Applying to uni [Undergrad] - How?

In summary, the person is in their final year of high school in India and is planning to apply to universities in the US in a couple of months. They have a strong interest in Physics but are worried about not being outgoing enough and not having any other talents. They will be taking the SAT in a month and are unsure about the application process and how to increase their chances. They plan on applying to Ivy League universities and are interested in becoming a Theoretical Physicist, specifically in Quantum Mechanics. They have checked websites of universities like MIT, Caltech, and Harvard and found clear application procedures for international students. The person is from Pakistan and is concerned about the high cost and lack of scholarships, but is aware of the possibility of financial
dreamLord
Hi.

So I'm in my final year of high school in India. In a couple of months i'll be applying to universities in the US. I have a strong interest in Physics.

However, I'm worried that I wasn't outgoing enough in my school and didn't win a lot of 'awards'. Also, I don't have a talent apart from my Physics (i'd say I'm the best out of my batch /modesty). I'm pretty sure all the top unis require you to have a complete personality for them to take you seriously and not consider you a typical geek (which I assure you I'm not).

I'll be taking my SAT in a month,which is compulsory for all abroad students. What I wanted to know was the application process - what am I supposed to tell them in my application? Is there something I can say/do currently that will increase my chances?

Merci beacoup.

Physics news on Phys.org
Considering the amount of typical geeks (myself included) in my engineering classes, I'd say you don't have much to worry about.

Where are you applying? What you say and do is different from one university to the next.

Well i'll be applying to most of the Ivy League unis, though again I know it's bit of a downhill task since I'm not an outstanding student at school(apart from Physics again).

As for what course I want to do, I see myself ultimately as a Theoretical Physicist. Also, Quantum Mechanics interests me(ofcourse I haven't had much exposure yet, planning on ordering some generic books like Feynman's QED to get introduced to the idea)

Bump.

Surely someone here knows the application procedure =/ ?

Check the websites of those universities. I am in my senior high school year, from Pakistan. I checked MIT,Caltech Harvard etc websites and they have clear application procedure for international students, which is similar to that for Americans. Although I never seriously thought about going abroad for bachelors. High cost. No scholarships. Although they do have financial aid. Anyway check the websites of specific universities for information.

1. How do I choose the right university to apply to?

Choosing the right university can be overwhelming, but it's important to consider factors such as location, program offerings, campus culture, and cost. Start by researching different universities and making a list of your top choices. Then, visit their websites and attend virtual or in-person information sessions to learn more about each university. You can also talk to current students, alumni, and academic advisors for their insights and recommendations.

2. What documents do I need to submit for my university application?

The required documents may vary depending on the university and program you are applying to. However, some common documents include your high school transcripts, standardized test scores (such as SAT or ACT), letters of recommendation, personal statement or essay, and any additional materials required by the university. Make sure to carefully review the application requirements for each university you are applying to.

3. When should I start my university application?

It's recommended to start your university application process at least 1 year before the intended start date. This will give you enough time to research and narrow down your choices, gather all necessary documents, and complete the application before the deadline. Keep in mind that some universities may have earlier application deadlines, so it's important to stay organized and plan ahead.

4. How can I make my university application stand out?

One way to make your university application stand out is by highlighting your unique experiences and accomplishments. This can include extracurricular activities, volunteer work, internships, or any other relevant experiences that showcase your skills and interests. Additionally, make sure to thoroughly proofread your application and have someone else review it before submitting to ensure it is error-free and well-written.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when applying to university?

Some common mistakes to avoid when applying to university include missing deadlines, not following application instructions, submitting incomplete or inaccurate information, and not proofreading your application. It's also important to carefully review the requirements and eligibility criteria for each university and program before applying to ensure you meet all the necessary qualifications.