Applications of Partial Derivatives

In summary, the problem is asking to find the rate of change of the volume of a rectangular box at a specific moment in time. The length of the box is increasing at a rate of 1 m/s while the width and height are decreasing at rates of 2 m/s and 1 m/s, respectively. At the given moment, the dimensions of the box are l=5, w=4m, and h=3m. The solution involves finding the total derivative of the volume function with respect to time, using the product rule and the given rates of change.
FuturEngineer

Homework Statement

Let l, w, and h be the length, width and height of a rectangular box. The length l is increasing with time at at rate of 1 m/s, while the width and the height are decreasing at rates 2 m/s and 1m/s respectively. At a certain moment in time the dimensions of the box are l=5, w=4m and h=3m. Find the rate of change of the volume of the box at this moment in time. Help please?

Homework Equations

The rate of change is just the derivative, but I am not sure how to write it out with 3 variables, I'm kind of stuck from the beginning. [/B]
Chain rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the box and labeled it l=5, w=4, h=3. I'm not sure how to proceed . . .[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
FuturEngineer said:

Homework Statement

Let l, w, and h be the length, width and height of a rectangular box. The length l is increasing with time at at rate of 1 m/s, while the width and the height are decreasing at rates 2 m/s and 1m/s respectively. At a certain moment in time the dimensions of the box are l=5, w=4m and h=3m. Find the rate of change of the volume of the box at this moment in time. Help please?

Homework Equations

The rate of change is just the derivative, but I am not sure how to write it out with 3 variables, I'm kind of stuck from the beginning. [/B]
Chain rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the box and labeled it l=5, w=4, h=3. I'm not sure how to proceed . . .[/B]
The dimensions should be l, w, and h. Each dimension is changing in time; i.e., is a function (single-variable) of time. The values you show are the dimensions at a particular moment in time.
What you need are the following:
  • A formula for the volume of the box at any time, not just when l = 5, w = 4, and h = 3.
  • The total derivative.
Since you titled this thread "Applications of Partial Derivatives" there should be an example or two that shows how to apply the total derivative (which entails the use of partial derivatives).

If the volume of the box is V(t) at time t, and the length, width, and height of the box are l(t), w(t), and h(t), how is V related to l, w, and h? Do you know how to use the product rule to find the derivative of V with respect to t as a function of l(t), w(t), and h(t) and their time derivatives?

Chet

1. What is the definition of a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant.

2. How are partial derivatives used in real-world applications?

Partial derivatives are used in a variety of fields, such as physics, economics, engineering, and statistics, to analyze and model complex systems. They can be used to find the maximum or minimum values of a function, optimize processes, and solve differential equations.

3. What is the difference between a partial derivative and an ordinary derivative?

The main difference between a partial derivative and an ordinary derivative is that a partial derivative considers the change in one variable while holding all other variables constant, whereas an ordinary derivative considers the change in one variable in relation to another variable.

4. Can partial derivatives be used to calculate higher-order derivatives?

Yes, partial derivatives can be used to calculate higher-order derivatives, also known as mixed derivatives, which measure the rate of change of a function with respect to multiple variables.

5. What are some common applications of partial derivatives in economics?

Partial derivatives are commonly used in economics to analyze and optimize production functions, cost functions, and utility functions. They can also be used to determine the elasticity of demand and supply for a particular good or service.