Are there any interactions from mixing these chemicals?

In summary, the conversation is about a person's concern regarding the use of chemicals in their new job, specifically the potential for mixing them. They mention Windex, granite cleaner, and a food grade sanitizer being used on a salad bar, and ask if it is safe to do so or if there could be any reactions. They are advised to read the labels and get more information about the specific products being used.
Springwatertap
Hi,
So I recently got a new job, and when I was being instructed on how to close my department, I noticed that they used quite a bit of chemicals on the same surface (it's a salad bar). I was wondering if any of these chemicals could interact, and if so, what the products would be.
First, the glass is cleaned with Windex on both the surface and underneath the glass, and directly beneath that is sprayed with granite cleaner. Due to the close proximity, it's very easy to mix them.
Eventually, the granite and metal surface beside it is wiped down with what I was told is "food grade sanitizer." This happens pretty much every 15 minutes or so for a few hours, and then the granite cleaner is used and the Windex.

Is this safe to do, or are there any possible reactions from using these chemicals together like this?

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
"Windex?" Ammonia formulation? Or, vinegar? "Food grade sanitizer?" Peroxide? Alcohol? Hypochlorite? "Granite cleaner?" You're going to have to read the labels --- and communicate. Odds are --- "No."

Likes symbolipoint
Bystander said:
Odds are --- "No."

I believe Bystander intended to answer the first question "Is it safe"

Post the MSDS or SDS for each product. That may give an indication of the safety of mixing them. Generally you don't want to mix them unless the manufacturer specifically recommends it regardless of what is assumed from the ingredients.

BoB

1. Can mixing these chemicals cause an explosion or fire?

Mixing certain chemicals can result in a violent reaction, including explosions or fires. It is important to always follow proper safety precautions and consult a material safety data sheet (MSDS) for information on potential hazards.

2. Are there any health risks associated with mixing these chemicals?

Some chemicals may produce toxic fumes or pose health risks when combined. It is important to understand the properties of each chemical and use appropriate protective gear when handling them.

3. Will the mixture be stable or will it break down over time?

The stability of a chemical mixture depends on the specific chemicals involved and their concentrations. Some mixtures may remain stable, while others may break down or react over time. It is important to conduct thorough research and experiments to determine the stability of a mixture.

4. Can mixing these chemicals create new, harmful substances?

Mixing certain chemicals can result in the formation of new substances that may be harmful. This can include toxic gases, corrosive compounds, or flammable materials. It is important to understand the potential reactions and products of mixing chemicals.

5. What precautions should I take when mixing chemicals?

When mixing chemicals, it is important to follow proper safety protocols, wear appropriate protective gear, and work in a well-ventilated area. It is also recommended to conduct a small-scale test before mixing larger quantities and to have a plan in case of an unexpected reaction.