Are black holes perfect spheres?

In summary, experts agree that black holes are the closest thing to a perfect sphere, with the event horizon forming a perfect sphere around the singularity. However, the rotation of a black hole can cause its shape to become more disk-like rather than elongated along its axis. The Kerr-Newman solution describes a rotating black hole, which is not perfectly spherical and can exhibit frame-dragging effects near the horizon. While the Schwarzschild solution is a good approximation for many situations, the actual shape of a black hole may vary due to the effects of gravity in the universe.
Alanay
Since it is practically impossible to artificially create a perfect sphere, are black holes the closest thing?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Alanay said:
Since it is practically impossible to artificially create a perfect sphere, are black holes the closest thing?
I believe they are, but better to let one of the experts here clarify it.

Likes Alanay
My understanding is that a black hole is a singularity but the borders of the event horizon surrounding it form a perfect sphere.

lifeonmercury said:
My understanding is that a black hole is a singularity but the borders of the event horizon surrounding it form a perfect sphere.
Yeah I believe the OP is talking about the event horizon.

If the black hole is rotating, the EH is axially, not spherically symmetric.

Likes stoomart and berkeman
Vanadium 50 said:
If the black hole is rotating, the EH is axially, not spherically symmetric.
So just to build off of this, would a faster rotation speed of the BH lead to a more elongated black hole (along its axis)?

Comeback City said:
So just to build off of this, would a faster rotation speed of the BH lead to a more elongated black hole (along its axis)?
I think it's more disk-like, not more elongated along the axis.

Usually when people say "a black hole", they mean the Schwarzschild solution to the Einstein field equations, which describes a static and spherically symmetrical spacetime. A Schwarzschild black hole is not rotating (this is implied by spherical symmetry) and its event horizon is indeed a perfect sphere.

Of course this has to be an approximation; any real black hole will surely have some amount of rotation. A rotating black hole is described by the Kerr-Newman solution (google will find more information); Kerr-Newman black holes are not perfectly spherical and also do strange things like frame-dragging. These effects are most pronounced near the horizon, so the Schwarzschild solution is a good approximation for many situations. For example, the precession of Mercury, deflection of light by the sun, and the Shapiro effect are all adequately explained by the Schwarzschild solution applied to the sun and ignoring its rotation. (The sun is not a black hole of course, but the Kerr-Newman and Schwarzschild solutions apply to things that aren't black holes too).

Likes cb_myaa
phinds said:
I think it's more disk-like, not more elongated along the axis.
But is it the ergosphere that is disk-like, or the event horizon itself?

Comeback City said:
But is it the ergosphere that is disk-like, or the event horizon itself?
Aaargh ... frame dragging, that really gets on my nerves.
/jk

rootone said:
Aaargh ... frame dragging, that really gets on my nerves.
/jk
AAAARGH! I'm sorry for my pitiful question :sorry: :DD

IIRC the Kerr-Newman metric is mathematically valid, so I concur with Nugatory.

I'll go check. I'll let you know what I find out.

Likes Thomas Wown
It can't be a perfect sphere. Too much gravity around the Universe so the shape will definitely change accordingly.

Related to Are black holes perfect spheres?

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and collapses in on itself.

2. Are black holes perfect spheres?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, black holes are predicted to be perfect spheres due to the uniformity of their gravitational pull. However, factors such as rotation and the presence of matter can cause slight distortions.

3. How are black holes measured?

Black holes cannot be directly observed, so their properties are inferred through their effects on surrounding matter and light. Scientists use telescopes and advanced mathematical models to study these effects and estimate the size and mass of a black hole.

4. Do all black holes have the same shape?

No, the shape of a black hole can vary depending on its size and rotation. Smaller black holes tend to be more spherical, while larger ones can be more oblong. They can also have different shapes if they are influenced by the gravitational pull of nearby objects.

5. Are there any perfect spheres in the universe?

Perfect spheres are rare in the universe, as they require a uniform distribution of mass and rotation. While black holes are close to being perfect spheres, they are not entirely so due to the factors mentioned above. The closest thing to a perfect sphere in the universe is probably a neutron star.