Approximate a spectrum from a series of measurements

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the unknown reflection spectrum of a surface given a known intensity spectrum of light and a detector to measure the total reflected intensity. The approach involves rewriting the problem in terms of a linear system and using multiple measurements with different light spectra to approximate the spectrum. However, this approach yielded poor results and the conversation also discusses the idea of using a base for the color space to simplify the problem.
maka89
Hi. I am working on a linear algebra problem that arose somewhat like this: Suppose that you are shining a light with a known intensity spectrum [itex]P(\lambda)[/itex] upon a surface with an unknown reflection spectrum, [itex]R(\lambda)[/itex]. You have a detector to detect the total reflected light intensity, I. How to find [itex] R(\lambda)[/itex] ?

We know that:
[itex] I = \int_{400}^{800} P(\lambda)R(\lambda) d\lambda \approx \Delta\lambda\sum_{i=1}^N P(\lambda_i)R(\lambda_i)[/itex].

My strategy so far has been:
Rewrite to [itex]I \approx \vec{A^T} \cdot \vec{R}(\vec{\lambda})[/itex], where [itex] \vec{\lambda^T} = [\lambda_1, \lambda_2, ..., \lambda_N][/itex], [itex]\vec{R}(\lambda) = [R(\lambda_1), R(\lambda_2),...] [/itex]and [itex] \vec{A^T} = \Delta\lambda[P(\lambda_1), P(\lambda_2),...][/itex].

To be able to solve(or rather approximate) the spectrum i figured I need to have at least N intensity measurements with different light sources so that i don't have an underdetermined system.
Then one gets a linear system where row k is:
[itex]\vec{I} \approx A \vec{R}(\vec{\lambda})[/itex]. Where row k of A is: [itex] A_k = \Delta\lambda[P_k(\lambda_1), P_k(\lambda_2),...][/itex].

Then I figured to find the least square solution of the linear system.
This yielded poor results so far, but that may be to bugs in the code or poor choice of lightsource spectrum.

Is my approach reasonable? How do I choose[itex] P_k(\lambda)[/itex](This is so far a theoretical probelm, so I can choose them to whatever i want)?
Does anyone know of a similar problem that I can learn from?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rewriting your problem in Hilbert space terms you have [itex] I=(\vec{P},\vec{R})[/itex] where I is a scalar and () is the scalar product in the L2 space. Looking at that equation, you can immediately see the problem: There are a lot of different values for [itex]\vec{R} [/itex] that will satisfy the equation.

Thanks. Yup, I understand that, although my knowledge of abstract LA is limited. My idea was, however, that I can do multiple measurements of the intensity with different source lightspectra [itex]P(\lambda)[/itex], and thus start to get information about the spectrum. For instance if i do N measurments with the discrete delta function(centered at each [itex]\lambda_i[/itex]) as the source spectrum, I can easily do it. But that is a bit too convenient... I'm wondering how to best do it for other [itex]P(\lambda)[/itex]?

What you need is a base for the color space. A good candidate is the RBG color space used in color monitors (and color TV). Based on that concept, you can get away with three coordinates and skip the integral (BTW, this is what happens in a video camera).

Related to Approximate a spectrum from a series of measurements

1. What is "Approximate a spectrum from a series of measurements"?

"Approximate a spectrum from a series of measurements" refers to a scientific method used to estimate the spectrum of a substance or object by analyzing a series of measurements taken from it. This can be done through various techniques such as Fourier transform or spectroscopy.

2. Why is it important to approximate a spectrum from a series of measurements?

Approximating a spectrum from a series of measurements is important because it allows scientists to gain a better understanding of the properties and composition of a substance or object. This information can then be used for various purposes such as identifying unknown substances, monitoring changes in a system, and making predictions about its behavior.

3. What types of measurements are typically used to approximate a spectrum?

The types of measurements used to approximate a spectrum can vary depending on the substance or object being analyzed. Some common types of measurements include electromagnetic radiation, mass spectrometry, and acoustic signals. In general, any type of measurement that can provide information about the energy, wavelength, or frequency of a substance can be used to approximate its spectrum.

4. How accurate is the approximation of a spectrum from a series of measurements?

The accuracy of the approximation of a spectrum from a series of measurements can vary depending on the quality and quantity of the data collected, as well as the techniques used for analysis. In general, the more measurements that are taken and the more advanced the analysis methods, the more accurate the approximation will be. However, there may still be some degree of uncertainty or error involved, especially when dealing with complex systems.

5. How is the data from a series of measurements used to approximate a spectrum?

To approximate a spectrum from a series of measurements, the data is typically input into a mathematical model or algorithm that analyzes the patterns and relationships between the measurements. This can be done manually or with the help of specialized software. The resulting spectrum is then compared to known spectra or theoretical predictions to validate the accuracy of the approximation.