Applying for a PhD scholarship

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on whether they should continue applying for other PhD positions while also discussing a PhD proposal with a prospective supervisor for a scholarship. They have already secured a supervisor, but this does not guarantee acceptance into the scholarship. The expert recommends continuing to apply for other positions and does not see any issue with discussing this with the prospective supervisor. They also mention that it is common for students to go through the proposal process before being accepted into the program and it is not expected for them to only apply to one program.
Am_Am
Hello,

I want to apply for a scholarship in a university abroad to complete my PhD studies there. One of the requirements of the scholarship is to secure a supervisor who is willing to guide me through the PhD program. A second requirement is to discuss with my prospective supervisor a PhD proposal that I must submit, by the deadline, to the application portal.

A supervisor has already accepted me in his group, and a proposal will be discussed with him accordingly. However, fulfilling these requirements is not a guarantee for being accepted in the scholarship.

I want to take your advice on this:

I think it is wise to continue applying for other PhD positions along with this one, but do you think that I should talk to my prospective supervisor about this before discussing the PhD proposal with him, or is it not necessary? Should my supervisor know beforehand that I'm searching for other PhD positions, which may possibly lead to canceling our proposal?Looking forward to hearing your opinions.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have not yet been offered and accepted a position: Keep applying. I would not expect anyone to say no to another PhD position just because I have helped them apply to a scholarship with me.

Likes member 428835 and Am_Am
I agree with Orodruin.

It's fairly common in my experience for students to go through the scholarship project proposal process before they have been accepted into the program. And it's not fair to expect a student to apply to only one program.

Likes Am_Am

1. What are the eligibility requirements for a PhD scholarship?

The eligibility requirements for a PhD scholarship vary depending on the institution and funding source. Generally, applicants must have a strong academic background and meet specific criteria such as a minimum GPA, relevant research experience, and language proficiency. It is important to carefully review the specific requirements for each scholarship before applying.

2. How do I find PhD scholarship opportunities?

There are several ways to find PhD scholarship opportunities. You can search for scholarships on the websites of universities and research institutions, as well as through online databases and scholarship search engines. It is also helpful to network with professors, colleagues, and mentors who may have information about available scholarships.

3. What should I include in my PhD scholarship application?

PhD scholarship applications typically require a variety of materials, including academic transcripts, letters of recommendation, a research proposal, and a personal statement. It is important to carefully review the application instructions and ensure that all required materials are included and meet the specified criteria.

4. How competitive is the application process for a PhD scholarship?

The competition for PhD scholarships can vary depending on the institution and funding source. Some scholarships may have a limited number of awards available, while others may have a more open application process. It is important to thoroughly research and apply for multiple scholarships to increase your chances of receiving funding.

5. Can I apply for a PhD scholarship if I am an international student?

Yes, many PhD scholarships are open to international students. However, it is important to carefully review the eligibility requirements and any restrictions for international applicants. You may also need to provide additional materials such as proof of language proficiency or a study permit. It is important to plan ahead and allow for any additional time needed for the application process as an international student.