Are chemical messages between proteins intermolecular forces

In summary, intermolecular forces are forces of attraction or repulsion between neighboring particles, such as atoms, molecules, or ions. Proteins, being complex molecules, constantly interact with each other and send chemical messages through messenger and receptor proteins. These interactions and messages are considered to be weak intermolecular forces. However, cell signaling is actually more in the domain of intramolecular forces, as the molecules bind together when delivering a message. Intermolecular forces are the forces that occur between different messenger and receptor proteins while they are floating around, looking for the right connection. When two proteins that are not compatible meet and avoid each other, the repelling force between them is driven by intramolecular force. This is because even though they
icakeov
This question might be a stretch, but I was just reading about inter- and intra-molecular forces.

And I found that "Intermolecular forces (IMFs) are forces of attraction or repulsion which act between neighboring particles (atoms, molecules, or ions)"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermolecular_force

Since proteins are complex molecules, and they constantly interact with each other and send "chemical messages" between messenger and receptor proteins, does that mean these "interactions" and "messages" would be in the weak "intermolecular forces"?
http://indianapublicmedia.org/amomentofscience/proteins-communicate/

Thanks for any thoughts!

Biology news on Phys.org
I do realize that cell signaling is actually more in the intramolecular force domain, because the molecules actually bind together when "delivering a message". So I guess that intermolecular forces are all the the forces that happen between different messenger and receptor proteins while they float around, looking for the right connection.

Furthermore, when two proteins that are not "compatible" meet and "avoid" each other, would one say that the "repelling force" between them was driven by intramolecular force? i.e. just because they didn't bind, that doesn't necessarily mean that the force that was playing out still wasn't an intramolecular one...

Any thoughts on this would be super appreciated!

icakeov said:
Furthermore, when two proteins that are not "compatible" meet and "avoid" each other, would one say that the "repelling force" between them was driven by intramolecular force? i.e. just because they didn't bind, that doesn't necessarily mean that the force that was playing out still wasn't an intramolecular one...

I think that the Van der Waals force is considered intermolecular and repels at such short distances. See: Van der Waals radius

There are other ways to mathematically describe force fields that would be more up your alley, see this list.

Likes icakeov
Great, thanks @Fervent Freyja ! Exactly what I was looking for! There are so many of them! Amazing.

Likes Fervent Freyja

1. What are intermolecular forces?

Intermolecular forces are attractive or repulsive forces between molecules. They are responsible for the physical properties of substances, such as melting and boiling points, as well as the behavior of molecules in a liquid or solid state.

2. How do intermolecular forces affect protein interactions?

Intermolecular forces play a crucial role in protein interactions. They determine how proteins bind to each other and to other molecules, and can also affect the folding and stability of proteins. Without these forces, proteins would not be able to perform their functions in the body.

3. Are chemical messages between proteins a form of intermolecular forces?

Yes, chemical messages between proteins can be considered a form of intermolecular forces. These messages can be in the form of small molecules or ions that bind to specific sites on proteins, causing changes in their structure and function. This is an important way for proteins to communicate and coordinate their activities within cells.

4. How do intermolecular forces contribute to protein signaling?

Intermolecular forces are essential for protein signaling. They allow for the binding of signaling molecules to receptors on proteins, triggering a cascade of events that ultimately lead to a response in the cell. Without these forces, protein signaling would not be possible.

5. Can intermolecular forces be manipulated to alter protein interactions?

Yes, intermolecular forces can be manipulated through various methods, such as changing temperature, pH, or adding specific molecules, in order to alter protein interactions. This can have important implications in fields such as drug development, where targeting specific intermolecular forces can lead to desired changes in protein behavior.