Are green lasers Left Circularly Polarized Light?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for left and right circularly polarized laser light for testing. The speaker mentions that green diode lasers are usually left circularly polarized, but is unsure about red diode lasers. They also mention the possibility of converting left circularly polarized light to right circularly polarized light, but note that it is expensive. The conversation then mentions several sources for more information and asks for advice on how to ensure obtaining a left circularly polarized laser.
Pet Scan
I'm getting ready to do some testing, and need to decide which lasers to use . I need both left and right circularly polarized laser light .
I was told that green diode lasers, the kind readily commercially available (usually around 200 - 500 mW.) , are LEFT CPL.
1. Is that usually true, and why?
2. Are red diode lasers RIGHT CPL??
I know I can convert the LCPL into RCPL with a 1/2 wave retarder plate, but that's too expensive...

Physics news on Phys.org
Thx, SB; however, I am still stuck.
How can I be sure I am obtaining a Left circularly polarized laser?? Will the manufacturer know...? How can I be sure >

Ask the supplier.

Pass it through a ##\lambda/4## wave retarder and see if the output is (almost) linearly polarized. Anyway, why do you need it to be left circular if you do the experiment only with this type of polarization (i.e. not comparing it with right circular)?

1. What is circularly polarized light?

Circularly polarized light is a type of light in which the electric field vector rotates in a circular pattern as the light propagates. This rotation can either be in a clockwise (right-handed) or counterclockwise (left-handed) direction.

2. How is circularly polarized light different from linearly polarized light?

Linearly polarized light has an electric field vector that oscillates in a single direction, while circularly polarized light has an electric field vector that rotates in a circular pattern. Additionally, linearly polarized light can be either horizontally or vertically polarized, while circularly polarized light can be either left or right circularly polarized.

3. How are green lasers able to produce circularly polarized light?

Green lasers are able to produce circularly polarized light by using a special type of laser crystal called a quarter-wave plate. This plate is placed in front of the laser beam and converts the linearly polarized light into circularly polarized light.

4. Why is it important to know if green lasers emit left circularly polarized light?

Knowing the polarization of a laser beam is important for a variety of applications, such as in optical communications, microscopy, and spectroscopy. In some cases, left circularly polarized light may be preferred over right circularly polarized light, so it is important to know the characteristics of the laser being used.

5. Can the polarization of green laser light be changed?

Yes, the polarization of green laser light can be changed by using a polarizing filter. This filter can rotate the polarization of the light, allowing it to be either horizontally, vertically, or diagonally polarized. It can also be used to convert circularly polarized light from one direction to the other.