Double Slit Diffraction with Angled Light

In summary, Given that y = the position of the interference maxima and m = the wavelength of the light, I got as far as setting up two expressions, one for sinθ and the other for tanθ. My first instinct was to set θ = 40 degrees, but I don't think this makes sense if I have to solve for θo in the second part of the question. I'm still a bit confused by what you mean with "the condition for each max assuming β to be held fixed." In this case, β is explicitly held fixed at 40 degrees, no? Is there an assumption I'm making without realizing it?
ab200
Homework Statement
Suppose that a laser beam hits a double-slit apparatus at an angle of β = 40 degrees with respect to the normal. The screen is a distance L away, with slit width a and slit separation d.

Derive a symbolic expression for locating the double-slit interference maxima. At what angle θo is the center of the interference pattern located on the screen? Is the interference pattern symmetric about that angle?
Relevant Equations
dsinθ = mλ (maxima)
tanθ = ym / L
Given that [y][/m] is equal to the position of the interference maxima and is the variable I’m solving for. I got as far as setting up two expressions, one for sinθ and the other for tanθ.

sinθ = (mλ)/d
tanθ = ym/L

My first instinct was to set θ = 40 degrees. By relating sinθ and tanθ to each other through cosθ, I get:

ym = (Lmλ) / (dcos40)

However, I don’t think this makes sense if I have to solve for θo in the second part of the question, so θ must not be fixed. I’m confused about how I am supposed to use the given value of β, but I assume it must be relevant.

If I were able to use small-angle approximation, sinθ ≈ tanθ, but does this still apply here?

Attachments

• 16B6B9E7-E7F0-4248-A4F6-400C5457F3B7.jpeg
    16B6B9E7-E7F0-4248-A4F6-400C5457F3B7.jpeg
    27.3 KB · Views: 47
Physics news on Phys.org
There are many ways to do this. Personally I would look at the two paths and figure the difference in distance using plane geometry. ( Make a good drawing of the path near the plate. ) Then write down the condition for each max assuming β to be held fixed

This drawing is from my notes, but this is also what I was thinking for this problem. (Ignore the s1, that’s just a reference point.) I‘m still a bit confused by what you mean with “the condition for each max assuming β to be held fixed.” In this case, β is explicitly held fixed at 40 degrees, no? Is there an assumption I’m making without realizing it?

Attachments

• CBAD53D5-28DC-4513-B75B-8F005D66B9C3.png
    CBAD53D5-28DC-4513-B75B-8F005D66B9C3.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 45
Yes I meant that you are interested in solving for θm (in fact only for θ0 ) in terms of the other parameters.

I see what you mean and why that is the goal, but I‘m still short-circuiting on what to do in order to get there. For instance, I suppose I could say θm = sin-1[(mλ)/d] = tan-1(ym/L), but is that really a sufficient symbolic expression?

And assuming that it is, how does that help me find θo since I don’t know wavelength or slit separation?

1. What is double slit diffraction with angled light?

Double slit diffraction with angled light is an optical phenomenon in which light passing through two narrow slits produces a pattern of alternating bright and dark fringes on a screen. This occurs when the light waves from the two slits interfere with each other, creating a diffraction pattern.

2. How does the angle of light affect the double slit diffraction pattern?

The angle of light can affect the spacing and intensity of the fringes in the diffraction pattern. When the light is angled, the fringes will be closer together and the central maximum will be wider. This is due to the change in the path length difference between the two slits.

3. What is the relationship between the wavelength of light and the double slit diffraction pattern?

The wavelength of light is directly related to the spacing of the fringes in the diffraction pattern. As the wavelength increases, the fringes will be further apart. This is because the path length difference between the two slits increases with longer wavelengths.

4. How does the distance between the slits affect the double slit diffraction pattern?

The distance between the slits, also known as the slit separation, affects the spacing of the fringes in the diffraction pattern. As the slit separation increases, the fringes will be closer together. This is because the path length difference between the two slits decreases with a larger separation.

5. What is the practical application of double slit diffraction with angled light?

Double slit diffraction with angled light has many practical applications, such as in optical devices like diffraction gratings and spectrometers. It is also used in various scientific fields, such as astronomy and microscopy, to study the properties of light and matter.