Are Old Weather Conditions Officially Tracked?

In summary: Many of the organisation that gather and handle this data are wholly or at least in part commercial. Even organisations such as the the UK Met Office (which is owned by the UK Government) are in part funded by creating custom forecasts and selling access to their historical data to various companies.
kyphysics
Any official (scientific, verified) tracking of old weather conditions that one can look up? Say, I wanted to know what the weather was like in Kentucky in the city of Lexington on October 24th, 1983. Is there some kind of official recorded archive to look such information up?

Physics news on Phys.org
kyphysics said:
Say, I wanted to know what the weather was like in Kentucky in the city of Lexington on October 24th, 1983. Is there some kind of official recorded archive to look such information up?
There could be better resources, but as a backup you could search the newspaper archives...

1641598340406.png

1607? WOW! I wonder how accurate weather measurements were back then!

kyphysics said:
Any official (scientific, verified) tracking of old weather conditions that one can look up? Say, I wanted to know what the weather was like in Kentucky in the city of Lexington on October 24th, 1983. Is there some kind of official recorded archive to look such information up?
In the archives of weather.gov in the US.

https://www.weather.gov/wrh/climate
One can play around with date or month/year, and temperature or precipitation. Otherwise, one should find an archive newspaper from the area on that date.

An example of the almanac data for Lexington area, October 24, 1983.
From https://www.weather.gov/wrh/Climate?wfo=lmk

Attachments

• LexingtonArea_Oct24,1983_weather.png
    LexingtonArea_Oct24,1983_weather.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 86
  • LexingtonArea_Oct1983_Temp,Precip.png
    LexingtonArea_Oct1983_Temp,Precip.png
    49.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Informative
  • Love
Likes kyphysics and berkeman
jim mcnamara said:
This huge historical dataset has legal certification - because of the fact that legal challenges to data validity keep occurring. So you can only look at small chunks, if you want to peek without having to pay.
-- oldest continuing temperature reporting goes back to 1659

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web/

Old 1880 forward :
https://climate.nasa.gov/faq/21/why...shown-on-your-vital-signs-page-begin-at-1880/
Thank you. This was super helpful.

I also am surprised there isn't just some very easily accessible archive for this stuff. It can be very useful. It's like something I'd imagine Google wanting to organize/record. They practically "organize" the entire world already!

Last edited:
Freely accessible weather databases have a tendency to appear and disappear on the web. In the past I found at least two - none of the links I saved work now.

Likes Fervent Freyja
kyphysics said:
Thank you. This was super helpful.

I also am surprised there isn't just some very easily accessible archive for this stuff. It can be very useful. It's like something I'd imagine Google wanting to organize/record. They practically "organize" the entire world already!
Many of the organisation that gather and handle this data are wholly or at least in part commercial. Even organisations such as the the UK Met Office (which is owned by the UK Government) are in part funded by creating custom forecasts and selling access to their historical data to various companies.
As far as I understand academic researchers can in general get access to whatever data they need, but there is no archive that the public has full access to.

I suspect there might also be competition reasons. Many weather forecasts are created by companies which spend a lot of money gathering data; they would presumably strongly object if a government funded agency suddenly published similar data for free.

Last edited:
Likes jim mcnamara

1. What is the purpose of officially tracking old weather conditions?

The purpose of officially tracking old weather conditions is to gather data and information about past weather patterns and events. This data can then be used to analyze and understand climate change, predict future weather patterns, and inform decision making in industries such as agriculture, transportation, and construction.

2. How far back do weather conditions need to be tracked to be considered "official"?

The definition of "official" may vary depending on the purpose of tracking weather conditions. Generally, data from at least 30 years is considered sufficient to establish long-term climate trends. However, some studies may require data from much farther back in time.

3. Who is responsible for officially tracking old weather conditions?

There are multiple organizations and agencies responsible for officially tracking old weather conditions, including government agencies such as the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), as well as international organizations like the World Meteorological Organization (WMO).

4. How is weather data collected and recorded for tracking purposes?

Weather data is collected through a variety of methods, including weather stations, satellites, and buoys. These devices measure various meteorological variables such as temperature, humidity, precipitation, and wind speed. The data is then recorded and stored for further analysis and tracking.

5. What are some potential challenges in officially tracking old weather conditions?

One of the main challenges in officially tracking old weather conditions is the availability and reliability of historical data. Some areas may not have weather stations or other devices in place to collect data, making it difficult to accurately track past weather conditions. Additionally, the quality and consistency of data can vary, which can affect the accuracy of long-term climate trends. Another challenge is the cost and resources required for maintaining and analyzing large amounts of weather data.