Are Camera Flashes Deadly? Shocking Truth Behind Fatal Camera Incidents

In summary: Additionally, if the camera had been left on and the flash fired, it would have turned on the camera and taken a picture. In summary, if you are holding a camera and take a picture with the flash it may be dangerous because you may be electrocuted.
Didiyy
killed by camera flash??!

i've read a story from somewhere. a guy was trying to take photos using his camera. unfortunately he was standing near a high-voltage substation. once the camera flashed,
he was killed immediately. they said that the electric current flows trough the camera flash to his body. is this true? how can this be possible?

Physics news on Phys.org

Didiyy said:
i've read a story from somewhere. a guy was trying to take photos using his camera. unfortunately he was standing near a high-voltage substation. once the camera flashed,
he was killed immediately. they said that the electric current flows trough the camera flash to his body. is this true? how can this be possible?

Sounds like total nonsense to me

"I've read a story somewhere" is not an acceptable source. You have to point us to it if you want to discuss it.

The origin of this seems to be an Indian student who climbed onto the top of a train in order to photograph a group of friends, after that it becomes confusing as to the voltage of the cables that killed him. Google camera flash death.

Didiyy said:
Welcome to physics forums, Didiyy! http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/8645/mythbusterssmiley.gif

To my mind the story has credibility—providing it happened maybe 60 or more years ago. In the early days of flash photography the camera operator ignited a pan of magnesium powder to generate an intense flash of light. Ignition was almost explosive and threw up a cloud of white oxide, together with unignited magnesium dust. If this cloud were to envelop high voltage overhead lines there may be a flash over through the magnesium cloud to ground, and with the camera operator holding the ground electrode (aka, flash pan) high in his upheld hand, he would not stand a chance. He would have to be unlucky, certainly, but igniting flares or flash pans in the vicinity of early substations could conceivably be recklessly tempting fate.

Last edited by a moderator:

I doubt anything like that could have occurred with a modern day camera; unless they had a stroke. I don't know.

I think it more likely touching the high voltage line generated a flash or perhaps even triggered the camera/flash?

Don't some electronic camera flashes use some pretty stout capacitors? Consider this scenerio...

The camera has been dropped, it's case is cracked in multiple locations. The day is hot causing the photographer to sweat. Sweat seeps into the cracks and contacts circuitry for the flash in 2 places. The photographer is holding the camera with both hands. When the flash goes off current from the capacitor travels through the sweat/cracks in the case to one hand, up the arm, across the chest, back down the other arm and back into the camera through another crack. Perhaps the photographer has a pace-maker or other heart condition which makes him more susceptible to electric shock.

1. Can a camera flash really be deadly?

Yes, under certain circumstances, a camera flash can be deadly. Although rare, there have been cases where individuals with pre-existing conditions, such as epilepsy or heart conditions, have experienced adverse reactions to camera flashes, including seizures and cardiac arrest.

2. What causes these fatal incidents with camera flashes?

The main cause of these incidents is a condition called photosensitive epilepsy, which is triggered by flashing or flickering lights. The rapid and intense flashes of a camera can stimulate the brain and potentially trigger a seizure in individuals with this condition.

3. Are all camera flashes equally dangerous?

No, not all camera flashes are equally dangerous. The intensity and frequency of the flashes can vary between different cameras, and some may be more likely to trigger seizures than others. Additionally, the distance between the person and the camera can also play a role in the potential danger of the flash.

4. Can anyone be affected by a camera flash?

No, only individuals with photosensitive epilepsy or other underlying health conditions are at risk of experiencing a negative reaction to a camera flash. For the majority of people, a camera flash is not harmful.

5. How can I protect myself and others from potential harm from camera flashes?

If you or someone you know has photosensitive epilepsy or other health conditions that may be triggered by flashing lights, it is important to avoid or limit exposure to camera flashes. This can be done by keeping a safe distance from cameras that are taking photos or videos, and by informing the photographer of the potential risks beforehand. Additionally, it is important to seek medical advice and treatment for any underlying health conditions that may put you at risk.