Are the members of (x,y) if and only if (y = x + 3) & (y = x – 3) an empty set?

In summary: Therefore, the set of all integers where <x,y> \in R if and only if (y = x + 3) & (y = x – 3) is not necessarily empty.In summary, the set of all integers where <x,y> \in R if and only if (y = x + 3) & (y = x – 3) may not necessarily be an empty set, as it could hold true for values of x in the set Z_3. However, if we are considering the set of all real numbers, then the relationship results in a contradiction and the set would be empty.
Bob4040
Is the set of all integers where <x,y> [itex]\in[/itex] R if and only if (y = x + 3) & (y = x – 3) an empty set?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Bob4040 and welcome to the forums.

Your definition is a little vague. You mention integers but then you say x and y are real numbers which is a bit of a contradiction.

Are you trying to ask whether x and y are real numbers if the relation holds?

I do not mean all real numbers. R is the set. x and y are members of the set on the condition that (y = x + 3) & (y = x – 3). These two lines never intersect, so I think that means it is an empty set?

Ohh I see what you mean now.

Well the easiest way to check is to set them equal to one another and see if you get a solution or a contradiction.

y = x + 3, y = x - 3 implies x + 3 = x - 3 which implies 3 = -3 which is a contradiction, so you have proven that no element exists satisfying the relationship so you have the empty set.

Thank you for the help!

I know this is not what you meant/intended , Bob4040, but, strictly speaking your

identity would hold if x were in the set called Z_3, where 3=-3 :

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Z+mod+3

Then,for all x, x+3=x-3 .

Related to Are the members of (x,y) if and only if (y = x + 3) & (y = x – 3) an empty set?

1. What does it mean for a set to be empty?

An empty set is a set that has no elements. In other words, there are no objects or numbers contained within the set.

2. What is the significance of the "if and only if" in this statement?

The phrase "if and only if" is a logical statement that means both conditions must be met in order for the statement to be true. In this case, both conditions of (y = x + 3) and (y = x – 3) must be true for the set to be empty.

3. How can (y = x + 3) and (y = x – 3) both be true at the same time?

This is a contradiction, as no number can be both 3 more and 3 less than the same number. Therefore, the statement cannot be true and the set is empty.

4. Can you provide an example of a set that would make this statement true?

No, there is no possible set of numbers that would satisfy both conditions of (y = x + 3) and (y = x – 3) at the same time. Therefore, the statement is always false and the set is always empty.

5. How does this concept relate to scientific research?

This concept is related to the scientific method, where a hypothesis is only valid if it can be proven true under all conditions. In this case, the statement cannot be proven true and therefore, the set is always empty.