Are gluon lines drawn in opposite directions the same in Feynman diagrams?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of JaxoDraw for drawing Feynman diagrams and the issue of different results when drawing gluon lines in different directions. It is mentioned that the direction of the lines does not affect the physics, only the style. A picture is shared to illustrate the problem, and a suggestion is made to avoid overlapping lines. The conversation also mentions the use of FeynMP in Latex for drawing diagrams and provides a link to a resource on academic software.
ozon
I draw Feynman diagrams in JaxoDraw. But If I draw gluon line up to down or down to up, I get different results for gluon lines. I share a picture to explain my problem. Are these two diagrams the same?
http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/3184/rq9z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You mean just that the lines appear to be spiraling clockwise vs. counter-clockwise? That makes no difference, it's just stylistic. I see no difference between these two diagrams.

I would draw the dd quarks off to the side to avoid having the lines overlapping like this, just better stylistically. But totally equivalent from a physics standpoint.

As for Jaxodraw, I'm not familiar with the software, I normally use FeynMP in Latex. But I don't think either is widely used, I wonder what the most common Feynman-diagram drawing tool is?

Thank you very much for your reply. Maybe this link is useful for you.
http://www.insectnation.org/howto/academic-software

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person

1. What is a gluon line?

A gluon line is a representation of the force-carrying particle, called a gluon, in the theory of particle physics. Gluons are responsible for the strong nuclear force, which binds quarks together to form protons and neutrons.

2. How are gluon lines represented in particle physics calculations?

Gluon lines are typically depicted as wavy lines connecting two particles, such as quarks or other gluons. In mathematical equations, gluon lines are represented by specific terms that describe their interactions with other particles.

3. What is the significance of gluon lines in particle interactions?

Gluon lines represent the exchange of gluons between particles, which is a crucial component in understanding the strong nuclear force. Without gluons, quarks would not be able to interact with each other, and the fundamental structure of matter would be drastically different.

4. Can gluon lines be observed or measured directly?

No, gluon lines cannot be observed or measured directly. This is because gluons are confined within particles and cannot exist as free particles. However, their effects on other particles can be observed in high-energy particle collisions.

5. Are there different types of gluon lines?

Yes, there are eight different types of gluon lines, each with a different color charge (red, green, or blue) and anti-color charge (antired, antigreen, or antiblue). These colors and anti-colors can combine in different ways to produce the strong force between particles.