equation}
N=n.A.l
\end{equation}
You know
\begin{equation}
n = \int_{L_{min}}^{L_{max}} n(L)dL.
\end{equation}
If we put this to first equation we get
\begin{equation}
N = \int_{L_{min}}^{L_{max}} n(L)A.LdL.
\end{equation}

Other equations are true, i think
Where did you determine that first equation from?

Also, do we therefore conclude that $$A = \frac{N}{\int_{L_{min}}^{L_{max}} L \cdot n(L) dL}?$$

In my equations A is area. In my equation
\begin{equation}
A=4.\pi.r^2=S
\end{equation}
I should have S for this for doesn't mixing the question provided and asked constant.
And also i had mistake in the above post
\begin{equation}
N=n.V
\end{equation}
where is V volume, n tota number of star per unit volume.
And you have to express n(L) depends on variables we know. But i didn't found these method i think in this problem there aren't enough knowledge to get this. This question from a textbook? If yes you may look up the issues maybe n(L) defined by in the textbook.

Last edited:

1. What is apparent flux?

Apparent flux is the measure of the amount of energy received from a star per unit time per unit area at a specific location, taking into account the effects of distance and atmospheric absorption.

2. How is apparent flux related to the number of stars?

The apparent flux of a star is directly proportional to the number of stars in a given area. This means that the more stars there are in a specific location, the higher the apparent flux will be.

3. Can apparent flux be used to determine the number of stars in a galaxy?

Yes, apparent flux can be used to estimate the number of stars in a galaxy by measuring the total apparent flux of the galaxy and dividing it by the average apparent flux of a single star in that galaxy.

4. What factors affect the apparent flux of a star?

The apparent flux of a star is affected by its intrinsic luminosity, distance from Earth, and the amount of absorption and scattering of light by the interstellar medium.

5. How is the apparent flux of a star measured?

The apparent flux of a star is measured using a photometer, which records the amount of light received from the star over a specific period of time. The apparent flux is then calculated by dividing the recorded light intensity by the area of the photometer's aperture.