Are Overly Complicated Homework Problems Beneficial for Student Learning?

In summary, the speaker is struggling with finding the voltage in a homework assignment that involves multiple components. They have successfully found the Thevenin resistance, but are unsure of how to proceed with finding the voltage. The other person suggests writing loop equations and solving them, or breaking down the problem into smaller parts and finding Thevenin equivalents for each. The speaker questions whether instructors are intentionally making homework problems more complicated each year.
ahmadtibi
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
Hello I'm trying to solve my homework assignment, I have successfully found the thevenin resistance which is equal to 3.75 but I'm stuck on how to even get started to find the voltage because there are too many components.
Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 19.56.42.png

I have shorted the load resistor which is called RL but there are too many currents for me to calculate I'm not sure how to proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just write the loop equations and solve them. It's just tedious algebra.

If you want to break it down into smaller parts and deal with each, then start with the two 5ohm/10Volt sections on the left. Combine them into THEIR Thevenin equivalents. Then add the 2ohm and 5.5 ohm and create another Thevenin equivalent. Keep doing that until you have a final Thevenin equivalent.

Likes ahmadtibi
Do students really learn anything more by giving them overly complicated problems? I've seen some problems obviously contrived with ridiculous controlled sources.

Jack Welch was famous for demanding 10% more profits every year from GE. Do we have the case where instructors are challenged to make 10% more complicated homework problems each year?

Likes SammyS and ahmadtibi

1. What is the Thevenin voltage?

The Thevenin voltage is the voltage equivalent of a complex circuit at a particular point. It is the voltage that would be measured across two terminals if all other components were removed from the circuit.

2. How is the Thevenin voltage calculated?

The Thevenin voltage can be calculated by finding the open circuit voltage at the desired point in the circuit and accounting for any internal resistance. It can also be calculated by using the Thevenin's theorem, which states that the Thevenin voltage is equal to the open circuit voltage when all sources are replaced with their internal resistance.

3. Why is finding the Thevenin voltage important?

Finding the Thevenin voltage is important because it allows us to simplify complex circuits into a single voltage source and resistor. This makes it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of the circuit, and can also help with circuit design and troubleshooting.

4. What is the difference between Thevenin voltage and Norton voltage?

The Thevenin voltage is the voltage equivalent of a circuit at a particular point, while the Norton voltage is the current equivalent. The Thevenin voltage is found by removing all components from the circuit except for the desired point, while the Norton voltage is found by shorting all voltage sources and finding the resulting current.

5. Can the Thevenin voltage change over time?

The Thevenin voltage is a constant value that does not change over time, as long as the circuit remains unchanged. However, if there are any time-varying components in the circuit, the Thevenin voltage may change accordingly.