Are Matrices, Quantum Physics helpful in Chemical Engineering?

In summary, there is some debate about the usefulness of studying Matrices and Quantum physics in a Chemical Engineering major. Some argue that it may not be necessary for the curriculum, while others believe that having a strong background in math and physics can be beneficial for any engineering discipline. Ultimately, it depends on the individual's career goals and plans for after graduation. However, it is generally agreed upon that learning linear algebra is essential for Chemical Engineering and that studying Quantum Chemistry for a minor may be a good option.
destroyer130
I am a sophomore majoring in Chemical Engineering. I have checked my classes requirement and seen that Chem E major doesn't need Matrices math or Quantum physics. I am wondering how so? And also, I am currently have 2 credits free for Spring semester. I am wondering should I study Matrices/Quantum physics should they helpful for Chem E major. Thanks for checking this out.

Physics news on Phys.org
destroyer130 said:
I am a sophomore majoring in Chemical Engineering. I have checked my classes requirement and seen that Chem E major doesn't need Matrices math or Quantum physics. I am wondering how so? And also, I am currently have 2 credits free for Spring semester. I am wondering should I study Matrices/Quantum physics should they helpful for Chem E major. Thanks for checking this out.

I don't mean to come off as rude, but do you think your engineering curriculum would expect you to know advanced material they aren't going to teach you? Engineering degrees are usually very specialized to "mold" the students into a person with (usually) a specific skill set. If you need to know quantum, they will teach it to you in a class you are required to take.

Now, as far as usefulness toward your discipline, I have no idea. Generally though, the more math you know the better though right? If you are curious about either topic and have some extra credits why not? They are both really cool topics. Also, you could ask some of your profs about it and see what they say. Learning more math/physics will probably give you more insight into your studies

I doubt you will need much quantum. Matrices should have been covered in Algebra and then Linear Algebra.

Matrices, yes, I though all engineering disciplines would cover matrices. Quantum physics? Can't see what that'd be helpful for though.

destroyer130 said:
<snip>I am wondering should I study Matrices/Quantum physics should they helpful for Chem E major. Thanks for checking this out.

It depends entirely on what you plan to do after graduation. A job? Probably not (although being able to differentiate yourself from the competition is always a good idea). Graduate school? Possibly. Some other option? It depends...

ModusPwnd said:
I doubt you will need much quantum. Matrices should have been covered in Algebra and then Linear Algebra.

Hm, somehow I didn't have to learn Matrices. Which gives me pretty hard time on the Diff Eq last semester.

Visceral said:
I don't mean to come off as rude, but do you think your engineering curriculum would expect you to know advanced material they aren't going to teach you? Engineering degrees are usually very specialized to "mold" the students into a person with (usually) a specific skill set. If you need to know quantum, they will teach it to you in a class you are required to take.

That's true though. Although, I want to know a little bit about why more prepared in Matrices and Quantum doesn't help much for Bio and Chem E. Like from what I know in my school, Bio and Chem Engr don't need Matrices and Quantum; yet Mech and E Engr need those.

I am likely to take Quantum Chemistry for Chem Minor? Is quantum phys a good foundation?

Andy Resnick said:
It depends entirely on what you plan to do after graduation. A job? Probably not (although being able to differentiate yourself from the competition is always a good idea). Graduate school? Possibly. Some other option? It depends...

I really want to do something more of a scientist like research because my major already specify in factory and process planing. From so far I know, all natural sciences are very interrelated, at a level that I'm too afraid to ignore something :D. I always thought that Quantum Phys is hard and cool.

Many linear systems are solved in charge/mass balance equations in reactor design. Linear algebra is a must-have (at least to the level of solving linear systems; don't know whether you will need to know about eigenvalues or linear transformations). A simple example is the phase rule in physical chemistry, very important in modelling phase diagrams which are seen in materials science. The phase rule follows from the rank-nullity (or dimension) theorem of linear algebra. So knowing linear algebra helps in understanding how tons of linear equations interact with one another, and that is important because many linear equations are indeed generated from mass conversation and equilibrium constraints.

BiP

Matrices and linear algebra are some of the most useful things ever.

QM is useless for chemical engineering. even in grad school usually only straight chemistry needs QM, and then its quantum chemistry which is, after a QM 1 similar to the physics counterpart, will diverge from the physics curriculum to focus on applied topics like molecules and spectroscopy.

destroyer130 said:
I am likely to take Quantum Chemistry for Chem Minor? Is quantum phys a good foundation?

