Feynman diagram; ##\pi^0+\pi^0\rightarrow \pi^++\pi^-##

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of drawing three Feynman diagrams for the reaction ##\pi^0+\pi^0\rightarrow \pi^++\pi^-##, proceeding through exchange of a gluon, a photon, and a weak W-Boson. The question also asks for clarification on the dominant contribution to this reaction and how the electromagnetic force can work on an electrically neutral particle like the ##\pi^0##. The expert summarizer notes that either $d\bar{d}$ or $u\bar{u}$ can be used for the composition of the neutral pion and provides an example of a W-Boson Feynman diagram for the reaction.
pondzo

Homework Statement

For the reaction below draw three Feynman diagrams, one that proceeds through
exchange of a gluon, one through a photon and one exchanging a weak W-Boson.

##\pi^0+\pi^0\rightarrow \pi^++\pi^-##

Which diagram provides the dominant contribution for this reaction?
Explain how the electromagnetic force can work on an electrically neutral particle like the ##\pi^0##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all I'm confused by the composition of the $\pi^0$ meson, do I use $d\bar{d}$ or $u\bar{u}$? I would think that for one neutral pion I use $d\bar{d}$ and the other I use $u\bar{u}$ since this gives the constituent quarks for the products. But then I have no idea how to begin drawing the interaction and how the virtual particle changes the diagram. I apologise since I am very new to Feynman diagrams. Here is an attempt for the W boson:

Neutral pion interaction.png

Physics news on Phys.org
pondzo said:
First of all I'm confused by the composition of the $\pi^0$ meson, do I use $d\bar{d}$ or $u\bar{u}$?
You can use either.

The W diagram is fine (what is that to the upper right of the "W"?).

1. What is a Feynman diagram?

A Feynman diagram is a visual representation of the interactions between subatomic particles in quantum field theory. It was developed by physicist Richard Feynman as a way to calculate the probability of particle interactions.

2. What does the notation "##\pi^0+\pi^0\rightarrow \pi^++\pi^-##" mean?

This notation represents a collision between two neutral pions (##\pi^0##) resulting in the production of a positive pion (##\pi^+##) and a negative pion (##\pi^-##).

3. Why is this particular Feynman diagram important?

This Feynman diagram represents a strong interaction between pions, which are the lightest mesons and play a crucial role in the strong nuclear force. Understanding the interactions between pions is key to understanding the behavior of the strong force.

4. How is this Feynman diagram used in research?

Feynman diagrams are used in research to make predictions about the outcomes of particle collisions and to calculate the probabilities of those outcomes. This particular diagram can be used to study the behavior of pions and their interactions in experiments.

5. Are there any limitations to using Feynman diagrams?

Although Feynman diagrams are a powerful tool for understanding particle interactions, they are limited in their ability to fully describe complex processes. They also do not take into account the effects of gravity and other forces outside of the standard model of particle physics.