Are arabic values a threat to America?

• Thread starter superwolf
  • Start date
In summary: Quran. Are you sure you're not just misinformed?The video is very poor. I can for instance give instances of several organizations funded by islamic women to defend islamic women.Also, I heard the US official voices saying they were in a religious war against another religion. Intellectually, this is very very low. It is fortunate that those times are over.It boils down to intolerance and "being racist against racists". If you claim yourself better than an intolerant individual, you have to tolerate them and respect their freedom of opinion.
superwolf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ3T2Y2QksE&feature=related

I think this lady makes some really good points. The arabic culture is a culture of honor and shame. If we don't want to live in a society governed by the values of the Quran, we should watch out as the demographics of the western world are changing.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that governments should be in the business of dictating culture.

superwolf said:
If we don't want to live in a society governed by the values of the Quran, we should watch out as the demographics of the western world are changing.

:confused:

Are Arabic values a threat to America?

No.

I only watched the clip beginning because it looked like some BS - personal opinions of one woman.

It boils down to intolerance and "being racist against racists". If you claim yourself better than an intolerant individual, you have to tolerate them and respect their freedom of opinion.

The video is very poor. I can for instance give instances of several organizations funded by islamic women to defend islamic women.

Also, I heard the US official voices saying they were in a religious war against another religion. Intellectually, this is very very low. It is fortunate that those times are over.

humanino said:
It boils down to intolerance and "being racist against racists". If you claim yourself better than an intolerant individual, you have to tolerate them and respect their freedom of opinion.

Tolerating intolerance is not very tolerant.

superwolf said:

I think this lady makes some really good points. The arabic culture is a culture of honor and shame. If we don't want to live in a society governed by the values of the Quran, we should watch out as the demographics of the western world are changing.

This reporter is an idiot. I want t smack her so bad for being stupid, a loud mouth, and asking bad questions.

Cyrus said:
This reporter is an idiot. I want t smack her so bad for being stupid, a loud mouth, and asking bad questions.
I wouldn't call her a reporter: she's a religious talk-show host.

The general point of the woman who converted from Islam is fine (Islamic Jihad is bad), but it doesn't logically lead to the opinion of the OP because it assumes that all Muslims are Jihadists and they aren't. What the OP describes as "arabic culture" really isn't.

that’s a misleading words of one angry lady who puts all her rage in Islam, it’s the background of her people she should talk about as a cause of her painful life. besides, Islam ≠ Arabs, it’s just so pathetic to see how do many people insist to show [the ugly face] of Islam through out individual actions or lives, I’m sure it’s already talked about but I’d say that Islam just like Christianity or Judaism is not and cannot be represented by any one, If you wana know about it read the Quran yourself and look for real sources that is objective, it’s hard for me to trust the media [especially the western media], but unfortunately most people do, maybe they don’t care about them, but still it’s sad to judge a whole because of one.
one more thing, about your thoughts [Arabs hate Americans], have a look at this, you can search for other related ones if you do want to understand those people

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFf897bUW2Y&feature=PlayList&p=9DC6C81CE5B72842&index=0&playnext=1"

Last edited by a moderator:
Which "values" are you concerned with...please specify.

As for demographics...are people in the US switching religions and belief systems to those of recent immigrants (is this the demographic you are referencing)...or are younger Americans (another demographic possibility) just worshipping all religions less?

Arabic values pose a grave threat to America: they are weapons of math instruction.

signerror said:
Arabic values pose a grave threat to America
And they were responsible for the current financial crisis.
Without arabic numerals it wouldn't have been possible to calculate complicated derivatives.
The only solution to the deficit is to switch to Roman numerals now.
Since the Romans don't have a letter for Trillion (or billion or million) the deficit will automatically be reduced.

anyone with an IQ greater than 1 shouldn't subject themselves to Fox news (read faux news) related propaganda.

Ian_Brooks said:
anyone with an IQ greater than 1 shouldn't subject themselves to Fox news
Well it's funnier than Family Guy or American dad but not as good as The Simpsons or South Park.

Which Islamic morals concerning infidels do you infidels find attractive? If possible, please quote from Mohammed, the holy prophet. Peace and Blessings be upon him.

Last edited:
superwolf said:

Forgive me for doing what I don't normally do - answer a question before viewing a link. But in all fairness, this statement sounds like someone who's never made a visit to a passport office in his or her life.

First of all, what is "arab culture"? You speak of Arab and then you immediately start discussing the Quran. Are you aware for instance that approx. 9% of Isreal's population is Arab CHRISTIANS?? (wiki it for confirm...)

Egypt has millions of Arab Christians...

There are sizable more communities of Arab Christians (Christian = Bible NOT QURAN) in Syria and Jordan...

