Toroidal Inductor Flux Calculation

In summary, a 4.3 mH toroidal inductor has 100 identical equally spaced coils that will each pass 3.91*10^-4 Wb of magnetic flux.
MadelineChoate
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
Summary:: A 4.3 mH toroidal inductor has 100 identical equally spaced coils. If it carries an 11.6 A current, how much magnetic flux passes through each of its coils? Express your answers in milliwebers.

4.3 mH= (Wb/A)
100= N
11.6= I
Φcoil= ?

So from my observation of another question similar, I need to divide 4.3mH by 11.6A and then multiply that answer by 100N. When I input the equation I get 37.07 mWb and my answer is wrong. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi @MadelineChoate and welcome to PF.

You should be aware by now that what works with one problem need not necessarily work with another. We cannot help you figure out why your answer is wrong without more information. Specifically, here are some things to check:
1. What was the question and solution that you patterned this solution after? What makes you so sure that it is applicable in this case?
2. What exactly did you do to get the answer that you got? Have repeated the calculation in a different way to verify ots correctness? Did you remember to convert mH to H?

The question that was similar is the one below:

A 4.50 mH toroidal inductor has 125 identical equally spaced coils.

4.5 mH = .0045 H (Wb/A)
N = 125
I = 11.5 A
φ = ? - this is what we're finding

If it carries an 11.5 A current, how much magnetic flux passes through each of its coils?

The way he solved the problem was by:
φ = (.0045 H)/(11.5 A) = 3.91*10^-4 Wb
I divided that by 125 and got 3.13*10^-6 Wb. He later wrote "I realized that I should multiply the inductance by the current and got the correct answer."

So my thought process was to take (.0043)/(11.6)= 3.707 E-4 Wb. Then (3.707 E-4)(100)= .037

So he did not show the correct formula to be used for the calculation. Do you think that you can write the correct formula, identify what number corresponds to what symbol and then substitute the numbers. Here is a link for assistance - you need to provide the algebra. Look at the equations that say ##B = \dots~## and ##L\approx\dots~## Can you put these two together and find an expression relating the magnetic flux and the inductance? Don't forget that ##\Phi=BA##.

Likes MadelineChoate

1. What is a toroidal inductor?

A toroidal inductor is a type of electronic component that is used to store and release electrical energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is made up of a coil of wire wrapped around a toroid-shaped (doughnut-shaped) core made of a magnetic material.

2. How is the flux of a toroidal inductor calculated?

The flux of a toroidal inductor can be calculated using the formula Φ = L * I, where Φ is the flux in webers, L is the inductance in henries, and I is the current in amperes. This formula takes into account the number of turns in the coil, the magnetic permeability of the core material, and the current flowing through the inductor.

3. What factors affect the flux of a toroidal inductor?

The flux of a toroidal inductor is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the permeability of the core material, the current flowing through the inductor, and the size and shape of the core. Additionally, external magnetic fields can also influence the flux of a toroidal inductor.

4. How is the inductance of a toroidal inductor determined?

The inductance of a toroidal inductor can be determined by measuring the flux and current, and using the formula L = Φ / I. Alternatively, it can be calculated using the number of turns in the coil, the permeability of the core material, and the size and shape of the core.

5. What are the applications of toroidal inductors?

Toroidal inductors are commonly used in electronic circuits to filter out unwanted frequencies, store energy, and regulate voltage. They are also used in power supplies, audio equipment, and electric motors. Additionally, toroidal inductors are used in medical devices, telecommunications equipment, and aerospace technology.