Are density and resistivity proportional?

In summary, while reading a book, it was mentioned that the conductance of a metal depends on its density and resistivity. However, resistivity and conductivity are inversely proportional to each other. This relationship is not directly related to density, but rather to the definition of conductivity and resistivity. The original source of this information is a 12th grade Indian textbook. However, it may be a mis-translation. The relationship between conductivity and density is complex and not very meaningful, as shown by the example of silver and gold having different conductivities but similar densities.
Rushikesh Sarda
Today while reading a book i read that conductance of a metal depends on its density. But it is also dependent on its resistivity. Does that mean that resistivity and conductivity are proportional to each other?

Physics news on Phys.org
And Also mention the relation between them

Conductivity is the inverse of resistivity. So they are inverse proportional. But this has nothing to do with density. It's just the definition.

I am afraid you may be quoting the book incorrectly, too. Where did you read this?

+1 to what Nasu said.

Silver is a better conductor than gold but gold is denser.

nasu said:
Conductivity is the inverse of resistivity. So they are inverse proportional. But this has nothing to do with density. It's just the definition.

I am afraid you may be quoting the book incorrectly, too. Where did you read this?

I read it in My Indian book of my 12th Class. It Says that conductance Depends On the "Density of the Metal." I'm not quoting that incorrectly . It is The same Thing Written In the Book.

It may be a miss-translation too. Is the original in English?
The conductance is a property of a given resistor whereas conductivity is a material property. Like we have resistance (for a given resistor) and resistivity (for a material).

The conductivity (material property) depends on the carrier concentration which indeed depends on the atom concentration. Density too depends on the atom concentration but also on the atomic mass. So the relationship is convoluted. And not very meaningful, as was shown by the example given above by CWatters. You can (in principle) have metals with the same density but with very different conductivities.

Likes Rushikesh Sarda

1. What is density and resistivity?

Density is the measure of how much mass is contained within a given volume. Resistivity, also known as electrical resistivity, is the measure of a material's ability to resist the flow of electric current.

2. Are density and resistivity directly proportional?

No, density and resistivity are not directly proportional to each other. While both are physical properties of a material, they are not dependent on each other.

3. How are density and resistivity related?

Density and resistivity are indirectly related to each other through the concept of specific resistance, which is the resistivity of a material divided by its density. This means that materials with higher densities tend to have higher resistivities.

4. Can density and resistivity change?

Yes, both density and resistivity can change depending on various factors such as temperature, pressure, and composition of the material. For example, as temperature increases, resistivity tends to increase while density decreases.

5. Is there a mathematical relationship between density and resistivity?

While there is no direct relationship between density and resistivity, there are mathematical equations that can be used to calculate the specific resistance or resistivity of a material. These equations take into account the material's density, along with other factors such as temperature and composition.