Arduino and DC Solid State Relay 'Flicker'

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit configuration using an Arduino and a DC solid state relay to control a motor. The relay is powered by a 7 VDC switched adaptor and is capable of delivering up to 3.5 A at 24 VDC. However, when the motor is connected, the LED in series with the relay flickers at a high frequency. The possibility of a high current inrush causing the circuit to be broken is considered. A revised circuit is suggested, and the power requirements and precautions for the servo motor are mentioned. A revised circuit is provided to address the issue.
LickMyEyeball
Hi, thank you for your help in advance.

I have a circuit configured as shown in this image. I got this arrangement from an earlier thread.

An arduino controls a DC solid state relay, and it works fine when my load is a simple LED. The arduino is controlling through a digital output header and using the digitalWrite() function, so I don't think PWM has anything to do with it. The arduino is powered by an external source: not USB.

Making that load a motor as shown in the image causes problems though. I have an LED in series so that I can see when the relay is closed and power is being delivered. It flickers at about 4-5 Hz I would say.

My relay is the CN024.

The relay is capable of delivering up to 3.5 A at 24 VDC. It is powered by a 7 VDC switched adaptor source right now. The power source can deliver up to 2 A. It is zero-crossing.

The motor it is powering is a simple servo motor. It is rated for up to 6V and typically draws 140 mA.

Despite this, is the flickering caused by a high current inrush and the circuit is being broken by a protective circuit in the servo? Though my knowledge is limited, it seems like all the requirements have been met: the SSR circuit is being closed, and there can be enough voltage supplied and current delivered. I tried putting a diode in series in order to drop the voltage from 7 V to (7-0.6)=6.4 V just to make sure the voltage wasn't too much.

Any ideas?Code included below, if it's important:
//Servo Potentiometer Control

#include <Servo.h>

const int SERVO=10; //Servo on Pin 3
const int POT=A0; //POT on Analog Pin 0
const int RELAY=3;

Servo myServo;
int val = 0;

void setup(){
myServo.attach(SERVO);
pinMode(POT,INPUT);
pinMode(RELAY,OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(RELAY,HIGH);
Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop()
{
val=analogRead(POT); //Read Pot
val=map(val,0,1023,0,179);//Scale it to the servo range
myServo.write(val); //Sets the servo
Serial.println(val);
delay(15);
}

Attachments

• SSRschematicScheme.png
    SSRschematicScheme.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 886
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Resolved:

this issue was caused by a very bad power supply.

Your LED should be in parallel with the motor, not in series. You have an unnecesary series diode to the motor.
Attached is a revised circuit.

Attachments

• SSR LED Schematic 2.png
    SSR LED Schematic 2.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 835
Thank you again!

From servo documentation https://www.parallax.com/sites/defa...tinuous-Rotation-Servo-Documentation-v2.2.pdf

Power requirements: 4 to 6 VDC; Maximum current draw140 +/- 50 mA at 6 VDC when operating in no load conditions, 15 mA when in static state
(they don't say what is max loaded)

Power Precautions

Do not use this servo with an unregulated wall-mount supply. Such powe supplies may delivervariable voltage far above the stated voltage.

Do not power this servo through the BASIC Stamp ® Module's Vin pin, this can deliver voltages above the stated voltage. See the Board of
Education Connection Diagram below for jumper
settings.

Servo current draw can spike while under peak load; be sure your application's regulator is
prepared to supply adequate current for all servos used in combination.

good find, have fun!

Sorry, R1 must be moved to limit LED current, no resistor is needed with the SSR LED.
Attached revision.

Attachments

• SSR LED Schematic 2.png
    SSR LED Schematic 2.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 864

1. What is an Arduino and how does it work with DC Solid State Relay 'Flicker'?

An Arduino is an open-source electronic platform used for creating interactive projects. It consists of a microcontroller, programming language, and development environment. The DC Solid State Relay 'Flicker' is a type of solid-state relay that can be controlled by an Arduino to switch DC power on and off.

2. What is the purpose of using a DC Solid State Relay 'Flicker' with an Arduino?

The purpose of using a DC Solid State Relay 'Flicker' with an Arduino is to control the switching of DC power to a load, such as a light or motor. The Arduino can send a signal to the relay to turn the power on or off, allowing for precise control and automation of the load.

3. How do I connect an Arduino to a DC Solid State Relay 'Flicker'?

To connect an Arduino to a DC Solid State Relay 'Flicker', you will need to connect the control pin of the relay to a digital output pin on the Arduino. You will also need to connect the power supply and load to the appropriate terminals on the relay. It is important to also make sure that the ground of the Arduino and the relay are connected.

4. Can I use a DC Solid State Relay 'Flicker' with any type of load?

No, DC Solid State Relay 'Flicker' are designed to work with DC loads only. They are not compatible with AC loads or high-voltage DC loads. It is important to check the specifications of the relay before using it with a load to ensure compatibility.

5. What are the advantages of using a DC Solid State Relay 'Flicker' over a traditional mechanical relay?

There are several advantages of using a DC Solid State Relay 'Flicker' over a traditional mechanical relay. These include faster switching speeds, no moving parts, longer lifespan, and lower power consumption. They also do not produce any electromagnetic interference and have higher resistance to shock and vibration.