What's the Buzz about Superb Tequila?

• Thread starter rhody
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mixed
In summary, the artist is amazing and the music is great. The Tequila is overrated and not very good.
rhody
Gold Member
I took the liberty of searching the forum and not one thread dedicated to Superb Tequila. That is about to change, forever...

You all know me by now, well, most of your anyway. This is a lightweight subject, time for a little fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2S4G52rtMM&feature=related" Awesome artist and music, IMHO of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd9XD5Dj2d8&feature=related" Agave comes from the city of Tequila, go figure...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVKsd8z6scw&feature=related" Paul Reubens matches his dim wits with bikers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GIeCpTZKMs" Incredible artwork in the bottle and stopper...

1.5 Million Dollar Tequila Bottle
Too much bling for me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdTXn5_LvO8&feature=related" I welcome California PFer's of legal age to check this place out, and... report back your experiences... the food looks awesome as well.

I have a confession, well sort of, maybe not, maybe half a confession then, that will have to do.

• I enjoy "turning down the volume on the left side of my brain" and letting the intuitive, creative, non-verbal side get a smooth shot (pun intended). This is the only (legal) thing that does it for me.
  • I rarely if ever get a hangover.
  • I never have gotten sick from it, well that's not really true. I have from drinking crappy stuff with the worm that tastes more like low grade gasoline, long long ago.
  • I mixed some ghost pepper extract droplets in it (yeah Rhody is nuts, lol), and noticed no change in taste, perhaps the tequila neutralized it, maybe someone can address the chemical aspects, I was surprised. The droplets hung suspended, which I found a little weird.
  • I have had fairly good tequila (less than 100$ per bottle, and less than 5 or 6 brands), prefer smooth with little or no aftertaste.
  • Want to know your favorite Tequila for sipping.
  • What is your favorite mixed drink, looking for the offbeat, the unusual, that special occasion, with rare ingredients.
  • I do not drive motorcycles or cages (car's) after drinking, ever.
Rhody...

P.S. Links to exquisite Tequila artwork and artwork videos, and personal experiences welcomed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't justify that! I thought that I was wandering into the (extensive) wilderness with forays into old single-malt scotch. That might take decades. Tequila? Not so much... (Sorry Rhody! It might be genetic.)

I like

1897.jpg

dav2008 said:
I like

1897.jpg
I heart dav2008. I want to marry his avatar, it looks very sophisticated, I can see it in a smoking jacket, an ascot, sitting in an expensive wing chair in front of a fire, sipping fine beverages. *sigh*

I wish I still had the full version (it's on my old computer).

Artwork based on: http://www.angelfire.com/de/scribe/bpdog.html (I did a Bubble-Pipe Squirrel with Pancakes Served Surreptitiously)

dav2008 said:

Artwork based on: http://www.angelfire.com/de/scribe/bpdog.html (I did a Bubble-Pipe Squirrel with Pancakes Served Surreptitiously)
The viking possum is cute too.

rhody said:
  • What is your favorite mixed drink, looking for the offbeat, the unusual, that special occasion, with rare ingredients.
If you haven't tried this yet, give this a shot (yeah, groan, etc.): it's a very simple layered shot (don't be lazy - use a spoon and get it right) with a half Tequila over a half Kahlua. It's particularly effective when all you've got is not a fancy Tequila. The Kahlua follows the Tequila down your mouth and masks the after-taste. For the average person, you don't feel anything for the first few shots - and it's terribly easy to drink - and then you get hit by a sledgehammer. The shot shall remain unnamed in order to respect the PF profanity filter.

Tequila w/Tackle Football

Not a mixed drink, but a very ugly story and the reason I stopped drinking tequila.

Speaking of drinking and games, here's a drinking game that works well with Tequila shots (needs 3 or more participants):

Player A proposes a number (say, a 3-digit number) and an accuracy (between 0.1% error and 10% error). Players B, C, ...etc compete with each other to estimate the logarithm (to base 10) of the proposed number. If the first audible estimate is within the allowed margin of error, the guesser wins that round, and other players (not including player A) must take a shot. If the estimate is outside the margin, the guesser must take two shots.

Player B proposes a number and error bar for the next round, ... and so on.

Variants: Square and cube roots, powers, natural logarithms, ...

I like a good reposado, or a tequila sunrise with fresh OJ. Otherwise, I don't have much use for tequila.

Gokul43201 said:
If the estimate is outside the margin, the guesser must take two shots...

Ohh, I can picture this in the ATLAS Control Room (after hours) of the LHC after a particularly good experiment day or instrument alignment session... Was the five sigma... six perhaps... hmm...

Thanks... Gokul...

Rhody... :wink:

dav2008 said:

Does't one mean Pancakes Served Syruptisiously? :biggrin:

I just discovered this, http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2009/04/30/2009-04-30_drink_up_justin_timberlakes_901_tequilas_the_real_deal.html", a Tequila connoisseur ? Who could have guessed ?

