Are Force carriers real or not

• I
  • Thread starter ftr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Qft
In summary: There isn't really any such thing as a "virtual particle"; it's just a term in a perturbation expansion.
ftr
Physics news on Phys.org
Experiments detect W, Z, photons etc. as final scattering states, not as intermediate force carriers.

Demystifier said:
Experiments detect W, Z, photons etc. as final scattering states, not as intermediate force carriers.

So modern physics particles play hide and seek. Just like the higgs particle, its field cannot be detected and the particle itself does not exist naturally but we can recreate them in experiments, i.e. give their vacuum enough energy by exciting the constituent fields of the proton with a lot of energy to overspill to the higgs field. Something similar with W, Z in actual nature they don't exist their "virtual" exist hence their fields must be their and we must pump energy into their fields to find them by our lucky star process that converts them to gama rays for us to detect. Say, not even Morgan Freeman can make it so melodramatic.:wink:

Seriusly
, is my description approximately correct, if not why not. Thanks

Last edited:
ftr said:
how is it that experiments detect W,Z,PI

Because they're not measuring them indirectly by measuring the effects of the interactions they mediate on other particles. They are measuring them directly by pumping enough energy into the system to make W, Z, etc. particles without them mediating any interactions.

ftr said:
Just like the higgs particle, its field cannot be detected

Sure it can. Just not directly. But it has plenty of indirect effects, such as the masses of the W and Z bosons. That's how physicists knew roughly what kind of device they would need to build to make Higgs particles directly.

ftr said:
he particle itself does not exist naturally but we can recreate them in experiments

Sure. What's wrong with that? We did the same thing with all of the chemical elements beyond uranium (plus technetium and prometheum, both of which are lighter than uranium). They don't occur naturally, but we can make them in experiments. Does that mean they are playing "hide and seek"?

Thank you PeterDonis. Can you make a comment regarding the red text in the OP.

ftr said:
Can you make a comment regarding the red text in the OP.

What about it? The statement is perfectly true, and doesn't mean what you apparently think it means. Is that what you wanted to know?

PeterDonis said:
doesn't mean what you apparently think it means.

What do you think it means?

ftr said:
What do you think it means?

Just what it says: the notion of "force carrier particles" does not make sense outside of perturbation theory. Which has nothing to do with how experiments detect W, Z, etc., because, as @Demystifier and I have explained, experiments don't detect "force carrier particles", they detect particles that aren't mediating any interactions.

Likes Demystifier
PeterDonis said:
Just what it says: the notion of "force carrier particles" does not make sense outside of perturbation theory. Which has nothing to do with how experiments detect W, Z, etc., because, as @Demystifier and I have explained, experiments don't detect "force carrier particles", they detect particles that aren't mediating any interactions.

To me I interpret the wiki as saying there may not be a mediating particle as such, so why do we insist that we can detect them even though they are artifacts of the method.

ftr said:
To me I interpret the wiki as saying there may not be a mediating particle as such, so why do we insist that we can detect them even though they are artifacts of the method.
The direct detection of W,Z and Higgs has nothing to do with perturbation theory. It is a completely different method. What you quoted is irrelevant for it.

mfb said:
The direct detection of W,Z and Higgs has nothing to do with perturbation theory. It is a completely different method. What you quoted is irrelevant for it.

That is not what I said.

W, Z etc. are not "mediating" particles per se. They are just real particles, corresponding to fields which show up in the standard model lagrangian. As such, they are still there in non-perturbative QFT. In perturbation theory, they can show up as "external legs" in Feynman diagrams, ie. as actual particles coming in or out of scattering processes, OR they can show up as internal lines, or "virtual particles". Now, you can (and should) say that virtual particles don't really "exist" in any meaningful way, since they are just the product of a perturbative expansion and don't show up in non-perturbative methods. But they still have "real" counterparts, which do exist outside of perturbation theory (and which we can actually measure)!

ftr said:
That is not what I said.
That is exactly the problem.

protonsarecool said:
they are still there in non-perturbative QFT

Ok thanks. Can you give reference please.

ftr said:
I interpret the wiki as saying there may not be a mediating particle as such, so why do we insist that we can detect them even though they are artifacts of the method.

Your interpretation is wrong. Saying that the concept of "force carrier particle" does not make sense outside of perturbation theory is not the same as saying that W, Z, etc. are "artifacts of the method". They're not. They are real quantum fields, which under appropriate conditions take on states that can be detected as real particles by our detectors. The only "artifact of the method" is viewing terms in a mathematical perturbation expansion as "force carrier particles"; but these "particles" are not the same as the particles detected by our detectors. They are different states of the quantum fields; the fact that the word "particle" happens to appear in the ordinary language description of both is irrelevant to the actual physics.

ftr said:
Can you give reference please.

No, you need to give a reference--a textbook or peer-reviewed paper, not a Wiki article--that supports your claims if you want to continue making them despite the corrections you have already received. And at this point you will need to do so by PM to me, since I am closing this thread because the question you asked has already been answered, repeatedly.

1. What are force carriers?

Force carriers are particles that mediate interactions between other particles. They are responsible for transmitting the fundamental forces of nature, such as electromagnetism and the strong and weak nuclear forces.

2. Are force carriers real or just theoretical?

Force carriers are real particles that have been observed and studied in experiments. However, their properties and behaviors are described by theoretical models and equations.

3. How do force carriers work?

Force carriers work by exchanging energy and momentum between particles, causing them to interact with each other. For example, photons are the force carrier for the electromagnetic force, and they transfer energy between charged particles.

4. Can force carriers be detected?

Yes, force carriers can be detected indirectly through their interactions with other particles. Scientists use particle accelerators and detectors to study these interactions and observe the effects of force carriers.

5. Do all forces have a corresponding force carrier?

Yes, each of the four fundamental forces (gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force) has a corresponding force carrier. However, the force carriers for gravity (gravitons) and the strong nuclear force (gluons) have not been directly observed yet.