Math/Statistics PHD Application

In summary, if you have a 3.7 GPA and a 3.73 in Math, you have a good chance of being accepted into a good graduate program in statistics or math.
JkgStat2321
I Know this is prob the wrong site to post this but...
Hello, I am a student at a low-ranked college in New York State actively pursuing a bachelors (BA) in Math in my junior year. I have a 3.7 GPA overall and a 3.73 in Math. I am looking to apply to PHD programs next year in Statistics or in Math programs with a concentration in statistics. What are my chances of getting into a good program?

My current Course History and background

A.P. Credit for Calculus 1 and 2

A in Calculus 3

C in Linear Algebra (not really reflective of my ability and might bring me down)

A in Abstract Algebra

A in Real Analysis

A in Discrete Mathematics

A in Partial Differential Equations

A in Statistical Inference Theory

In progress (Honors seminar, Probability, independent study)

I am currently also working on a project in Statistical analysis with a professor (independent study), and tutored middle school students at a charter School for a year

My top choices

Rutgers

UCONN

Columbia

NYU

Stoney Brook University (SUNY)
University at Buffalo (SUNY)

Univerity of New Mexico (is this program good?)

What are my chances of acceptance?

Can someone please also tell me if U New Mexico is even any good before I apply even though I love the area?

Physics news on Phys.org
The critical indicator will be your GRE score and then your grades, your personal statement and any special things you've done in your chosen field (papers, conferences, courses...)

As an aside, have you looked into Machine Learning as many of your math courses fit into the discipline? It could be a possible backup plan. ML is the hot thing right now so it may fade away but I'd thought I'd mention it as something special you could add to your applications.

jedishrfu said:
The critical indicator will be your GRE score and then your grades, your personal statement and any special things you've done in your chosen field (papers, conferences, courses...)

As an aside, have you looked into Machine Learning as many of your math courses fit into the discipline? It could be a possible backup plan. ML is the hot thing right now so it may fade away but I'd thought I'd mention it as something special you could add to your applications.

@jedishrfu , machine learning is generally a research field within either the statistics or computer science departments, so to pursue research in this field, one generally has to be admitted in a PhD program in either statistics or computer science (I know that there has been new data science programs, but these are generally only Masters programs, from what I understand).

StatGuy2000 said:
@jedishrfu , machine learning is generally a research field within either the statistics or computer science departments, so to pursue research in this field, one generally has to be admitted in a PhD program in either statistics or computer science (I know that there has been new data science programs, but these are generally only Masters programs, from what I understand).

I didn't mean to say as a backup PhD program to a primary PhD program, I meant as a backup in case you decide the PhD is not for you. Many companies are scrambling for Data Scientists and ML experts no matter the discipline or degree as long as you know some statistics and programming in Python, Julia or R or some mix thereof.

Here's one bloggers take on ML in industry today:

https://www.simplilearn.com/machine-learning-career-path-article

and TechRepublic info circa 2017:

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/the-6-most-in-demand-ai-jobs-and-how-to-get-them/

To the OP:

To be accepted into a graduate program in statistics or math, the most important things to take into consideration are your GRE scores, your grades, letters of recommendation from professors who you have either taken classes in or conducted work with, and any special work you've done (e.g. participated in research, etc.).

From what I can see, you do have the GPA and the grades from your key courses for acceptance to good graduate programs. The C in linear algebra is a little concerning, but since you earned an A in abstract algebra (which I presume requires linear algebra as a prerequisite), this may be less of an issue for you.

You did state you are working on independent study with a professor. I think that is a good thing, as it could lead to a strong recommendation from the professor you are working with. I would also advise if possible to apply for an REU or similar internship to give you further research opportunities where possible.

As for your second question, I know for a fact that both Rutgers and Columbia have great statistics programs (Columbia, for example, has Andrew Gelman, a leading researcher in Bayesian statistics). I don't think NYU has a statistics department, but they do have a great applied math graduate program, and are known for the strength of their research in probability theory. I'm less familiar with the University of New Mexico or U Conn for their math or stats programs. Have you thought of applying to Stanford, Berkeley, Duke, Harvard, Cornell, University of Washington, or U Chicago? All of these schools also have top-notch statistics graduate programs.

[Update: I just realized now that NYU offers a PhD in statistics through the Stern School of Business. Since I'm unfamiliar with NYU's business school, I'm unable to offer much in the way of an opinion of this program.]

Last edited:
Likes jedishrfu

1. What are the minimum requirements for a Math/Statistics PhD program?

The minimum requirements for a Math/Statistics PhD program vary depending on the university or institution. Generally, applicants should have a strong background in mathematics, statistics, and computer science, as well as a bachelor's or master's degree in a related field. Some programs may also require GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.

2. How important are research experience and publications for a Math/Statistics PhD application?

Research experience and publications can greatly strengthen a Math/Statistics PhD application. Admissions committees look for applicants who have a strong interest in research and have demonstrated their ability to conduct independent research through publications, presentations, or research projects. However, having research experience is not always a requirement and applicants with exceptional academic backgrounds may still be considered.

3. Are there any specific areas of focus within Math/Statistics PhD programs?

Yes, there are many different areas of focus within Math/Statistics PhD programs. Some common areas include applied mathematics, mathematical modeling, statistics, biostatistics, and data science. It is important for applicants to research the specific areas of focus within a program to ensure it aligns with their interests and career goals.

4. How competitive is the admissions process for Math/Statistics PhD programs?

The admissions process for Math/Statistics PhD programs can be highly competitive, as these programs are often in high demand. Admissions committees look for applicants with strong academic backgrounds, research experience, and a clear passion for the field. It is important for applicants to carefully review the requirements and tailor their application to showcase their strengths and qualifications.

5. What can I do to strengthen my Math/Statistics PhD application?

To strengthen a Math/Statistics PhD application, applicants should focus on building a strong academic background, gaining research experience, and developing a clear research interest. It is also important to carefully review and follow the application requirements, submit strong letters of recommendation, and write a compelling statement of purpose. Additionally, participating in relevant extracurricular activities and attending conferences or workshops can also demonstrate a strong interest in the field.