Applications of discrete mathematics minus software

In summary, discrete math is used in various areas outside of software development, but you may have difficulty finding a job using only math skills.
Avatrin
Hi

All applications of discrete mathematics I know of seem to be in computer science. I want to know if there is somewhere discrete mathematics are applied outside of software.

What can I work as if I like discrete mathematics but do not want to program? (outside of academia, of course)

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, "When will we ever use this stuff?"

I think you are going to have a difficult time. Pen and paper mathematics is great for something you need solved once. If you want to solve multiple instances, a computer is the right tool. The set of applied mathematics where you don't need a computer is much smaller than the set where you do.

To the OP:

You are asking 2 very different questions:

(1) What are the applications of discrete mathematics outside of computer science/software?
and (2) Can I work using tools from discrete math without doing any programming?

For question #2, I will concur with what Vanadium 50 has just stated -- applying math to solve multiple instances of problems can best be done using a computer, so you really cannot avoid doing some programming. Of course, there is a difference between doing programming to solve specific problems, and doing actual software development. Perhaps doing the former may be more to your liking.

Now back to question #1 (applications of discrete math outside of computer science/software) -- various aspects of combinatorics are applied in statistics, specifically in the area of the design of experiments. The field of optimization (which is considered part of discrete math) is widely used in various areas of finance to assess & categorize different areas of financial risk (i.e. credit risk in finance, market risk for stocks/bonds/investments, etc.), and is also used in various business areas in planning and logistics (e.g. home care appointments in health care, production in factories, etc.).

Last edited:
Likes Avatrin

Related to Applications of discrete mathematics minus software

1. What is discrete mathematics and why is it important in software applications?

Discrete mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with finite, countable structures. It is important in software applications because it provides the theoretical foundation for algorithms and data structures that are used to solve real-world problems.

2. How is discrete mathematics used in cryptography?

Discrete mathematics plays a crucial role in modern cryptography as it provides the mathematical tools for creating secure encryption algorithms and protocols. It is used to analyze the strength of encryption methods and to develop new ones.

3. What is the difference between discrete mathematics and continuous mathematics?

Discrete mathematics deals with objects that can only take distinct, separated values, while continuous mathematics deals with objects that can take on any value within a given range. In other words, discrete mathematics is concerned with whole numbers and objects that can be counted, while continuous mathematics deals with real numbers and objects that can be measured.

4. How does discrete mathematics help in solving optimization problems?

Discrete mathematics provides tools for modeling and solving optimization problems, which involve finding the best solution among a set of possible solutions. Techniques such as graph theory, combinatorics, and linear programming are used to solve optimization problems in various fields, including computer science, economics, and engineering.

5. Can discrete mathematics be applied in fields other than computer science?

Yes, discrete mathematics has applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and biology. It is used to model and solve problems in these fields, such as network optimization in engineering, statistical analysis in economics, and DNA sequencing in biology.