BTW I had a couple Margaritas's in a local eatery last night (with Silver Patron), and had trouble sleeping, up every two hours...

Gokul,
If you haven't tried this yet, give this a shot (yeah, groan, etc.): it's a very simple layered shot (don't be lazy - use a spoon and get it right) with a half Tequila over a half Kahlua.

I shy away from really sweet liquor mixes, in this case Kahlua mixed with Tequila, can you say, massive headache from the excess sugar rush, hehe. The Agave is really sweet to begin with, (before being made into Tequila that is).

Anybody got a sour mix combo to try ?

Rhody...

If I had Timberlake's money, I'd try very hard to become a connoisseur of EVERYTHING! :biggrin:

I think a good tequila would be wasted on me. I imagine slamming isn't probably the best way to appreciate it. I like the song 'Tequila', too.

Last edited:
fuzzyfelt said:
I think a good tequila would be wasted on me. I imagine slamming isn't probably the best way to appreciate it. I like the song 'Tequila', too.

Slamming tequila is an excellent way to buy yourself a hangover, so definitely not 'slammin' good, you are correct.

Let's be honest. Ta-kil-ya tastes NaStY. You want good ta-kil-ya? The high-priced ta-kil-ya tastes like water mixed with 40% pure alcohol mixed in the lab. I suggest a double-blind taste test would prove my conjecture.

Last edited:
Phrak said:
Let's be honest. Ta-kil-ya tastes NaStY. You want good ta-kil-ya? The high-priced ta-kil-ya tastes like water mixed with 40% pure alcohol mixed in the lab. I suggest a double-blind taste test would prove my conjecture.

Phrak,

I appreciate your honesty, I must admit after trying it when younger it tasted precisely as you describe, NaStY, but I was fortunate or lucky enough somewhere along the way to get a taste of the good stuff, combine that with the way I described in my first post of dimming down the left side of my brain makes you feel, no other alcoholic beverage beverage does that. That is what keeps me coming back for more in search of the smoothest stuff (that a reasonable person can afford).

I have tried a double blind taste test. For me I could still tell the good from the rot gut stuff after 3 or 4 shots.

rhody said:
Phrak,

I appreciate your honesty, I must admit after trying it when younger it tasted precisely as you describe, NaStY, but I was fortunate or lucky enough somewhere along the way to get a taste of the good stuff, combine that with the way I described in my first post of dimming down the left side of my brain makes you feel, no other alcoholic beverage beverage does that. That is what keeps me coming back for more in search of the smoothest stuff (that a reasonable person can afford).

I have tried a double blind taste test. For me I could still tell the good from the rot gut stuff after 3 or 4 shots.

Tell me abou your double blind test.But all this may be moot. The best elements of Taquila are expressed in this You Tube video.. If I can possibly embed it...

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usOpFPHx3Kg

I can't seem to embed it, so go here:

You won't be disappointed.

Phrak said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usOpFPHx3Kg

I can't seem to embed it, so go here:

You won't be disappointed.
That's quite a disclaimer/warning. :rofl:

Thanks Astro,

I was thinking the same thing when I watched it... hehe.

Rhody...

Astronuc said:
That's quite a disclaimer/warning. :rofl:

Thank's Astronuc!

rhody said:
Phrak,

Same here... as soon as we're talking about aged tequila you have the introduction of congeners, thus color and flavor. For the clear stuff... yeah, it might as well be mildly flavored vodka. A good reposado really has a flavor, but the modern taste has been to flee from the burn of rot-gut to something sterile.

nismaratwork said:
Same here... as soon as we're talking about aged tequila you have the introduction of congeners, thus color and flavor. For the clear stuff... yeah, it might as well be mildly flavored vodka. A good reposado really has a flavor, but the modern taste has been to flee from the burn of rot-gut to something sterile.

Alright, I'll try the nicer type next time the opportunity presents itself, despite Phrak's dislaimer! I hadn't really associated drinking tequila with savouring the taste/effects.

fuzzyfelt said:
Alright, I'll try the nicer type next time the opportunity presents itself, despite Phrak's dislaimer! I hadn't really associated drinking tequila with savouring the taste/effects.

fuzzy,

Trust me, if the right setting presents itself, say a pleasant day on the water, sitting on the back of friend's boat with friends, the sun going down, then, someone breaks out their cherished bottle of smooth tequila amid lots of laughter and the right mood a good sipping tequila helps make the day memorable, you might just change your mind.

Rhody...

Rhody, I'll try to find the right situation and report back :)

rhody said:
fuzzy,

Trust me, if the right setting presents itself, say a pleasant day on the water, sitting on the back of friend's boat with friends, the sun going down, then, someone breaks out their cherished bottle of smooth tequila amid lots of laughter and the right mood a good sipping tequila helps make the day memorable, you might just change your mind.

Rhody...

