Arc Length of Parabola & Square Root Function

In summary, the lengths of the curves y = x^2 from 1/2 to 2 and y = √x from 1/4 to 4 should be equal because the two functions are inverses. To set up integrals that give the arc lengths of the curve segments, a substitution can be used to show that one integral can be transformed into another. This can be achieved by writing the first curve parametrically as y = t and x = √t, and the second curve as x = t and y = √t, which results in the same ds^2 for both curves.
integral25

Homework Statement

Consider the curves: [tex] y = x^2 [/tex] from 1/2 to 2 and [tex] y = \sqrt{x} [/tex] from 1/4 to 4.

a. Explain why the lengths should be equal.
b. Set up integrals (with respect to x) that give the arc lengths of the curve segments. Use a substitution to show that one integral can be transformed into another.

Homework Equations

[tex] L = \int ds, ds = \sqrt{1+(y')^2} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
a. The lengths should be equal because the two functions are inverses. I made the graphs of each on the given intervals and it made sense because they were inverses.
b. This is where my issue was. I was able to set up the integrals.

[tex] L = \int \sqrt{1+(2x)^2} dx [/tex]
[tex] L = \int \sqrt{1+(1/2\sqrt{x}})^2 [/tex]

My issue was with making a substitution to transform one integral into another. I initially thought I should use a substitution involving the inverse of a function, but I couldn't get it to work out. I am at a loss right now, so any hint would be fantastic.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how to solve the second one, but why don't you try trigonometric substitution for ##\int_\frac{1}{2}^2 \sqrt{1+4x^2} dx##? Let ##x=\frac{1}{2}tan\theta##.

In any case, I'd just try to solve both integrals one by one and confirming that the arc lengths are the same, instead of trying to equate them to one another directly. Actually, I think that if you make at least two substitutions, you can possibly solve the second one with a tangent substitution as well. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this; I haven't done Calc II in over a year.

I did solve the first one - but I went back to my assignment and it said do not solve Part B. In Part C, I had to solve using the midpoint rule.

I will try using the trig subsitution and see what I can come up with up.

Eclair_de_XII said:
I don't know how to solve the second one, but why don't you try trigonometric substitution for ##\int_\frac{1}{2}^2 \sqrt{1+4x^2} dx##? Let ##x=\frac{1}{2}tan\theta##.

In any case, I'd just try to solve both integrals one by one and confirming that the arc lengths are the same, instead of trying to equate them to one another directly.

Have you considered to replace ##x=u^2## in the second integral ##\int_{\frac{1}{4}}^4 \sqrt{1+\frac{1}{4x}}\,dx## and see what you get?

Solving the integrals is possible, but neither necessary nor easy.

Likes thejosh
That'll do it! I think I tried something similar but I always had x to the power of something which made is messy and gross. I should have thought to do it another way - doh!

Thanks so much for your help.

fresh_42 said:
Have you considered to replace ##x=u^2## in the second integral ##\int_{\frac{1}{4}}^4 \sqrt{1+\frac{1}{4x}}\,dx## and see what you get?

Solving the integrals is possible, but neither necessary nor easy.

integral25 said:

Homework Statement

Consider the curves: [tex] y = x^2 [/tex] from 1/2 to 2 and [tex] y = \sqrt{x} [/tex] from 1/4 to 4.

a. Explain why the lengths should be equal.
b. Set up integrals (with respect to x) that give the arc lengths of the curve segments. Use a substitution to show that one integral can be transformed into another.

Homework Equations

[tex] L = \int ds, ds = \sqrt{1+(y')^2} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
a. The lengths should be equal because the two functions are inverses. I made the graphs of each on the given intervals and it made sense because they were inverses.
b. This is where my issue was. I was able to set up the integrals.

[tex] L = \int \sqrt{1+(2x)^2} dx [/tex]
[tex] L = \int \sqrt{1+(1/2\sqrt{x}})^2 [/tex]

My issue was with making a substitution to transform one integral into another. I initially thought I should use a substitution involving the inverse of a function, but I couldn't get it to work out. I am at a loss right now, so any hint would be fantastic.

Since ##x,y>0## for both curves, we can write the first curve parametrically as ##y=t, x = \sqrt{t}## and the second curve as ##x=t, y=\sqrt{t}##, so that ##ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2## is the same for both, as are the ##t##-limits.

What is the arc length of a parabola?

The arc length of a parabola is the distance along the curve between two points on the parabola. It can be calculated using the arc length formula, which involves finding the derivative of the parabola's equation and using it to integrate over the desired interval.

How do you calculate the arc length of a parabola?

To calculate the arc length of a parabola, you first need to find the derivative of the parabola's equation. Then, use this derivative to set up an integral over the desired interval. Finally, evaluate the integral to find the arc length.

What is the relationship between the arc length of a parabola and its derivative?

The arc length of a parabola is related to its derivative through the arc length formula. This formula involves taking the square root of one plus the squared value of the derivative, and then integrating this expression over the desired interval.

How is the arc length of a square root function calculated?

The arc length of a square root function can be calculated using the arc length formula. This formula involves taking the square root of one plus the squared value of the derivative of the square root function, and then integrating this expression over the desired interval.

What is the difference between the arc length of a parabola and a square root function?

The main difference between the arc length of a parabola and a square root function is their respective equations. The arc length formula, however, is the same for both, and involves taking the square root of one plus the squared value of their derivatives. Additionally, the arc length of a square root function may be easier to calculate due to its simpler derivative.