Are fundamental particles like electrons and protons truly matter waves?

In summary: It does not have to be localised.In summary, fundamental particles such as electrons and protons can be seen as matter waves, with their shape and size determined by their wavelength, which is dependent on their momentum. This understanding was derived from experiments where particles exhibited wave-like behavior, and waves exhibited particle-like behavior. The nature of these waves is described by a wave function, which is a solution to the equation governing the state of the particle. Wave packets, which are localized waveforms, can be used to represent the particle nature of these waves. However, the wave function does not necessarily have to be localized. It is determined by the weighting of underlying eigenstates.
Jianphys17
Hi at all, I've the following question:
How the fondamental particles (electrons, protons) are seen as matter waves, what shape and size should be these waves? They are wave-packets?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jianphys17 said:
How the fundamental particles (electrons, protons) are seen as matter waves, what shape and size should be these waves? They are wave-packets?

a fundamental particle can be represented as a wave and its wavelength depends on the momentum of the particle and such conclusions were drawn from definite experiments where the particles interfered like waves. or in other situations waves acted like particles...so one will have to go to the initial descriptions and analysis of effects like electron diffraction experiments when a beam of electrons showed diffraction pattern as produced by electromagnetic waves i.e. light.

The waves and its nature can be given by the variation of its displacement/amplitude as a function of time and space and they are solution of the equation governing the state of the particle. the picture is of 'quantum nature' therefore new equations govern the relationship between its time varying characteristics.

The second part of your question talks about wave packets...which shows that you wish to prepare packets of waves...leading to possible representation of particle nature of waves.
Kindly elaborate on your question so that we may understand further.

drvrm said:
The second part of your question talks about wave packets...which shows that you wish to prepare packets of waves...leading to possible representation of particle nature of waves.
Kindly elaborate on your question so that we may understand further.
therefore the waves of matter should be represented as localized waveforms of wave packets right ?

Jianphys17 said:
therefore the waves of matter should be represented as localized waveforms of wave packets right ?

A wave packet, for example, is a normalisable solution to Schroedinger equation for a free particle (of mass ##m##), and can be represented by a wave function of the form:

$$\Psi(x, t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f(k) \exp[i(kx - \frac{\hbar k^2}{2m}t)] dk$$

Where ##f(k)## represents the weighting of the underlying eigenstates. Note that ##\Psi(x, t)## is a probability amplitude.

Last edited:
Likes drvrm
PeroK said:
A wave packet, for example, is a normalisable solution to Schroedinger equation for a free particle (of mass ##m##), and can be represented by a wave function of the form:

$$\Psi(x, t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f(k) \exp[i(kx - \frac{\hbar k^2}{2m})] dk$$

Where ##f(k)## represents the weighting of the underlying eigenstates. Note that ##\Psi(x, t)## is a probability amplitude.
so , correct me if I'm wrong, the wave-function represents the state of the particle as a localized wave packet..

Jianphys17 said:
so , correct me if I'm wrong, the wave-function represents the state of the particle as a localized wave packet..

It might be localised. That depends on ##f(k)##.

1. What is the concept of particles as matter waves?

The concept of particles as matter waves is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that describes how all particles, including subatomic particles like electrons and protons, can exhibit both particle-like and wave-like behavior. This means that particles can have a definite position and momentum, but also have a wavelength and can interfere with each other, similar to waves.

2. How can particles be described as both matter and waves?

Particles can be described as both matter and waves because they possess both particle-like and wave-like properties. This is known as wave-particle duality. The exact behavior of a particle depends on how it is observed or measured, and it can exhibit either particle or wave behavior depending on the experimental setup.

3. What is the relationship between a particle's mass and its wavelength?

The relationship between a particle's mass and its wavelength is described by the de Broglie wavelength equation, which states that the wavelength of a particle is inversely proportional to its momentum. This means that particles with smaller mass, such as electrons, have longer wavelengths compared to particles with larger mass, such as protons.

4. Can matter waves be observed in everyday life?

No, matter waves cannot be observed in everyday life because their wavelengths are extremely small and require specialized equipment to detect. However, the effects of matter waves can be seen in certain experiments, such as the double-slit experiment, which demonstrates the wave-like behavior of particles.

5. How does the concept of particles as matter waves relate to the uncertainty principle?

The concept of particles as matter waves is closely related to the uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. This is because the act of measuring one property of a particle affects the other property, due to the wave-like nature of particles. Thus, the more accurately we measure one property, the less accurately we can measure the other property.