*nods vigorously*... very true.

And if not, have some 10 Cane Rum ready for the sweetest mojitos of all time as backup. :biggrin:

fuzzyfelt said:
Rhody, I'll try to find the right situation and report back :)

:rofl:

From another thread, Fuzzy says,
Regarding the tequila thread, the weather here has improved enough to be messing around :eek: in boats, so that might not take too long.
Fuzzy,

As Nismara has said and I agree, the smoothest tequila is Anejo, sort of amber color and aged 1 to 3 years. I was skiing with a couple of friends a few days ago, and we each had a shot, chilled in ice for about a minute or so. The chilling cuts the intensity, because a bit of water mixes with it, and it was so smooth it was unbelievable. I got a bottle of Anejo Patron for Christmas and at room temperature it is very smooth without icing.

Here is what I recommend. Get a good bottle of Anejo, they make super aged Anejo, however, I have never had it, it is supposedly aged for more than 3 years, somewhere in the range of 5 to 10. That I would like to try. Have your host put a shot in ice for about a minute, then pour into a shot glass, and sip.

I think you will be amazed, repeat this cycle once every ten minutes for four cycles, and at the end of the hour report back. Believe it or not the blue Agave in the cactus is very very sweet, so if you drink too much I guarantee a nice headache. In moderation you will escape this side effect. The effects are quite nice, at least for me. I have no problem with the taste, in fact I prefer not to eat anything while drinking it. But that's just me.

P.S. One side effect that appears to be universal if you drink late in the evening, your sleep cycle will include some of the most vivid amazing dreams you have ever had, we (my two friends and myself) all had this experience and I can say that the dreams are "interesting" to say the least. So be prepared. hehe.

Anyone who has had a similar dream experience, please report as well.

Last edited:
I love tequila, but have never sprung for the top-shelf stuff. I'd rather pay for single-malt scotches. There are so many to explore!

turbo-1 said:
I love tequila, but have never sprung for the top-shelf stuff. I'd rather pay for single-malt scotches. There are so many to explore!

Trust me Turbo, if and when you do, there will be no turning back. I am serious. BTW, should be wrapping up the bike by Saturday, with the crappy road conditions, they will delivery it to my house in a covered trailer. Gave the salesman my extra copy of Isle of Mann 2010 in Blu Ray, it is simply awesome. I think he liked it.

Rhody...

rhody said:
Trust me Turbo, if and when you do, there will be no turning back. I am serious. BTW, should be wrapping up the bike by Saturday, with the crappy road conditions, they will delivery it to my house in a covered trailer. Gave the salesman my extra copy of Isle of Mann 2010 in Blu Ray, it is simply awesome. I think he liked it.

Rhody...
I'm excited about your bike. Not as much as you, obviously, but I am so glad for you. My speed-machines have generally been straight-line performers since I gave up the Japanese bikes in 1985. I must admit that I had a gap in bike-ownership for about a year, there, and my friend Rod who owned a Ducati dealership nearly had me locked into a Monster before I turned back to Harleys. Stripped, pipe frame, Desmo valve actuation with no float...I was really tempted. My wife was pretty comfortable with cruisers by that point and for domestic tranquility it was best to stay with cruisers.

rhody said:
From another thread, Fuzzy says,

Fuzzy,

As Nismara has said and I agree, the smoothest tequila is Anejo, sort of amber color and aged 1 to 3 years. I was skiing with a couple of friends a few days ago, and we each had a shot, chilled in ice for about a minute or so. The chilling cuts the intensity, because a bit of water mixes with it, and it was so smooth it was unbelievable. I got a bottle of Anejo Patron for Christmas and at room temperature it is very smooth without icing.

Here is what I recommend. Get a good bottle of Anejo, they make super aged Anejo, however, I have never had it, it is supposedly aged for more than 3 years, somewhere in the range of 5 to 10. That I would like to try. Have your host put a shot in ice for about a minute, then pour into a shot glass, and sip.

I think you will be amazed, repeat this cycle once every ten minutes for four cycles, and at the end of the hour report back. Believe it or not the blue Agave in the cactus is very very sweet, so if you drink too much I guarantee a nice headache. In moderation you will escape this side effect. The effects are quite nice, at least for me. I have no problem with the taste, in fact I prefer not to eat anything while drinking it. But that's just me.

P.S. One side effect that appears to be universal if you drink late in the evening, your sleep cycle will include some of the most vivid amazing dreams you have ever had, we (my two friends and myself) all had this experience and I can say that the dreams are "interesting" to say the least. So be prepared. hehe.

Anyone who has had a similar dream experience, please report as well.

:) I was quoting, but didn't get the quote quite right-
"...there is NOTHING - absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply 'messing about in boats'", Ratty.
http://www.online-literature.com/grahame/windwillows/1/

So be it, I'll search for Añejo, or Cabo Wabo Blanco, thanks!

Last edited: