Arc Length 3-D: Find Length Between (8,4,0) & (24,36,4log(3))

In summary, the problem involves finding the length of a curve defined by the path f(r)(t) = (8t, 4t^2, 4log(t)) for t > 0 between the points (8, 4, 0) and (24, 36, 4log(3)). Using the equation \int|r' (t)|dt, the attempt at a solution involves finding the integral of \int\sqrt{64+64t^2+3.01778715219/t^2} from t = 1 to t = 3. However, the answer obtained with MATLAB and TI-89 (36.106527) does not match with the expected answer. There may
mknut389

Homework Statement

Consider the path f{r}(t) = (8t, 4t^2, 4log(t) ) defined for t > 0.
Find the length of the curve between the points (8, 4, 0) and (24, 36, 4log(3)).

Homework Equations

[tex]\int[/tex]|r' (t)|dt

The Attempt at a Solution

r(t)=(8t, 4t^2, 4log(t))
r'(t)=(8, 8t, 4/(ln(10)t))
|r' (t)|=[tex]\sqrt{8^2+(8t)^2+(1.737177927/t)^2}[/tex]
|r' (t)|=[tex]\sqrt{64+64t^2+3.01778715219/t^2}[/tex]

At Point (8,4,0) t=1 and at Point (24, 36, 4log(3)) t=3
Therefore the integral is from 1 to 3

from here, the integral of [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\sqrt{64+64t^2+3.01778715219/t^2}[/tex]
is to complex to do by hand, so with MATLAB and TI-89 I am getting an answer of 36.106527, which according to the assignment is wrong. Am I going about this problem wrong? what should I do?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure that by log(t) it's not referring to base e logarithm? Some books use log and ln as the same thing. Also, you have a 1/x when you should have a 1/t in the third coordinate

I am sure it is log(t) and not ln(t). That would make it a bit easier... Thanks for the variable mistake catch... I fixed it...

I get 36.10652942031572. I don't think you are doing anything fundamentally wrong. Why are you sure it's not ln(x)?

Related to Arc Length 3-D: Find Length Between (8,4,0) & (24,36,4log(3))

1. What is arc length 3D and how is it different from regular arc length?

Arc length 3D is a mathematical concept that measures the distance between two points in a three-dimensional space. It is different from regular arc length, which is used to measure the distance along a curved line in a two-dimensional plane.

2. How do you find the length between two points using arc length 3D?

To find the length between two points using arc length 3D, you need to first determine the coordinates of the two points in the three-dimensional space. Then, you can use the arc length formula, which involves taking the square root of the sum of the squared differences of the coordinates. In this case, the formula will be: √[(24-8)^2 + (36-4)^2 + (4log(3)-0)^2].

3. What is the significance of the numbers in the coordinates (8,4,0) and (24,36,4log(3))?

The numbers in the coordinates represent the position of the two points in the three-dimensional space. The first number represents the x-coordinate, the second number represents the y-coordinate, and the third number represents the z-coordinate. These numbers are important in determining the distance between the two points using arc length 3D.

4. Can arc length 3D be used to find the distance between any two points in a 3D space?

Yes, arc length 3D can be used to find the distance between any two points in a three-dimensional space, as long as the coordinates of the points are known. The formula for arc length is applicable in any three-dimensional space.

5. Are there any real-world applications of arc length 3D?

Arc length 3D has many real-world applications, such as in engineering, architecture, and physics. It is used to determine the distance between two objects in a three-dimensional space, which is important in designing structures and calculating forces. It is also used in computer graphics and video game development to create realistic 3D environments.