Application of the properties of light

In summary: That's more complicatedIn summary, we discussed the diffraction of light with wavelengths of 520 nm and 630 nm passing through a diffraction grating. We sketched a diagram of the image produced from m = 0 to m = 2 and labeled the order of each fringe. Using the equations SinΘ= mΛ/d and d= 1m/6.0x10^5lines, we calculated the angles for the first and second order maxima that would appear on the screen. We also determined the lowest value of m for which the 520 nm line no longer exists and compared the appearance of the fringe at m=0 with all the others. Lastly, we discussed the difficulties in sketching the
Paige

Homework Statement

Light with wavelengths of 520 nm and 630 nm passes through a diffraction grating that contains 6000lines/cm.
a) Sketch a diagram of the image produced from m = 0 to m = 2. Label the order of each fringe.
b) Calculate the angles for the first and second order maxima that would appear on the screen.
c) What is the lowest value of m for which the 520 nm line no longer exists? Justify your answer.
d) Compare the appearance of the fringe at m=0 with all the others.

Homework Equations

SinΘ= mΛ/d
d= 1m/6.0x10^5lines
d=1.67x10^-6m/line

The Attempt at a Solution

I am taking a learn at home course and this material is very new to me. I don't want to be told answers I'm just having a lot of difficulty grasping the entire concept of light if I'm being honest.
I have used the equation to solve for b and c.
The issue I'm having, perhaps I am over thinking it, is that I do not know how to sketch the diagram of the maxima and fringes. How am I to know the distances between fringes and the maxima? I tried to look through other equations in previous chapters but they require another variable, L, which I do not have. Of course without the sketch I cannot solve D.
I was just hoping someone could help guide me into figuring it out on my own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The issue I'm having, perhaps I am over thinking it, is that I do not know how to sketch the diagram of the maxima and fringes.
Just draw what you'd expect to see on a screen. If you don't know what that is, you should look for some pictures of diffraction patters online.

How am I to know the distances between fringes and the maxima?
That's what the equations are for.
You may want to use a little geometry - but your notes should have that done for you.
However you don't need to know to draw a sketch. You just need to illustrate the important points.

I tried to look through other equations in previous chapters but they require another variable, L, which I do not have. Of course without the sketch I cannot solve D.
You don't need to be so exact. It's only a sketch to give the idea.

Paige said:
How am I to know the distances between fringes and the maxima? I tried to look through other equations in previous chapters but they require another variable, L, which I do not have.
All distances will scale in the same way with L. For a sketch, you don't need exact distances, the scale can be arbitrary.

Hello Paige, welcome to PF :)

This is a physics subject that can be nicely supported with internet stuff like here
Google double-slit interference to find a ton more sites. Wikipedia has a nice animated picture.
Hyperphysics is a good site too.

Simon Bridge said:
Just draw what you'd expect to see on a screen. If you don't know what that is, you should look for some pictures of diffraction patters online.

That's what the equations are for.
You may want to use a little geometry - but your notes should have that done for you.
However you don't need to know to draw a sketch. You just need to illustrate the important points.

You don't need to be so exact. It's only a sketch to give the idea.

I know what diffraction patterns look like but to sketch a diffraction pattern with two different wavelengths and label both maxima is what is throwing me off.
Am I on the right track if I use my calculations for part B to help me locate the m0-2 on the sketch? As the angles for the first and second orders are different could I assume that would affect their distance to the central maximum? the 520nm wavelength, for example, is 18degrees at m1 where as the 630nm wavelength is 22 degrees.
So, to sketch I would assume that means the 520nm would have a m1 closer to the central maximum?
Of course doing this I feel the sketch is very vague and won't be scaled correctly.

You can do it for either one?
The combined pattern is the sum of the two by themselves.
Have you seen the diffraction pattern for white light?

1. How is light used in communication?

Light is used in communication through various methods, such as fiber optics, radio waves, and infrared signals. Fiber optics use light to transmit data through thin glass fibers, while radio waves and infrared signals use light to carry information through the air. These methods allow for fast and efficient communication over long distances.

2. What are the properties of light that make it useful in technology?

The properties of light that make it useful in technology include its speed, directionality, and ability to be manipulated and controlled. Light travels at a very high speed, making it ideal for transmitting information quickly. Its directionality allows for precise targeting and focusing, while its ability to be manipulated through lenses and mirrors allows for a wide range of applications in technology.

3. How is light used in medical imaging?

Light is used in medical imaging through techniques such as X-rays, ultrasound, and MRI. X-rays use high-energy light to create images of bones and tissues, while ultrasound uses sound waves to produce images of soft tissues. MRI uses a combination of radio waves and magnetic fields to create detailed images of body structures.

4. How does light interact with matter?

Light interacts with matter in various ways, depending on the properties of both the light and the matter. When light encounters a transparent material, such as glass, it can pass through without being absorbed or scattered. However, when light hits an opaque material, such as a metal, it may be absorbed or reflected. Light can also be refracted, or bent, when it passes through different materials.

5. What are some everyday applications of the properties of light?

The properties of light have numerous everyday applications, such as in lighting, photography, and display technology. Light bulbs and LED lights use the properties of light to produce visible light for illumination. Cameras and smartphones use lenses and sensors to capture and manipulate light for photography. Display technologies, such as LCD and OLED screens, rely on the manipulation and control of light to produce images and videos.