From what I heard about quantum chemistry courses, they tend to work towards a 'conceptual' understanding of experimental phenomena related to the quantum mechanical behavior of molecules and what not. A quantum mechanics course by the physics department would require, at the very least, a working understanding of linear algebra (matrices included) and even some complex analysis already, as they usually focus on developing the mathematical apparatus of quantum mechanics. In short: no. I would take the linear algebra since it's quite useful for engineering and only take quantum chemistry for the minor. Taking a quantum mechanics course with your background and for the purposes you state (as a foundation for quantum chemistry) seems like overkill and a bad idea in general.

cesaruelas said:
From what I heard about quantum chemistry courses, they tend to work towards a 'conceptual' understanding of experimental phenomena related to the quantum mechanical behavior of molecules and what not. A quantum mechanics course by the physics department would require, at the very least, a working understanding of linear algebra (matrices included) and even some complex analysis already, as they usually focus on developing the mathematical apparatus of quantum mechanics. In short: no. I would take the linear algebra since it's quite useful for engineering and only take quantum chemistry for the minor. Taking a quantum mechanics course with your background and for the purposes you state (as a foundation for quantum chemistry) seems like overkill and a bad idea in general.

when I took quantum chemistry, it was similar to undergrad QM's first half except they threw in helium atoms and diatomic molecules instead of doing deep studies into angular momentum. Both classes are not really mathematically challenging.

I also took graduate QM. No complex analysis involved for the first half. It was brutal in the first few weeks then got better, then got brutal again when doing rotation theory.

I found out today that in my school, all engineers are required to take quantum physics during their second/third year.
I also found out that quantum physics is particularly important for electrical engineers who work in optoelectronics, photonics and solid state physics. It is also influential in the branch of computer science known as quantum computing.

But hands down, linear algebra is far more important in all aspects of engineering than is quantum physics.

BiP

Last edited:
Thank you so much you all :). Seem like Linear Algebra (Matrices) is a good choice!

It shouldn't really be a choice. Is it not required for engineering? If not, that's weird but yea you should take it.

I'm a nuclear engineering major and we didn't have to take linear algebra either. I took calculus 1-3, differential equations, and applied mathematics. In applied mathematics we cover Fourier series, the heat equation, partial differential equations, wavelets and basically engineering applications of all the math we've taken. We used MatLab a lot in that class also. Now I however did take linear algebra on my own just to complete a math minor cause along with the statistics course I was required to take, I have enough math credits to satisfy a minor. The only thing from linear algebra I've used so far is using matrix and reduced row echelon form to solve systems of linear equations which I don't do by hand anyway since its child's play with my calculator. I guess it's good to know some linear algebra though.

Related to Are Matrices, Quantum Physics helpful in Chemical Engineering?

1. How are matrices used in chemical engineering?

In chemical engineering, matrices are used to represent and solve systems of equations. These equations can represent different chemical reactions and help in determining the properties of the substances involved. Matrices are also used in process control and optimization, as they allow for efficient calculations and analysis of large sets of data.

2. Can quantum physics concepts be applied in chemical engineering?

Yes, quantum physics concepts can be applied in chemical engineering, particularly in the field of materials science. Quantum mechanics principles, such as wave-particle duality and quantum tunneling, can help in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules in chemical reactions. This knowledge can be used to design and develop new materials with desired properties.

3. How does quantum mechanics play a role in the development of new drugs?

Quantum mechanics plays a crucial role in drug discovery and development. It allows chemists to understand the structure and behavior of molecules at a fundamental level, which is necessary for designing effective drugs. Quantum mechanics also helps in predicting the interactions between drugs and their target molecules, which can aid in the development of more potent and specific drugs.

4. Are there any limitations to using quantum mechanics in chemical engineering?

While quantum mechanics has been immensely helpful in chemical engineering, it does have some limitations. One of the main challenges is the computational complexity involved in solving quantum mechanical equations for large systems. This can make it difficult to apply quantum mechanics to real-world problems in chemical engineering.

5. How do matrices and quantum mechanics contribute to process optimization in chemical engineering?

Matrices and quantum mechanics play a significant role in process optimization in chemical engineering. Matrices help in modeling and analyzing complex systems, while quantum mechanics provides a deeper understanding of the behavior of atoms and molecules in these systems. Together, they allow for the optimization of processes to improve efficiency, reduce costs, and minimize environmental impact.