Applied Mathematics or Mathematics ?

In summary, the person is seeking advice on which master's degree to pursue after completing a B.Sc in Electronics and Communication Engineering. They are considering a master's in electronics and communication, mathematics, or engineering mathematics, and are leaning towards mathematics due to their comfort with theoretical math and problem-solving. They are seeking advice on which degree would be most beneficial for their career in engineering and physics.
Newton90
Hello,

First of all i found too much helpful posts at physicsforums to understand many things and basic principles about the majors of Engineering, Physics and mathematics.

I got recently B.Sc degree in Electronics and Communication Engineering and that was good now i decided to have a master degree and that got me very confused because i have multiple choices. First, have master degree in electronics and communication major, this is of course the simplest way which i don't like it!. Second, have a master degree in mathematics from science department and this which most i like but i have a problem here i didn't study all mathematics courses they had there so it will be added simultaneously with master courses noting I'm not full-time discipline and i have to work. Third, my college provides master degree in engineering mathematics which i don't know too much about it and its future and how it compares with mathematics degree from science school !

I have to note that i feel more comfortable thinking in math and theory problems and i want to do my best trying to switch for mathematicians track involving theories and solving math-practical problems which is the most i like to do, although worrying about the future of the degree i will have and whether it will be sufficient for this huge step or it will help nothing !

Please help me in this decision, Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not quite sure if I fully understood exactly what you're talking about, but in general, engineering should be accompanied by an applied math major. Theoretical math is not going to help much for engineering. Even for general physics, applied math will generally help you more. Seeing as how engineering is really in-depth, ultra specific applied physics, applied mathematics is even more helpful when compared to more "pure," math.

Related to Applied Mathematics or Mathematics ?

What is the difference between applied mathematics and mathematics?

Applied mathematics uses mathematical methods and models to solve real-world problems, while mathematics focuses on the study of abstract concepts and theories.

What kind of careers can I pursue with a degree in applied mathematics or mathematics?

Graduates with degrees in applied mathematics or mathematics can pursue careers in fields such as finance, engineering, statistics, computer science, and data analysis.

What skills are important for a career in applied mathematics or mathematics?

Some important skills for a career in applied mathematics or mathematics include problem-solving, critical thinking, analytical skills, and strong mathematical abilities.

What are some common applications of applied mathematics?

Applied mathematics can be applied to various fields, including physics, engineering, biology, economics, and computer science. Some specific applications include modeling and analysis of data, optimization, and simulation of systems.

Do I need to have a strong background in mathematics to study applied mathematics?

While a strong foundation in mathematics is helpful, it is not always necessary to have a deep understanding of advanced mathematical concepts to study applied mathematics. Many programs offer introductory courses to help students develop necessary skills.