Physics PhDs ending up in academia in non-physics fields

In summary, many physics PhD graduates struggle to find long-term academic positions, and those who do often face challenges in transitioning into their new fields.
StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Hi everyone! I may have brought this up in an earlier thread, but thought I'd revisit this.

I have browsed the forums for a while, and one common topic that gets brought up is about how competitive tenure-track positions are within physics (certainly within the US, and likely to be the case worldwide), and how many PhD graduates in physics often struggle with multi-year postdocs with the hope of staying in academia, only to ultimately transition to non-academic work.

One thing I hear less often on these forums are those physics graduates who transition into academia in areas outside of physics. One such example that I know of is Cosma Shalizi, who completed his doctorate in statistical physics and is now a professor in the Statistics department at Carnegie Mellon.

http://www.stat.cmu.edu/~cshalizi/

I'm curious how many of you here are either (1) physics PhD graduates who made a similar transition and is in academia in a non-physics field, or (2) are aware of such people within their circles. I also would like to bring up some of the challenges that such people may face, and what physics training may bring to non-physics fields.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think this is that unusual. I've listed 3 prominent physicists who are faculty members in electrical engineering departments.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...re-jobs-go-begging.410271/page-2#post-4270358

In subject areas such as mathematics, engineering, chemistry, and even biology, the appropriate physics degree and specialization can be something of an asset in another area. I've seen physicists who specialize in x-ray techniques using synchrotron radiation that are employed in chemistry and biology departments.

Zz.

Likes StatGuy2000
My PhD advisor has a PhD in physics, is faculty in a chemistry department and does research in biology. There are plenty of physics PhDs in biology departments, especially in research areas that are quantitative.

Likes StatGuy2000
ZapperZ and Ygggdrasil,

Thanks for bringing up these examples. Part of the reason I wanted to bring up this thread is because of what I hear often about the lack of opportunities in academia within physics, which makes me think that, depending on the particular area of specialization, I could imagine more physics graduates pursuing academic research in other areas, such as quantitative aspects of biology (as an example), or perhaps in areas such as electrical engineering (for those specializing in, say, optics or experimental condensed matter).

I am curious as to what are some (potential) difficulties these researchers have had in transitioning into their new departments? I can imagine that understanding the background literature in their new fields may have taken some work, just as an example.

What are the most common non-physics fields that physics PhDs end up in academia?

Some of the most common non-physics fields that physics PhDs end up in academia include engineering, computer science, materials science, and various interdisciplinary fields such as biophysics or materials engineering.

Why do some physics PhDs choose to pursue careers in non-physics fields in academia?

Some physics PhDs may choose to pursue careers in non-physics fields in academia because they have a strong interest in those fields or because they see opportunities for interdisciplinary research. Additionally, the job market for traditional physics professorships may be highly competitive, leading some PhDs to explore alternative career paths.

Do physics PhDs in non-physics fields face any challenges in academia?

Yes, physics PhDs in non-physics fields may face challenges in academia, such as having to learn new subject areas and adapt to different research methodologies. They may also face skepticism from colleagues who may view them as less qualified or knowledgeable in their chosen field.

What skills do physics PhDs possess that make them competitive in non-physics fields in academia?

Physics PhDs possess a strong foundation in quantitative and analytical skills, as well as the ability to think critically and solve complex problems. They also have experience with conducting research, writing and presenting scientific papers, and collaborating with others, all of which are highly valued in academia.

Are there any benefits to pursuing a career in a non-physics field in academia for physics PhDs?

Yes, there can be many benefits to pursuing a career in a non-physics field in academia for physics PhDs. They may have the opportunity to apply their knowledge and skills in new and exciting ways, collaborate with experts from different disciplines, and contribute to groundbreaking research in interdisciplinary fields. Additionally, they may have access to a wider range of funding opportunities and have a greater potential for career advancement.