Are the admissions statistics at Peterson's reliable?

In summary, the conversation discusses the statistics and admissions information for various graduate programs in astronomy and space sciences. There is some skepticism about the accuracy of the information provided on the websites, particularly for the University of Washington, where the acceptance rate and number of applicants seems to be inconsistent with other sources. It is also mentioned that graduate and undergraduate admissions processes may differ and some state schools may have more exclusive astronomy programs than Ivy League schools.
Simfish
Gold Member
At that website, you could look at a lot of statistics. For example:

http://www.petersons.com/graduate-schools/cornell-university-graduate-school-field-of-astronomy-and-space-sciences-admissions-000_10028228_10088.aspx

But the information at the website says this:

Application Deadline: For fall admission, 1/15 for domestic students.

Application Fee: $70

Student Statistics: Average age 26. 77 applicants, 19% accepted, 3 enrolled.

I have a hard time believing that the average age at a school like that would be 26. While many people do take breaks and gap years, you also have a lot of very gifted students who skipped grades or entered college early. It still seems that the "default path" is to apply directly from undergrad, even if there may be a few much older students.

==

And for Washington (http://www.petersons.com/graduate-schools/university-of-washington-college-of-arts-and-sciences-department-of-astronomy-admissions-000_10037770_10088.aspx), the information is flat-out wrong (no way in hell would it have 150 applicants *and* a 1% acceptance rate - I've seen different statistics at grad school shopper). But is the information wrong for the other schools too? I would generally trust gradschoolshopper more, but there are some schools (and programs) for which these statistics aren't available.

Physics news on Phys.org
Simfish said:
I have a hard time believing that the average age at a school like that would be 26.

With three admissions, one student can through everything off.

And for Washington no way in hell would it have 150 applicants *and* a 1% acceptance rate - I've seen different statistics at grad school shopper

Why not?

I would generally trust gradschoolshopper more, but there are some schools (and programs) for which these statistics aren't available.

The statistics are from self-reporting so you do have some data quality issues, but there isn't any particular reason why I'd doubt those numbers.

With three admissions, one student can through everything off.

Oh, that's a very good point. Although I've seen similarly high average ages at other graduate programs I've looked at in the database (mostly bio programs). Although bio grad students are probably older than others on average. Math grad students are probably the youngest (on average), since it almost never helps people to have work experience if they want to pursue theoretical math - so I should look at the math programs in that database.

Why not?

Washington is my UG institution so I know that the actual rates aren't that low.

Simfish said:
Washington is my UG institution so I know that the actual rates aren't that low.

Graduate and undergraduate admissions are totally different animals. I can think of several large state schools with small astronomy programs that are more exclusive than Harvard.

Graduate and undergraduate admissions are totally different animals. I can think of several large state schools with small astronomy programs that are more exclusive than Harvard.

I actually meant that I know that my UG's department rates aren't that low.

Which state schools were you thinking about, by the way?

Also looking at the website for U Washington it appears that that they admitted a lot of people in 2009 but no one in 2010, so it's quite possible that for budget reasons they just decided not to admit anyone one year.

Simfish said:
I actually meant that I know that my UG's department rates aren't that low.

Which state schools were you thinking about, by the way?

Hawaii and Arizona.

Also looking at the website for U Washington it appears that that they admitted a lot of people in 2009 but no one in 2010, so it's quite possible that for budget reasons they just decided not to admit anyone one year.

Hm, really? The 2010 data is below:

http://www.grad.washington.edu/about/statistics/admissions/admissions10.pdf

Acceptance rate is 20%.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking at this list of current students, and there isn't anyone that joined in 2010. Lots of people in 2009.

http://www.astro.washington.edu/grad/gradresearch.html

Oh okay, I guess that just means that they haven't updated the department website for them yet.

On the other hand, they are a bit dodgy with statistics. On

http://www.astro.washington.edu/grad/why.html the description of the statistics doesn't match the link.

On the other hand, they are a bit dodgy with statistics. On

http://www.astro.washington.edu/grad/why.html the description of the statistics doesn't match the link.

Hmm, I'm confused. What do you mean by that?

Related to Are the admissions statistics at Peterson's reliable?

1. What is the source of the admissions statistics at Peterson's?

The admissions statistics at Peterson's are gathered from various sources such as colleges and universities, government agencies, and surveys conducted by Peterson's.

2. How often are the admissions statistics at Peterson's updated?

The admissions statistics at Peterson's are updated annually, usually at the start of the admissions cycle for colleges and universities.

3. Are the admissions statistics at Peterson's accurate?

Yes, the admissions statistics at Peterson's are considered to be reliable and accurate. However, it is important to note that these statistics are subject to change and may vary depending on the source and time of data collection.

4. Can I trust the admissions statistics at Peterson's for my college search?

Yes, the admissions statistics at Peterson's are a helpful resource for students conducting a college search. However, it is important to also research and consider other factors such as the college's website, campus visits, and talking to current students and alumni.

5. How can I use the admissions statistics at Peterson's to my advantage?

The admissions statistics at Peterson's can be used to compare and evaluate colleges and universities based on factors such as acceptance rates, average test scores, and demographic data. This information can help you make informed decisions about your college search and application process.