Career Advice regarding computational science

In summary, the speaker is a 33-year-old with 13 years of experience in software development and a degree in MCA from India. They are interested in pursuing a career in computational science, particularly in the fields of quantum computing or AI. They have questions about pursuing a MS in applied mathematics for computational science and if their software development background will be helpful in securing a job in these fields. They are advised to have a strong understanding of tools such as Matlab and Julia, which are commonly used in computational science.
Sethi
Hi All

Background
1. I am 33 Year old with around 13 years of Experience in software development.
2. Education: MCA from India which is Equivalent to Bachelors in IT per US (If i am not wrong).
3. Always interested in Mathematics/Physics and not much happy with software development work.

Aspiration
I am very much interested in doing Computational Science by doing MS in Applied Mathematics. I want to work in area of Quantum Computing field or AI Field. I have following questions if someone can help on that

Questions
1. Can i do MS in Applied Mathematics for Computational Science.
2. and will i be able to get work in these areas, If till now i was doing software development.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your software skills should complement your applied math studies and your computational science studies. From there, employers will look at you as an applied mathematician with computational modeling/simulation software skills.

While you’re preparing for school, have you looked at Matlab, Julia, numerical python or open source physics ? These are the areas where computational science budding. Matlab is used extensively by many engineering departments and companies. Julia is an open source variant of Matlab similar but not the same and geared to interoperate with python, fortran and r.

Last edited:
Likes Sethi
Thanks jedishrfu :ok:

I have very limited knowledge around tools like Matlab and Minitab. I have used them for brief period while working on software development for civil engineers(Road/Highway construction & Irrigation ) and some statistical work related to Life Safety industry(Fire Safety devices).

I will explore them further in detail, appreciate your advice & guidance. :smile:

1. What are the job prospects for a career in computational science?

The job prospects for computational science are very promising, as the demand for professionals with these skills continues to grow in various industries such as healthcare, finance, and technology. With the increasing use of technology in all aspects of business and research, there is a high demand for individuals who can analyze and interpret large amounts of data.

2. What skills are needed for a successful career in computational science?

A successful career in computational science requires a combination of technical skills, including programming languages such as Python, R, and Java, as well as strong mathematical and analytical skills. Additionally, communication and problem-solving skills are essential for effectively collaborating with other team members and presenting findings to non-technical stakeholders.

3. Is a graduate degree necessary for a career in computational science?

While a graduate degree can be beneficial for advancing in this field, it is not always necessary. Many employers value practical experience and skills over a specific degree. However, having a graduate degree can provide a deeper understanding of the subject matter and may open up more advanced job opportunities.

4. What are some common job titles in the field of computational science?

Some common job titles in the field of computational science include data scientist, machine learning engineer, computational biologist, research analyst, and software developer. These job titles may vary depending on the industry and specific job responsibilities, but all involve using computational methods to solve complex problems and analyze large datasets.

5. How can I stay updated on the latest developments in computational science?

As with any rapidly evolving field, it is essential to stay updated on the latest developments in computational science. You can do this by attending conferences and workshops, reading scientific publications, networking with other professionals in the field, and taking online courses or certifications. It is also important to continue learning new skills and staying current with emerging technologies to remain competitive in the job market.