Are Basics of Cosmology Difficult to Grasp?

In summary: According to these sources, the basics of cosmology are relatively easy to understand, while the more detailed explanations of the theory can be a bit complex for the layman.
kent davidge
Is Cosmology in a basic level more difficult to understand than the other areas of General Relativity?

By "basic level" I mean, in the way the subjects are presented for example, in Weinberg's textbook: Gravitation and Cosmology, Principals and Applications of General Relativity .

Physics news on Phys.org
This is really hard to say. Each author gears their book to graduate or undergrad level and also assumes the student understands some level of math important to the topic of the book.

I remember studying Wheeler's Gravitation book and being amazed as the large and detail in the book. I had studied Tensor Analysis prior to my independent study of the book but discovered that he went even farther into differential forms and I just got lost having never seen these constructs before.

Likes kent davidge
What concepts do you refer to, because I find the explanations given to the lay person by good cosmologists are easy to grasp, easier than general relativity.

• Skeptical
Likes kent davidge and Motore
I think the very fundamentals, i.e., the Friedmann-Lemaitre-Robertson-Walker metric is among the most easy to grasp applications of GR. If it comes to the interesting modern details about the deviations from FLRW, i.e., the meaning of the power spectrum of the fluctuations in the cosmic microwave background or structure formation it gets quite complicated.

Likes kent davidge
For the layman, there's a book by Sten OdenWald called simply Cosmolgy

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1789505518/?tag=pfamazon01-20

which claims to be cover all major topics of cosmology saying:
Everything you need to know to master the subject - in one book.

Its part of the Degree in a Book brand, following along the lines of the Dummies and Idiot's Guide books.

However, Sten Odenwald is the real deal. He's an astronomer, author and NASA scientist/educator:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sten_Odenwald

so maybe there is a degree or radian in there.

Likes kent davidge
Likes kent davidge

1. What is cosmology?

Cosmology is the study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe as a whole.

2. Why is cosmology considered difficult to grasp?

Cosmology involves complex concepts and theories, such as the Big Bang theory and dark matter, that can be challenging for non-scientists to understand.

3. Can anyone learn the basics of cosmology?

Yes, anyone with an interest in cosmology can learn the basics. It may require some effort and dedication, but with the right resources and guidance, it is possible for anyone to grasp the fundamentals.

4. What are some common misconceptions about cosmology?

Some common misconceptions about cosmology include the idea that the universe is infinite, that the Big Bang was an explosion in empty space, and that dark matter and dark energy are the same thing.

5. What are some good resources for learning the basics of cosmology?

There are many resources available for learning about cosmology, including books, online courses, and documentaries. Some reputable sources include NASA, the European Space Agency, and universities with strong astrophysics programs.