Are inductors so powerful?

• Thread starter physior
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inductors
In summary, inductors do create a magnetic field which opposes a change in the current through them. This magnetic field is not necessarily strong, but it is the rate of change and the number of turns in the coil that determine its effectiveness in inhibiting the current. A static magnetic field, such as one created by a magnet, will not have an effect on the current.
physior
hello!

are inductors so powerful that the magnetic field generated in their coils to be strong enough to resist the electron movement inside their wire?

I find that hard to accept

any hint?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Are you asking if inductors really experience a counter EMF that opposes a change in the current flowing through them? If so, then yes, they absolutely do.

I am asking if that opposition to the power source that inductors, not "experience" as you say, but CREATE, stems from the creation of a magnetic field due to their coils

I am actually asking, if that magnetic field is strong enough to penetrate the metallic wires and inhibit the flow of the electrons within inductor's wires

with the same principle, if I place a magnet properly (ie. with the appropriate direction), near a wire where a current flows, I will inhibit it!

I find that strange, because I experimented with some inductors and their magnetic field was very weak and I wonder how can this magnetic field inhibit the flow of electrons inside the wires

physior said:
I am asking if that opposition to the power source that inductors, not "experience" as you say, but CREATE, stems from the creation of a magnetic field due to their coils

Yes, the coil creates the magnetic field which inhibits the change in current.

physior said:
I am actually asking, if that magnetic field is strong enough to penetrate the metallic wires and inhibit the flow of the electrons within inductor's wires

Any magnetic field will penetrate the conductor, so raw strength has little to do with this. It's more about the rate of change and the number of turns in the coil.

physior said:
with the same principle, if I place a magnet properly (ie. with the appropriate direction), near a wire where a current flows, I will inhibit it!

No, you won't. A magnetic field only creates an EMF when it is changing in strength. A static magnetic field has no effect on the current.

physior said:
I find that strange, because I experimented with some inductors and their magnetic field was very weak and I wonder how can this magnetic field inhibit the flow of electrons inside the wires

Not sure what to tell you. That's just the way it works. If you do the math it will be obvious.

I can say that inductors do have the ability to generate strong magnetic fields, which can create a resistance to electron movement inside their wire. However, the strength of the magnetic field is dependent on various factors such as the number of turns in the coil, the material of the core, and the current passing through the coil. So while inductors can be powerful, their strength is not unlimited and can be controlled by adjusting these factors. It is also important to note that inductors are just one component of a larger circuit and their power alone cannot be determined without considering the entire circuit. I suggest further research and experimentation to fully understand the capabilities and limitations of inductors.

1. How do inductors work?

Inductors are passive electronic components that store energy in the form of a magnetic field. When current flows through an inductor, the magnetic field is generated, which resists changes in the current. This property of inductors allows them to be used in circuits for filtering, energy storage, and voltage regulation.

2. What makes inductors powerful?

Inductors are considered powerful because they have the ability to store large amounts of energy in a small space. They also have the ability to handle high currents without overheating, making them ideal for use in power applications. Additionally, inductors have low resistance, which allows them to efficiently transfer energy.

3. Can inductors be used to generate electricity?

Yes, inductors can be used to generate electricity. When a magnetic field changes around an inductor, it induces a current in the opposite direction. This is known as electromagnetic induction and is the principle behind generators and transformers.

4. What are some common uses for inductors?

Inductors have a wide range of applications in electronics, including in power supplies, audio systems, radio frequency circuits, and electronic filters. They are also used in various industrial and automotive applications, such as in motors, generators, and ignition systems.

5. Are there different types of inductors?

Yes, there are different types of inductors, each with its own unique characteristics and purposes. Some common types include air core inductors, which have a low inductance but high current handling capacity, and ferrite core inductors, which have a high inductance but are more compact. Other types include toroidal, multilayer, and chip inductors, each with its own advantages and applications.