Apropos Raspberry PI DIY Mass Spec using Raman Scattering

In summary, this Raspberry-sized computer has a mass spectrometer built in, and it's quite impressive.
sbrothy
Gold Member
https://hackaday.io/project/1279-ramanpi-raman-spectrometer

It's a pretty nifty gadget this Raspberry thingy. A computer the size of a pack of cigs. :)

And a mass spectrometer... I'm not sure what such a device costs but I'm sure it pretty frigging expensive!

• Wow
Likes harborsparrow and Tom.G
Computer science news on Phys.org
Holy cow. I couldn't even manage to edit the video about it right now. It's good to know these things are going on out in the world.

Likes jim mcnamara
Funny little anecdote (and a word of warning):

I don't own a 3D printer but the central library in my home town has one for the public to use (mainly for educational purposes as it turns out) so I enlisted one of the employees. I'm a devious social schemer (at least I like to think so :) ) so I approached a librarian with whom I'd previously had discussions about comics and science (read: a fellow nerd) for the purpose of using their printer for this mass spec project. He was extremely helpful. Actually so helpful that he pointed out (after the printer had worked 3 days straight all 24 hours effectively blocking access to the thing for everyone else) that the LASERs in the mass spec project would deposit so much heat into the components that special plastics had to be used (appearently he actually RTFM - a true nerd)... bottom line is that using this heat-resistent plastic would raise the printer's operating temperature causing it to release presumably toxic (and with my luck probably carcinogenic) gasses into the childrens lounge not far away.

The embarrassing conclusion was that I gave up and decided that this project calls for the ownership of a 3D printer too. And Reading The Fine Manual of course. :)

Likes harborsparrow
"The embarrassing conclusion was that I gave up and decided that this project calls for the ownership of a 3D printer too. "

Not to mention a workspace far enough from human habitation for emissions not to matter. This is one reason we haven't yet invested in a 3D printer. We've been trying to keep plastic out of our living space, not invite it in. But, it makes me wish I had a detached garage.

I love the account of you with the nerd librarian person hogging up the printer :-)

Yeah, I know I'm straying too far off topic now but I'm sure you've heard of those islands of garbage plastic in the oceans. I'm sure islands of facemasks are next (if they float). They're already found at beaches. :(

Man, our children are going to be angry. Not only are we leaving an ecological mess, we're also spending money en masse that they'll have reimburse.

Likes harborsparrow

1. What is a Raspberry PI DIY Mass Spec using Raman Scattering?

A Raspberry PI DIY Mass Spec using Raman Scattering is a do-it-yourself mass spectrometry instrument that uses Raman scattering, a type of spectroscopy, to analyze the chemical composition of a sample. It is built using a Raspberry PI, a low-cost, single-board computer, and can be used for various applications, such as environmental monitoring, forensics, and quality control.

2. How does Raman scattering work in a DIY Mass Spec?

Raman scattering occurs when light interacts with the chemical bonds of a sample, causing the scattered light to shift in frequency. This shift in frequency can be used to identify the types of molecules present in the sample. In a DIY Mass Spec, a laser is used to provide the light source and the scattered light is detected and analyzed by the Raspberry PI.

3. What are the advantages of using a Raspberry PI for a DIY Mass Spec?

One of the main advantages of using a Raspberry PI for a DIY Mass Spec is its low cost and accessibility. Raspberry PI computers are affordable and widely available, making it easier for scientists and hobbyists to build their own mass spectrometry instrument. Additionally, the Raspberry PI is highly customizable and can be programmed to perform specific tasks, making it ideal for DIY projects.

4. What are the potential applications of a DIY Mass Spec using Raman Scattering?

A DIY Mass Spec using Raman Scattering has a wide range of potential applications, such as environmental monitoring, food and beverage analysis, pharmaceutical development, and forensics. It can also be used for educational purposes, allowing students to learn about mass spectrometry and spectroscopy through hands-on experimentation.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Raspberry PI DIY Mass Spec?

While a Raspberry PI DIY Mass Spec has many advantages, it also has some limitations. The sensitivity and resolution of the instrument may not be as high as a commercially available mass spectrometer. Additionally, the Raspberry PI may not be able to handle large and complex data sets, which may limit its use in certain applications. However, for many research and educational purposes, a DIY Mass Spec using Raman Scattering can still be a valuable tool.