PLUS, There are millions of Christian arabs in South America and Africa as well.

This statement is as ludicrous to me as statements about "white" culture or "black" culture or "asian culture".

Using your logic, should the Swedes or Danes or Estonians watch out for Americans as they would argue that our over-reliance on Christianity (vis-a-vis other wealthy, western nations which are decidedly non-religious) means that we are a culture of superstition and non-science, out of touch with other 1st World Countries? (NB: I'm far from an atheist, I'm making a point here...)Additionally, I dare say, how much time have you actually spent a) reading the Quran b) interacting with Arabs c) traveling to Arabic countries to be able to OBJECTIVELY conclude that arabic culture is one of "shame" (nonplussed about your comment on "honor"...)

I'm going to check out the link you forwarded but quite earnestly, if she's proposing anything close to what you've suggested above, she obviously isn't too well informed about the actual facts...

Phrak said:
Which Islamic morals concerning infidels do you infidels find attractive? If possible, please quote from Mohammed, the holy prophet. Peace and Blessings be upon him.

Beautiful Arab Women
Create A Free Profile Today For An Ideal Partner! Small Fee To Upgrade
www.Matrimony.org

zoobyshoe said:
Beautiful Arab Women
Create A Free Profile Today For An Ideal Partner! Small Fee To Upgrade
www.Matrimony.org

I'll take 72 please.

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=123&art_id=vn20090511055245261C239691

From the article:
Riyadh - A Saudi judge told a seminar on domestic violence that it was okay for a man to slap his wife for lavish spending, a report said on Sunday.

Jeddah Judge Hamad al-Razine gave the example of overspending on an abaya, the head-to-toe black shroud Saudi women have to wear in public, as justifying smacking one's wife.

"If her husband slaps her on the face as a reaction to her action, she deserves that punishment," the judge said.
And then a month or two ago there was the case of the 8 year old girl who was married off to a 30 something man. Yeah, not a threat at all.

Cyrus said:
I'll take 72 please.
I can help arrange that for you. :devil:

aquitaine said:
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=123&art_id=vn20090511055245261C239691

just in case, check out this link

http://www.prophetmuhammadleadership.org/Prophet%20Muhammad%20Pattern%20of%20Communication%20toward%20Women.htm"

I must say, that violence against women is a worldwide problem, and men [aggressive ones] don’t usually wait for a permission or an excuse to slap them, do they?

signerror said:
Arabic values pose a grave threat to America: they are weapons of math instruction.

To be pedantic, so-called "Arabic" numerals were invented in India.

Vanadium 50 said:

yah, and the English numbers are the real Arabic numbers [except for the zero which has the dot shape], I don’t know why do they let go their own numbers and switch to Indian ones?

Vanadium 50 said:
But their use in finance was introduced by the Italians, so the deficit is their fault.

Still, it's lucky that after defeating the 'asiatic communist hoards' a new enemy turns up on cue - I wonder if there's an agency that arranges these things

How about "Is America a threat to Arabic values?". I think yes.

madness said:
How about "Is America a threat to Arabic values?". I think yes.

:smile::smile::smile:

yes indeed, it's just funny that no one here would think of it the other way round, just prepared to slam arabs

Of what value is a value? Is it a measurable quantity? In what units is it measured?

For those who insist the question is about Arabic rather than Islamic tradition, this is the one I like most. It's somewhat equivalent to "keep 'em barefoot and pregnant."

http://www.circlist.com/femalecirc/pharaonic.html"

drizzle said:
just in case, check out this link

http://www.prophetmuhammadleadership.org/Prophet%20Muhammad%20Pattern%20of%20Communication%20toward%20Women.htm"

I must say, that violence against women is a worldwide problem, and men [aggressive ones] don’t usually wait for a permission or an excuse to slap them, do they?

It is true that it is a problem around the world, but at least western countries make honest attempts at dealing with the problem.

With regards to that link, that maybe what it says but that is not the reality of what is happening. In Saudi Arabia women are not allowed to drive, and women in general around the muslim world are treated like property, and in effect have no rights at all.

Rational debate is a threat to america

Why is it that people always criticize things happening in other countries but rarely look at things happening in their own country? I'm sure it's true that certain islamic countries mistreat their women, although I think it varies hugely from country to country and isn't a universal islamic trait. In any case this doesn't seem as bad as for example the US government installing the Shah in Iran or supporting the coo that lead to a terrible dictatorship in Nicaragua.

I once even saw a discussion forum with the Iranian president in a US university where someone asked "how can you justify the use of capital punishment in your country?". How can someone criticize another country for mistreating women when they kill people by strapping them into a chair and basically burning them to death. That's no better than a stoning.

neu said:
Rational debate is a threat to america

Please explain.

drizzle said:
:smile::smile::smile:

yes indeed, it's just funny that no one here would think of it the other way round, just prepared to slam arabs

No one? I've thought that for quite some time. In fact, every time I turn on my TV I think to myself; "If this crap is any indication of our society, then it's no wonder aliens never come to visit. What a pathetic load of garbage."

