Sets so that the cartesian product is commutative

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that if $A\times B=B\times A$, then one of the following statements must hold: $A=B$ or $\emptyset \in \{A,B\}$. The conversation also includes a brief discussion about the structure of the proof.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $A,B$ be sets, such that $A\times B=B\times A$. I want to show that one of the following statements hold:
  • $A=B$
  • $\emptyset \in \{A,B\}$
I have done the following:

Let $A$ and $B$ be non-empty set.

Let $a\in A$. For each $x\in B$ we have that $(a,x)\in A\times B$. Since $A\times B=B\times A$, it follows that $(a,x)\in B\times A$. So $a\in B$.

That means that $A\subseteq B$. Let $b\in B$. For each $y\in A$ we have that $(y,b)\in A\times B$. Since $A\times B=B\times A$, it follows that $(y,b)\in B\times A$. So $b\in A$.

That means that $B\subseteq A$. From these two relations we have that $A=B$.
If one of $A$ and $B$ is the emptyset, then it holds that $A\times B=B\times A=\emptyset$.

It also holds that the cartesian product is the empty set, then one of the setsmust be the empty set.

So it holds that $A\times B=\emptyset \iff A=\emptyset \ \text{ or } \ B=\emptyset$.

I am not really sure if the strusture of my proof is correct. At the first case I consider that both $A$ and $B$ are non-empty and I show that it must hold that $A=B$. Then at the other case I just say that if at least one of $A$ and $B$ is empty, then it holds that $A\times B=B\times A$ which is the empty set. But shouldn't I start by $A\times B=B\times A$ and conclude that one of the set must be empty? I am confused now. (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey mathmari!

I think your proof is fine.

We start with $A\times B=B\times A$ and we consider 2 cases.
Either $A\times B$ is empty, or it is not empty.
Your proof follows naturally. (Happy)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
I think your proof is fine.

We start with $A\times B=B\times A$ and we consider 2 cases.
Either $A\times B$ is empty, or it is not empty.
Your proof follows naturally. (Happy)

Ok! Thanks a lot! (Sun)

1. What is a cartesian product?

A cartesian product is a mathematical operation that combines two sets to create a new set. It is denoted by the symbol "x" and is also known as a cross product.

2. What does it mean for a cartesian product to be commutative?

A cartesian product is commutative when the order of the sets being multiplied does not affect the result. This means that A x B = B x A, where A and B are sets.

3. How can I tell if a set will result in a commutative cartesian product?

A set will result in a commutative cartesian product if it contains elements that are not dependent on order. For example, the set {1, 2, 3} will result in a commutative cartesian product, but the set {1, 2, 3, 4} will not.

4. What is an example of a set that will result in a commutative cartesian product?

An example of a set that will result in a commutative cartesian product is {a, b, c} x {1, 2, 3}. No matter the order in which the sets are multiplied, the resulting set will always be the same: {(a, 1), (a, 2), (a, 3), (b, 1), (b, 2), (b, 3), (c, 1), (c, 2), (c, 3)}.

5. Why is it important for a cartesian product to be commutative?

Having a commutative cartesian product allows for easier mathematical operations and simplification. It also allows for a better understanding and analysis of the relationship between sets.