Application of integrals to find moment Inertia

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to create a project that integrates physics with math, specifically using integrals to find moment inertia of areas. The individual has some ideas in mind, such as a small windmill or fan blades, but is unsure if they are appropriate due to the theory only applying to 2D objects. They also inquire about a simpler project that involves the application of integrals in physics. Another individual suggests that any object with symmetry above and below a plane can be seen as a concentration of mass on the xy plane, potentially expanding the range of possibilities.
Kumaken
I need to make a project that integrates physics with math, involving the use of integrals to find moment inertia of areas. The theory could be read here :http://www.intmath.com/applications-integration/6-moments-inertia.php

I need to make an object that applies the theory above. Can anybody recommend me what should I make?

*note : I have a few idea in mind like making small windmill or fan blades that rotate, but are they appropriate? Cause I think the theory only applies to 2D objects...

*another note : If it's too much hassle, what project do you think is simple that involves the application of integrals in physics? Thank you very much in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
For anything that is symmetric above with below a plane will be like you concentrated all the mass that has coordinates x, y into the xy plane, maybe that extends your possibilities.

Likes Kumaken
epenguin said:
For anything that is symmetric above with below a plane will be like you concentrated all the mass that has coordinates x, y into the xy plane, maybe that extends your possibilities.
I'm sorry but I kinda do not understand... can you please elaborate? Sorry for the trouble.

1. What is the concept of moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion around a specific axis. It depends on the mass and distribution of the mass around the axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia used in real-life applications?

Moment of inertia is used in various engineering and physics applications, such as designing structures to withstand rotational forces, calculating the stability of rotating objects, and predicting the motion of spinning objects.

3. How is the moment of inertia calculated using integrals?

In order to calculate the moment of inertia using integrals, the object must be broken down into infinitesimally small elements, and the contributions of each element to the moment of inertia are summed up using the integral formula.

4. What are the units of moment of inertia?

The units of moment of inertia depend on the units used for mass and length. In the SI system, the units of moment of inertia are kg*m², while in the imperial system, they are lb*ft².

5. Can the moment of inertia of an object change?

Yes, the moment of inertia can change if the distribution of mass around the axis of rotation changes. For example, if an object's shape is altered or if mass is added or removed from a rotating object, the moment of inertia will also change.