Applying Bernoulli's equation to problems involving a perfect gas

Hak
I would like to know the opinions of experienced forum users regarding an issue that seems to happen often in problems: namely, applying Bernoulli's equation to perfect gas. Is it permissible to do so, even if only to find reasonable estimates? Two examples I found out might be:

- The problem of finding the internal pressure trend in a leaky space station.

-Estimating the pressure change due to a train passing through a tunnel.
(I just don't see how this can be done without Bernoulli!).

Then I also read in an old article (which I can't find now) that it is possible to prove that the viscosity of a perfect gas is well defined and depends on the root of the temperature, but I haven't found much on the web. Does anyone have any idea how to do this? Could you give me some help in this regard?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hak said:
Then I also read in an old article (which I can't find now) that it is possible to prove that the viscosity of a perfect gas is well defined and depends on the root of the temperature, but I haven't found much on the web. Does anyone have any idea how to do this? Could you give me some help in this regard?
”ideal gas” is used more commonly than “perfect gas” in English. I found several links searching on this.

See Chapter 1 of Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot for answer to your question about viscosity of a gas in the ideal gas limit. This same book also has a section on Bernoulli equation customized to ideal gases.

Likes MatinSAR and vanhees71
Chestermiller said:
See Chapter 1 of Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot for answer to your question about viscosity of a gas in the ideal gas limit. This same book also has a section on Bernoulli equation customized to ideal gases.
Thanks.

Hak said:
I would like to know the opinions of experienced forum users regarding an issue that seems to happen often in problems: namely, applying Bernoulli's equation to perfect gas. Is it permissible to do so, even if only to find reasonable estimates? Two examples I found out might be:

- The problem of finding the internal pressure trend in a leaky space station.

-Estimating the pressure change due to a train passing through a tunnel.
(I just don't see how this can be done without Bernoulli!).

I believe Bernoulli's is ok for low speed gas flows (Mach 0.3 or lower), so long as the flow is steady. High speed flows, unsteady flows, and or both high speed/unsteady would need adjustment.

Likes boneh3ad
erobz said:
I believe Bernoulli's is ok for low speed gas flows (Mach 0.3 or lower), so long as the flow is steady. High speed flows, unsteady flows, and or both high speed/unsteady would need adjustment.
Thank you.

Chestermiller said:
This same book also has a section on Bernoulli equation customized to ideal gases.
Is this section on Chapter 3?

Hak said:
Is this section on Chapter 3?
Yes, Eqn. 3.5-12

You might also search for "Sutherland's law" for finding the viscosity of gases like air.

1. How is Bernoulli's equation applied to problems involving a perfect gas?

Bernoulli's equation can be applied to ideal gas problems by considering the total energy per unit mass of the gas. This includes the sum of the kinetic energy, potential energy, and internal energy of the gas. By accounting for these energy terms, Bernoulli's equation can be used to analyze the flow of a perfect gas in various situations.

2. What assumptions are made when applying Bernoulli's equation to perfect gas problems?

When applying Bernoulli's equation to perfect gas problems, it is assumed that the gas is incompressible, inviscid, and flows along streamline paths. Additionally, it is assumed that there is no heat transfer or work done on the gas during the process being analyzed. These assumptions help simplify the analysis and make it easier to apply Bernoulli's equation to ideal gas problems.

3. Can Bernoulli's equation be used for compressible gases?

Bernoulli's equation is typically used for incompressible fluids, but it can also be applied to compressible gases under certain conditions. When dealing with compressible gases, modifications may need to be made to account for changes in density and temperature. Additionally, the equation may need to be used in conjunction with the ideal gas law to accurately analyze the flow of compressible gases.

4. What are some common applications of Bernoulli's equation in perfect gas problems?

Some common applications of Bernoulli's equation in perfect gas problems include analyzing the flow of gases through pipes, nozzles, and diffusers. It can also be used to study the lift generated by airfoils and the pressure changes in gas flow around obstacles. By applying Bernoulli's equation to these scenarios, engineers and scientists can gain insights into the behavior of gases in various fluid dynamics situations.

5. How does temperature affect the application of Bernoulli's equation to perfect gas problems?

Temperature plays a significant role in the application of Bernoulli's equation to perfect gas problems. Changes in temperature can affect the internal energy and density of the gas, which in turn can impact the flow behavior and energy distribution within the system. When analyzing perfect gas problems using Bernoulli's equation, it is important to consider the effects of temperature on the gas properties and make appropriate adjustments to account for these variations.