Are there any other Macronutrients?

In summary, all macronutrients provide energy for body function. Hydrochloric acid is involved in the digestion of all three macronutrients. Lower acid levels in the stomach may require supplementation or a change in diet.
mktsgm
I have a few questions on energy from foods. Do we have any other macronutrients that contribute energy to the body other than carbohydrates, proteins and fats in our body? What is the role of Hydrochloric acid (HCL) in our stomach? Is the HCL involved in all three above macronutrient digestion?

Biology news on Phys.org
Macronutrients are: Water (non-caloric), fats, carbohydrates, and proteins. All of these provide basic building 'materials' for all of the functions your body does for homeostasis, and daily tissue building/repair.

Approximate caloric values:
Water: Zero
Fats: 9 kCal/g
Carbohydrates: 5 kCal/g
Protein: 5 kCal/g

HCl is produced in the stomach to hydrolyze proteins (break them down into amino acids) primarily. And to provide a low pH environment favorable to enzyme activity there.
Acidity also facilitates absorption of some micronutrients in the intestine.

Fat digestion/absorption depends on bile production in the liver, carbohydrates break down into simple sugars in the presence of enzymes and bacteria. They can move though most of the mucosal membranes in the digestive tract. Acidity may play a small role. Ex: you can absorb glucose from fruit juice into your bloodstream in your mouth. Insulin dependent diabetics use fructose/glucose tablets to raise bad, low blood sugar levels by dissolving them in the mouth. This fast uptake of simple sugars is often discussed in the context of glycemic load and glycemic index.

Lower acid levels in the stomach (ex: antacid medicines or advanced age) may require supplementation or diet change. For example, Calcium citrate is sometimes preferred as a calcium supplement for older patients with problems like osteoporosis. It is better absorbed in a higher pH gut. I am oversimplifying here, as there may be a LOT of other issues involved, but the mian idea is that some citrate salts are better absorbed in people with low acid levels.

Diet is a factor on intestinal pH levels.

Here is a very interesting review of papers on the effects of changing:
pH, sodium, potassium, chloride, and carbonate levels
of humans diets over the past 200 years.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3195546/

Note the complete reversal of potassium to sodium ratios.
Then: ~ 10 Potassium: 1 sodium
Now: ~ 1 Potassium: 3 sodium
The ~ character means 'approximately'
Chloride has also become far more prevalent.

Last edited:
Fats, carbohydrates and proteins provide all the energy and essential raw materials that our bodies require.
In addition to those we also need some vitamins and trace elements, but these are not energy sources.
They are needed in small quantities for some particular part of body chemistry.
For example we need iron for our red blood cells, vitamin C is necessary for a number of body repair and maintenance functions,
There is usually enough of these trace requirements present in food along with the three major categories

Thanks Jim and rootone.

1. What are macronutrients and why are they important?

Macronutrients are essential nutrients that are required by the body in large amounts for growth, metabolism, and overall health. They include carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. These nutrients provide the body with energy and are necessary for the proper functioning of various systems and processes.

2. Are there any other macronutrients besides carbohydrates, proteins, and fats?

Yes, there are two other macronutrients that are essential for the body: water and fiber. Water is necessary for hydration, nutrient absorption, and waste removal. Fiber is important for digestion and helps maintain a healthy digestive system.

3. How can I ensure I am getting enough macronutrients in my diet?

The best way to ensure you are getting enough macronutrients in your diet is to eat a variety of whole, nutrient-dense foods. This includes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats. It is also important to pay attention to portion sizes and to listen to your body's hunger and fullness cues.

4. Can I get all the necessary macronutrients from a vegetarian or vegan diet?

Yes, it is possible to get all the necessary macronutrients from a vegetarian or vegan diet. However, it is important to carefully plan and include a variety of plant-based protein sources such as beans, legumes, tofu, and tempeh. It is also important to ensure adequate intake of essential fatty acids from sources like nuts, seeds, and plant-based oils.

5. Can I consume too much of a certain macronutrient?

Yes, it is possible to consume too much of a certain macronutrient. Excess intake of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats can lead to weight gain and other health issues. It is important to maintain a balanced and varied diet and to be mindful of portion sizes and overall calorie intake.