Approximating square root of 2 (Taylor remainder)

In summary, you need to find the expression for the remainder term using the Taylor remainder theorem, which will be ##\frac{f^{4}(c)}{4!}x^4## evaluated at x = 1, for the function f(x) = ##\sqrt{1+x}##. This will give you the maximum over the interval [0, 1] of the absolute value of the expression ##\sqrt 2 - P_3(1)##, which is equal to ##|-5/128| = 5/128##. You also need to show that the fourth derivative term is largest when c = 0, and not at any other value in the interval (0, 1).
Poetria

Homework Statement

[/B]
Use the Taylor remainder theorem to give an expression of
##\sqrt 2 - P_3(1)##

P_3(x) - the degree 3 Taylor polynomial ##\sqrt {1+x}## in terms of c, where c is some number between 0 and 1

Find the maximum over the interval [0, 1] of the absolute value of the expression you entered above.2. The attempt at a solution

The fourth derivative of ##\sqrt {x}## :
##-\frac {15} {16*(x)^\frac 7 2}##

##\frac{-\frac {15} {16*(c)^\frac 7 2}} {4!}*x^4##
x=1
##\frac{-\frac {15} {16*(c)^\frac 7 2}} {4!}*1^4##

for c = 1 and x = 1

##|\sqrt 2 - P_3(1)| \leq |-5/128|##

Physics news on Phys.org
Poetria said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
Use the Taylor remainder theorem to give an expression of
##\sqrt 2 - P_3(1)##

P_3(x) - the degree 3 Taylor polynomial ##\sqrt {1+x}## in terms of c, where c is some number between 0 and 1

Find the maximum over the interval [0, 1] of the absolute value of the expression you entered above.2. The attempt at a solution

The fourth derivative of ##\sqrt {x}## :
##-\frac {15} {16*(x)^\frac 7 2}##

##\frac{-\frac {15} {16*(c)^\frac 7 2}} {4!}*x^4##
x=1
##\frac{-\frac {15} {16*(c)^\frac 7 2}} {4!}*1^4##

for c = 1 and x = 1

##|\sqrt 2 - P_3(1)| \leq |-5/128|##
I agree with your answer of 5/128, but not with some of your work. Following your work wasn't as easy as it could be, since it wasn't clear to me whether the series you were working with was a Taylor series (i.e., in powers of x - a) or a Maclaurin series, in powers of x. From your work you are apparently writing the Maclaurin series for ##f(x) = \sqrt{1 + x}##.

In calculating the remainder term, you aren't working with the same function. IOW, for the remainder term, the function should still be ##f(x) = \sqrt{1 + x}##, not ##f(x) = \sqrt x##. The remainder term will be ##\frac{f^{4}(c)}{4!}x^4##, evaluated at x = 1, for some c between 0 and 1. You need to convince yourself (and your teacher) that the fourth derivative term is largest when c = 0, and not at some other value in the interval (0, 1).

Likes Poetria
Mark44 said:
I agree with your answer of 5/128, but not with some of your work. Following your work wasn't as easy as it could be, since it wasn't clear to me whether the series you were working with was a Taylor series (i.e., in powers of x - a) or a Maclaurin series, in powers of x. From your work you are apparently writing the Maclaurin series for ##f(x) = \sqrt{1 + x}##.

In calculating the remainder term, you aren't working with the same function. IOW, for the remainder term, the function should still be ##f(x) = \sqrt{1 + x}##, not ##f(x) = \sqrt x##. The remainder term will be ##\frac{f^{4}(c)}{4!}x^4##, evaluated at x = 1, for some c between 0 and 1. You need to convince yourself (and your teacher) that the fourth derivative term is largest when c = 0, and not at some other value in the interval (0, 1).

I wasn't sure if there should be sqrt(x) or sqrt(1+x). Thank you very much. Now I understand everything. :) :) :)

1. What is the Taylor series for approximating the square root of 2?

The Taylor series for approximating the square root of 2 is 1 + (x-1)/2 - (x-1)^2/8 + (x-1)^3/16 - (5(x-1)^4)/128 + ...

2. How accurate is the Taylor series approximation for the square root of 2?

The accuracy of the Taylor series approximation for the square root of 2 depends on the number of terms used in the series. The more terms used, the closer the approximation will be to the exact value of the square root of 2.

3. What is the remainder term in the Taylor series for approximating the square root of 2?

The remainder term in the Taylor series for approximating the square root of 2 is given by the formula R_n(x) = f^(n+1)(c)(x-a)^(n+1)/(n+1)! where c is a value between x and a. This term represents the difference between the exact value of the square root of 2 and the approximation using n terms in the series.

4. How do I know how many terms to use in the Taylor series for approximating the square root of 2?

The number of terms to use in the Taylor series for approximating the square root of 2 depends on the desired level of accuracy. Generally, using more terms will result in a more accurate approximation, but it is important to consider the trade-off between accuracy and computational complexity.

5. What is the purpose of approximating the square root of 2 using a Taylor series?

The purpose of approximating the square root of 2 using a Taylor series is to have a mathematical method for calculating the value of the square root of 2 without using a calculator or other computational tools. This can be useful in situations where a precise value is not necessary or when calculating on a limited device.