Are planetary scientists rare in astrophysics departments?

In summary, the conversation discusses the availability of space probes and the rarity of planetary scientists in astrophysics departments. The speaker expresses their interest in planetary sciences and their plan to surround themselves with their own planetary scientists in the future. They also mention their preference for planetary science over astrophysics.
Simfish
Gold Member
I really love planetary sciences, especially the science concerning the moons of the gas giants (although lots of this research is constrained by the availability of space probes). But are planetary scientists rare in astrophysics departments? In my university, almost all of them are in the Earth and space sciences department, which has different admissions criteria from the astrophysics department here. I could possibly apply to both astrophysics departments and planetary science departments in the same university, but I'm not sure if this is allowed (I almost certainly have a higher chance of getting into an astrophysics department, although planetary science actually excites me more).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When I'm a professor, I'll surround myself with my own planetary scientists. :smile:

I'll call them Rocky I II III IV and V, etc …

and I won't have any with rings or spots. o:)

Related to Are planetary scientists rare in astrophysics departments?

1. How common are planetary scientists in astrophysics departments?

The number of planetary scientists in astrophysics departments varies depending on the specific department and university. Some departments may have only a few planetary scientists, while others may have a larger group. However, planetary scientists are generally considered a rare specialty within the field of astrophysics.

2. What is the difference between a planetary scientist and an astrophysicist?

While both planetary scientists and astrophysicists study objects in space, they have different focuses. Planetary scientists specifically study planets, moons, and other bodies within our solar system, while astrophysicists study the larger universe, including stars, galaxies, and dark matter.

3. Do planetary scientists and astrophysicists collaborate on research?

Yes, there is often collaboration between planetary scientists and astrophysicists on research projects. They may work together on topics that overlap, such as the formation of planets and their relationship to the larger universe.

4. Are there specific courses or degrees for planetary science within astrophysics departments?

Some universities may offer specific courses or degrees in planetary science, while others may incorporate it into their astrophysics curriculum. It is important to research individual universities and their programs to determine the availability of planetary science courses within the astrophysics department.

5. What career opportunities are available for planetary scientists in astrophysics departments?

Planetary scientists in astrophysics departments may have opportunities for research, teaching, and even outreach and public education. They may also work for government agencies, such as NASA, or in private industry, studying and analyzing data from space missions and telescopes.