And no, I did not turn my TV on this last weekend to make sure it still works.

aquitaine said:

Sounds like you insist to talk about Saudi Arabia [since it’s mentioned twice] thus, I must say what I know

It is true that it is a problem around the world, but at least western countries make honest attempts at dealing with the problem.

So tell me, any progress? at the end it still didn’t fade away, men should work on their MORALLS, any other attempts is worthless whether it’s western or asian countries you’re talking about, besides that was one case, if you want the real talk give me a percentage of how many women in what you call [civilized western countries] get beated and busted by guys and I guarantee you will be shocked to know the parallel percentage in Saudi Arabia.

still, you know the [smacking] thing, there are boundaries, as you know [if you do know] the law there is based on the instructions and guidance of the prophet peace be upon him along with the Quran, you may google about it and see yourself.
I didn’t claim that they don’t overcome the limits, some may do, but as I said that is worldwide men dilemma.

With regards to that link, that maybe what it says but that is not the reality of what is happening.

I’ll take that as if you would clear Islam from being charged of this! since the one how started this thread and your link apparently tied Islam to the Arab peoples’ actions.

In Saudi Arabia women are not allowed to drive, and women in general around the muslim world are treated like property, and in effect have no rights at all.

That’s somehow a misinformed idea, the government is working on this, to let’em do so [drive] only those over the age of 30 are allowed I guess, you may say @%$#! but hey, you should put in mind that every nation around the world have something called culture and tradition, it isn’t easy to let, all of a sudden, the women drive when the society is not prepared to accept that yet! [note: some tribes who lived in the desert or far from the main cities, do actually have women drive their cars, I’ve been there], for the other part of your statement [treated like property]…chee, you sure wana this to last long, however, I have friends from there you may never believe this but they are treated like princesses, besides each lady can own a car [change the model every now and then] and hire a driver, and you may get shocked of this; some of them are not working [I mean they don’t have jobs to afford such a thing], most of them think; why would I, everything I may ask for I just get it [the family afford it], off course if she wana work she may. also she don’t have to pay anything bills or anything even the bill of her own cell phone! only if she likes to help the family by her well, but sometimes they [the family] won’t accept it from her cause it’s hers as they believe.

yah, about the head-to-toe black shroud, please think global, don’t you expect to see the world through a mirror, I’m not going to say it again, but if I must say something, it’ll be this; they don’t keep wearing that blacky thing all the time, just when mixed with the crowd [I would say about 7% of their day time or less], they don’t wear it at school/university/at work… etc. the reason behind this, mainly to protect all the people involved in the society, starting from the woman herself [search if you wana know more].

in general, their lives is really active, you know the families there are quite BIG [7-15 person in one family], I mean one may have at least 100 other relatives; uncles, brothers, sisters, nieces, cousins, grannies…you see it’s easy to celebrate at any time:biggrin:.

And about this topic, I really wish you all to understand that each society have different values in life, some may suites you and others not, but after all, you cannot deny that culture or blame the people for who they are, you may choose to share with them the goods you see in them and let what you don’t like, they are the ones who should choose to change if they would:wink:.

I'm closing this pending a moderation decision.

Related to Are arabic values a threat to America?

1. Are all Arabic values a threat to America?

No, not all Arabic values are a threat to America. Just like any other culture, there are both positive and negative aspects of Arabic values. It is important to recognize and respect the diversity within the Arabic community and not make sweeping generalizations.

2. What are some examples of Arabic values that may be considered a threat to America?

Some examples of Arabic values that may be considered a threat to America include extremist ideologies, oppressive views on women's rights, and anti-Western sentiments. However, it is important to note that these values are not representative of all Arabic people and cultures.

3. How do Arabic values potentially pose a threat to America?

Arabic values may pose a threat to America if they are used to justify violent actions or discrimination against certain groups. Additionally, if these values clash with American values and lead to conflict or tension, they can also be seen as a threat.

4. Are Arabic values incompatible with American values?

No, Arabic values are not inherently incompatible with American values. While there may be some differences in beliefs and customs, there are also many shared values such as respect for family, hospitality, and community. It is possible for these values to coexist and even enrich each other.

5. How can America address the potential threat of Arabic values?

America can address the potential threat of Arabic values by promoting understanding and cultural exchange between the two communities. It is important to have open and respectful dialogue, rather than demonizing or stereotyping an entire group of people. By promoting diversity and inclusivity, America can create a more peaceful and harmonious society for all.