I'm forced to take a gap before uni, how will it affect me?

• Schools
  • Thread starter FlyingPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gap Uni
In summary, the speaker is an 18-year-old who graduated high school with an 88% average and took several science and engineering courses. They also worked with their country's national space agency and participated in a large science fair. However, due to mandatory military service, they will have to take a year and four months off before continuing their education. They are concerned about how this gap will affect their chances of getting into a good university and if it matters where they study physics as an undergrad. They have been admitted to several universities in the UK and plan to apply to other schools in Canada and the US. They are seeking recommendations for good institutions.
FlyingPhysicist
Hi. I am an 18-year-old guy who graduated HS last July with an average of 88%. I studied AP Physics C, AP Calculus AB and took a uni-level class in Energy physics, among other science and engineering related courses like Java programming, Autocad and Inventor. I Also worked with my country's national space agency, got interviewed on TV for my HS graduation project and reached the finals of the largest science fair in my country. But now I have to take a 1 year and 4 months gap before I am able to continue my education because of my country's obligatory military service program. I was wondering if taking such a long gap would affect my chances of getting into a good university because now I feel that all the hard work I put in would be discredited by top universities because of the large gap I'm forced to take.
I was also wondering if it matters where I study physics as an undergrad given that I wish to continue into grad school after my bachelors.

I got admitted to the following universities in the UK so far and was wondering if they would qualify me to get into a prestigious grad school.
1. Durham University
2. University of Birmingham
3. Lancaster University
4. University of Nottingham

I plan to apply to other schools in Canada and the US next year too, so if you could recommend me good institutions I would greatly appreciate it.

Sorry for the long post, and thank you very much in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Taking a year out should not be a problem for most UK universities. Normally they will allow you to defer entry for a year.

CWatters said:
Taking a year out should not be a problem for most UK universities. Normally they will allow you to defer entry for a year.
What about top universities in the US?

I would suspect that most places will understand if your country has a mandatory military service requirement.

1. What is a gap year and why am I being forced to take one before starting university?

A gap year is a period of time, typically a year, taken between high school and university where students can explore different experiences, such as traveling, volunteering, or working. You may be forced to take a gap year due to a variety of reasons, such as not getting accepted into your desired university, needing more time to save money, or personal circumstances.

2. Will taking a gap year negatively affect my academic performance in university?

It is possible that taking a gap year may have a negative impact on your academic performance in university, but it ultimately depends on how you utilize your gap year. If you spend your gap year productively and use it as an opportunity to gain new skills and experiences, it can actually enhance your academic performance. However, if you use it as a time to slack off and not challenge yourself, it may have a negative effect.

3. Can I still apply for university during my gap year?

Yes, you can still apply for university during your gap year. In fact, many students use their gap year to improve their grades or gain new experiences that will make them more competitive applicants. Just be sure to check with the universities you are interested in to see if they have any specific guidelines or deadlines for gap year applicants.

4. Will taking a gap year affect my financial aid or scholarships?

It is possible that taking a gap year may affect your financial aid or scholarships. Some scholarships and financial aid packages may have specific requirements or timelines that you must adhere to in order to maintain eligibility. It is important to communicate with your university's financial aid office and scholarship providers to understand any potential impacts.

5. Are there any benefits to taking a gap year before university?

Yes, there are many potential benefits to taking a gap year before university. It can give you time to gain new experiences, develop skills, and explore your interests. It can also give you a break from academics and allow you to return to university feeling refreshed and more motivated. Additionally, taking a gap year can help you clarify your goals and make more informed decisions about your academic and career path.