Tricky integral from calc 3 Arc Length question

In summary: The integral of e^x is e^x and e^(-x) is -e^(-x). So you have e^x-e^(-x) from 0 to ln(2). Plug in ln(2) and you get (2-1)-(1-1) which is 1. So the answer is 1. In summary, the question asks to find the arc length of a given function from 0 to ln(2). The solution involves using the formula L=integral from a to b of the magnitude of r'(t) and recognizing that the quantity under the square root sign can be written as a perfect square. By guessing a factorization and using the properties of
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the arc length of:

r(t)=<e^t, e^(-t),sqrt(2)*t>
from 0 to ln(2)

Homework Equations

L=integral from a to b of the magnitude of r'(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, this was an Exam question, the one exam question that I could not get on our Calc 3 exam. This breaks down into an integral. The answer is 3/2 and there seems to be an obvious trick that I am missing.

r'(t)=<e^t, -e^(-t), sqrt(2)>
Take the magnitude
sqrt((e^t)^2+(-e^-t)^2+2)
Take the integral of that from 0 to ln(2).

There is some trick here that I simply could not get. I spent an hour on this problem during the exam :p.

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement

Find the arc length of:

r(t)=<e^t, e^(-t),sqrt(2)*t>
from 0 to ln(2)

Homework Equations

L=integral from a to b of the magnitude of r'(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, this was an Exam question, the one exam question that I could not get on our Calc 3 exam. This breaks down into an integral. The answer is 3/2 and there seems to be an obvious trick that I am missing.

r'(t)=<e^t, -e^(-t), sqrt(2)>
Take the magnitude
sqrt((e^t)^2+(-e^-t)^2+2)
Take the integral of that from 0 to ln(2).

There is some trick here that I simply could not get. I spent an hour on this problem during the exam :p.

Write that as$$
\sqrt{e^{2t} + 2 +e^{-2t}}$$and note that the quantity under the square root sign is a perfect square.

Likes RJLiberator
I'm still not getting it. I've searched google for 'perfect square' and I see what it means, but how is it visible in this instance?

RJLiberator said:
I'm still not getting it. I've searched google for 'perfect square' and I see what it means, but how is it visible in this instance?

Guess a factorization. If that's equal to (a+b)^2 what do you think a and b might be? Here's a hint. (e^x)^2=e^(2x). After you've guessed, check it.

Last edited:
Likes RJLiberator
Ugh, I sat here and thought about it for 30 minutes, but something isn't sticking out to me.

I know it must be in form (a+b)^2 so that the square root will cancel and the problem will be easily solvable.
Hm.
so we have: (e^(2x)+2+e^(-2x)).
The negative sign is throwing me off greatly.

[itex]e^{2x}= (e^x)^2[/itex]. [itex]e^{-2x}[/itex] is equal to [itex](e^{-x})^2[/itex].

Likes RJLiberator
Oh... I just got it, it clicked to perfection:
(e^x+e^(-x))^2

This way the e^(-x)*e^x cancel out to create 1+1=2.
A perfect square.

And then taking out the square root you simply are left with the integral of e^x+e^(-x).

What is a tricky integral from calc 3 Arc Length question?

A tricky integral from calc 3 Arc Length question is a type of problem in calculus 3 that involves finding the length of a curve on a three-dimensional surface. It requires the use of advanced integration techniques and a thorough understanding of the concept of arc length.

Why are tricky integrals from calc 3 Arc Length questions difficult?

Tricky integrals from calc 3 Arc Length questions are difficult because they involve multiple variables and complex surfaces, making it challenging to set up the integral and solve it. They also require a strong grasp of integration techniques and a deep understanding of the underlying concepts.

What are some common strategies for solving tricky integrals from calc 3 Arc Length questions?

Some common strategies for solving tricky integrals from calc 3 Arc Length questions include using substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. It is also helpful to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and to draw diagrams to visualize the curve and its length.

How can I improve my skills in solving tricky integrals from calc 3 Arc Length questions?

To improve your skills in solving tricky integrals from calc 3 Arc Length questions, it is essential to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with various integration techniques. It is also helpful to seek help from a tutor or professor and to review the underlying concepts and formulas.

Are there any real-life applications of tricky integrals from calc 3 Arc Length questions?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of tricky integrals from calc 3 Arc Length questions. For example, they are used in engineering and physics to calculate the distance traveled by an object along a curved path, in computer graphics to create smooth animations, and in architecture and design to calculate the length of curved structures such as bridges and arches.