Are Brake Pads Affecting My Car's Stopping Distance?

• B
  • Thread starter Noah159
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brake
In summary, the conversation discusses the stopping distance of two cars, with one person guessing that car A's distance will be slightly longer than car B's. The conversation also mentions a question posted on Reddit and adds in some assumptions to find a possible answer. It is noted that if these assumptions are true, the stopping distance should be the same due to dry friction being linear. The conversation concludes with a comment about different braking techniques not significantly affecting the distance or time.
Noah159
TL;DR Summary
Say: CAR A =has 4 correctly tightened brake pads.

CAR B = has 3 correctly tightened brake pads and one overly tightened brake pad (let's take front right).

The cars are the same except for the differences written above.

When a driver pushes down the brake pedal with the same force, how will the braking distance and time differ? (Car B obviously starts turning to the right, leading to change in affecting forces, even if insignificant)
My guess is that distance Car A needs to travel until it stops is longer than car B (not by much), and so it the time.

I also posted this question to reddit, if you want to check it out :

I got the answer, but unsure of it's legitimacy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think we have enough information to answer without adding in some assumptions...

1. No skidding/locking
2. Equal total applied force

If these are true, then I would think the stopping distance should be the same, since dry friction is pretty linear.

russ_watters said:
I don't think we have enough information to answer without adding in some assumptions...

1. No skidding/locking
2. Equal total applied force

If these are true, then I would think the stopping distance should be the same, since dry friction is pretty linear.

Alright, thanks. I figured out what I asked for, however it is interesting to know that breaking in a line compared to braking in an angle does not drastically affect the braking distance / time. Thanks

Last edited:
What do you mean "overly tightened"?

1. How do brake pads affect my car's stopping distance?

Brake pads are a crucial component of your car's braking system. They create friction against the rotors, allowing your car to slow down and stop. If your brake pads are worn out or damaged, they will not be able to create enough friction, resulting in a longer stopping distance.

2. How often should I replace my brake pads?

It is recommended to replace your brake pads every 30,000 to 70,000 miles, depending on your driving habits and the type of brake pads you have. It is important to have them inspected regularly and replaced when they start to show signs of wear and tear.

3. What are the signs of worn brake pads?

Some common signs of worn brake pads include squeaking or grinding noises when braking, a pulsating brake pedal, longer stopping distance, and a dashboard warning light. If you notice any of these signs, it is important to have your brake pads checked and replaced if necessary.

4. Can low-quality brake pads affect my car's stopping distance?

Yes, low-quality brake pads can significantly affect your car's stopping distance. They may not be able to create enough friction and may wear out faster, resulting in a longer stopping distance. It is important to invest in high-quality brake pads for optimal performance and safety.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect my car's stopping distance?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect your car's stopping distance, such as the condition of your tires, the weight of your vehicle, and road conditions. It is important to regularly maintain your car and stay alert while driving to ensure safe braking and stopping.