Arc Length Int. of r(t)=cos(t^2)+sin(t^2)+t^2 from 0 to sqrt(2pi)

In summary, the arc length integral from t=0 to t=\sqrt{2 \pi} for the function r(t)=cos(t^2)\hat{i}+sin(t^2)\hat{j}+t^2\hat{k} is 2 \pi \sqrt{2}. This can be found using the formula Arclength = \int_{a}^{b}||v(t)||\, dt and simplifying ||r'(t)||=\sqrt{4t^2sin^2(t^2)+4t^2cos^2(t^2)+4t^2}.
cdotter

Homework Statement

[itex]r(t)=cos(t^2)\hat{i}+sin(t^2)\hat{j}+t^2\hat{k}[/itex]

Compute the arc length integral from t=0 to [itex]t=\sqrt{2 \pi}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Arclength = [itex]\int_{a}^{b}||v(t)||\, dt[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the following:

[tex]\\r'(t)=-2tsin(t^2)\hat{i}+2tcos(t^2)\hat{j}+2t\hat{k}\\[/tex]
[tex]||r'(t)||=\sqrt{4t^2sin^2(t^2)+4t^2cos^2(t^2)+4t^2}[/tex]
[tex]\int_{0}^{\sqrt{2 \pi}}\frac{r'(t)}{||r'(t)||} \, dt[/tex]

I put the integral in Maple and it gave me 1.9 something if I remember correctly?

My professor has the answer as: [tex]\int_{0}^{\sqrt{2 \pi}}2t\sqrt{2} \, dt = 2 \pi \sqrt{2}[/itex]

Where did I go wrong? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
cdotter said:

Homework Statement

[itex]r(t)=cos(t^2)\hat{i}+sin(t^2)\hat{j}+t^2\hat{k}[/itex]

Compute the arc length integral from t=0 to [itex]t=\sqrt{2 \pi}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Arclength = [itex]\int_{a}^{b}||v(t)||\, dt[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the following:

[tex]\\r'(t)=-2tsin(t^2)\hat{i}+2tcos(t^2)\hat{j}+2t\hat{k}\\[/tex]
[tex]||r'(t)||=\sqrt{4t^2sin^2(t^2)+4t^2cos^2(t^2)+4t^2}[/tex]
[tex]\int_{0}^{\sqrt{2 \pi}}\frac{r'(t)}{||r'(t)||} \, dt[/tex]
The integral above doesn't make sense, geometrically. r'(t)/|r'(t)| is a unit tangent vector. When you integrate, you get a vector, not the scalar that you should get when you compute arc length.

Use the formula you showed in Relevant Equations - that's what you should be using.

Also, be sure to simplify [tex]||r'(t)||=\sqrt{4t^2sin^2(t^2)+4t^2cos^2(t^2)+4t^2}[/tex]

cdotter said:
I put the integral in Maple and it gave me 1.9 something if I remember correctly?

My professor has the answer as: [tex]\int_{0}^{\sqrt{2 \pi}}2t\sqrt{2} \, dt = 2 \pi \sqrt{2}[/itex]

Where did I go wrong? :confused:

Mark44 said:
The integral above doesn't make sense, geometrically. r'(t)/|r'(t)| is a unit tangent vector. When you integrate, you get a vector, not the scalar that you should get when you compute arc length.

Use the formula you showed in Relevant Equations - that's what you should be using.

Also, be sure to simplify [tex]||r'(t)||=\sqrt{4t^2sin^2(t^2)+4t^2cos^2(t^2)+4t^2}[/tex]

Wow I'm mixed up today. :eek:

Got the answer. I'm not sure what the heck I was thinking earlier. Thank you for your help!

1. What is the formula for calculating arc length?

The formula for calculating arc length is L = ∫√(1+(dy/dx)^2) dx, where dy/dx is the derivative of the function. In this case, the function is r(t) = cos(t^2) + sin(t^2) + t^2, so the derivative would be dy/dx = -2tsin(t^2) + 2tcos(t^2) + 1.

2. How do you find the limits of integration for arc length?

The limits of integration for arc length are found by setting the parameter t equal to the starting and ending values. In this case, the parameter t ranges from 0 to √(2π), so the limits of integration would be from 0 to √(2π).

3. What is the importance of calculating arc length?

Calculating arc length is important in a variety of fields, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It can be used to find the distance traveled by an object along a curved path, the length of a curve or arc, or the perimeter of a shape with a curved boundary.

4. Can arc length be negative?

No, arc length cannot be negative. It represents a physical distance, so it is always positive or zero.

5. Is there a simpler way to calculate arc length?

Yes, there are alternative formulas for calculating arc length, such as the chord length formula or the Pythagorean theorem. However, these may only be applicable in certain situations and may not give an exact answer. The integral formula is the most accurate way to calculate arc length.