Approximate the voltage with Kirchoff's law

In summary, Kirchoff's first law gives the relationship between voltage, inductance, resistance, and current. Using the given values, the voltage is approximated using a three-point formula. The first four values are calculated using the slope on both sides of the point and dividing by two, while the last value is calculated by adding all previous slopes and dividing by two. It is also possible to use a three-point formula by substituting E(t) for f(x) and using di/dt = (y_1-y_0)/(x_1- x_0). However, using di/dt = (y_1-y_0)/(x_1- x_0) also gives the correct result.
Ryuuken

Homework Statement

Kirchoff's first law gives the relationship E(t) = L * (di/dt) + R*i where L is the inductance, R is the resistance and i is the current.

[tex]
\begin{tabular}{|c|c|c|c|c|c|}
\hline
$\emph{t}$ & 1.00 & 1.01 & 1.02 & 1.03 & 1.04\\
\hline
$\emph{i}$ & 3.10 & 3.12 & 3.14 & 3.18 & 3.24\\
\hline
\end{tabular}
[/tex]

Suppose t is measured in seconds, i is in amperes, the inductance L is a constant 0.98 henries and R is 0.142 ohms. Approximate the voltage E(t) when t = 1.00, 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, 1.04.

Homework Equations

Three-point formula: [tex]\frac{1}{2h}[f(x_{0}+h) - f(x_{1}-h)][/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The official solution is:

[tex]
\begin{tabular}{|c|c|c|c|c|c|}
\hline
$\emph{t}$ & 1.00 & 1.01 & 1.02 & 1.03 & 1.04\\
\hline
$\emph{E(t)}$ & 2.400 & 2.403 & 3.386 & 5.352 & 7.320\\
\hline
\end{tabular}
[/tex]

Using 0.98*di/dt+0.142*i and di/dt = [tex](y_{1} - y_{0})/(x_{1} - x_{0})[/tex]
di/dt = 2, i = 3.10 I get 2.400.
di/dt = (2 + 2) / 2, i = 3.12 I get 2.403.
di/dt = (2 + 4) / 2, i = 3.14 I get 3.386.
di/dt = (4 + 6) / 2, i = 3.18 I get 5.352.

Now the last one is di/dt = 7 but how do I get that 7? For the other ones, I took the slope from both sides and divided by 2. The only way I can think of is to add all the previous slopes together and divide by 2, (2 + 2 + 4 + 6) / 2 = 7 but I'm not sure if that makes sense or why that would work.

Also, is there a way get some expression in terms of t for di/dt. So I can use a three-point formula like [tex]\frac{1}{2h}[f(x_{0}+h) - f(x_{1}-h)][/tex]. Substitute f(x) for E(t) to get [tex]\frac{1}{2h}[E(t_{0}+h) - E(t_{1}-h)][/tex].

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Why do you give the "three point formula" when the problem says "using di/dt = [itex](y_1-y_0)/(x_1- x_0)[/itex]"?

Well my book says the results were given by the three-point formula (or some n-point formula) so I'm trying to figure out how to apply it to get the same result although using di/dt = [itex](y_1-y_0)/(x_1- x_0)[/itex] works.

Do you know if the way I got di/dt = 7 is correct? If so, why?

Thanks.

What is Kirchoff's law?

Kirchoff's law, also known as Kirchoff's circuit laws, are a set of fundamental principles used to analyze electrical circuits. They state that the sum of currents entering a node (junction) in a circuit must equal the sum of currents leaving the node, and the sum of voltage drops around a closed loop in a circuit must be equal to the sum of voltage sources in that loop.

How do you use Kirchoff's law to approximate voltage?

To approximate voltage with Kirchoff's law, you must first identify all the currents and voltage sources in a closed loop. Then, apply the law by writing an equation that sets the sum of voltage drops equal to the sum of voltage sources. Solve the equation for the unknown voltage to approximate its value.

What are the limitations of using Kirchoff's law to approximate voltage?

Kirchoff's law assumes ideal conditions and does not account for factors such as resistance, capacitance, and inductance, which can affect the actual voltage in a circuit. Additionally, it may be difficult to accurately measure all the currents and voltage sources in a complex circuit, leading to potential errors in the approximation.

Can Kirchoff's law be used for both DC and AC circuits?

Yes, Kirchoff's law can be applied to both DC (direct current) and AC (alternating current) circuits. However, the calculations may vary depending on the type of circuit and the values of resistors, capacitors, and inductors present.

Are there any practical applications for Kirchoff's law in the real world?

Yes, Kirchoff's law is widely used in the design and analysis of electrical circuits, from simple household circuits to more complex electronic devices. It is also used in fields such as power engineering, telecommunications, and signal processing.