Are neurons that have been used for years ever re-delegated?

In summary, the neural processes in a person's brain change depending on what they choose to do, and the unused neurons might be recruited for the new behavior.
icakeov
I'm not sure if this specific question has been already covered.
If a person in his 60s who had been say, a painter all his life, decides to instead learn to play an instrument, what happens to the neural processes in his brain?

Will the brain use brand-new neurons to create a brand new behavior? Are there ever neurons "waiting around for" or "being made when" a new behavior or brain process comes around?

And the neurons that were firing the actions specifically for painting, will they just "sit around" waiting to be fired in case painting every gets engaged again? That is my understanding, that they might fade slowly, gaining atrophy, but not really "disappear".

If they are not really used anymore, might they start being recruited for the new instrument playing, or some other new or old action?

Biology news on Phys.org
I think that "knowledge" is in the weightings of the connections between the neurons not the neurons themselves. If this is the case does it alter the question you might ask?

Likes icakeov
Hmm - consider neuroplasticity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroplasticity

And - It does not necessarily follow that all the same neurons would be involved in the transition.

Likes icakeov
Right! I always forget that it's the synapses that run the show. Thanks Cosmik. The question doesn't change, but it helped answer it.
An thanks Jim too.
I guess every painter and every musician use their hands, so those connections will continue. It is a matter of creating new networks between neurons within their synapses, right?

I just found a video that explains neuroplasticity in a quick simple way, but this explanation, and how they show only two paths that are independent, and one starts being used as if it is getting used for the very first time (I've heard a similar "new path in the forest" explanation as well) is the main reason why I got confused, wondering: where do these unused neurons reside, until we turn 60 and decide to change a habit.

1. Are neurons that have been used for years still functional?

Yes, neurons that have been used for years can still be functional. Neurons are capable of adapting and forming new connections throughout our lifetime, allowing them to continue functioning even after years of use.

2. Can neurons be reused for different functions?

Yes, neurons can be re-delegated for different functions. This is known as neuroplasticity, where the brain can reorganize itself and adapt to new tasks or functions.

3. How long can neurons be used before they need to be replaced?

There is no set time limit for how long neurons can be used before they need to be replaced. It depends on various factors such as the individual's age, health, and lifestyle. However, with proper care and maintenance, neurons can continue functioning for a lifetime.

4. Can re-delegated neurons perform as well as newly formed neurons?

Yes, re-delegated neurons can perform just as well as newly formed neurons. Studies have shown that re-delegated neurons can form strong connections and perform their new functions with similar efficiency to newly formed neurons.

5. Is it possible to re-delegate neurons voluntarily?

Yes, it is possible to voluntarily re-delegate neurons through activities such as learning new skills or practicing certain tasks. By actively engaging in different activities, we can stimulate the brain to re-delegate neurons and form new connections.