Are there any real-life examples of tangent waves in the universe?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of trigonometric functions in physics and their relation to waves. The question of where tangent waves can be found in nature is raised, with the suggestion that electrons may exhibit tangent-like behavior in quantum leaps. However, this idea is countered by the fact that a true tangent wave would require an infinite amount of energy. The concept of quantum leaps is also discussed, with the explanation that the electron only needs enough energy to make the leap between energy levels, and no extra energy is necessary. Overall, the conversation provides insight into the use of trigonometric functions and waves in physics.
ujellytek
I'm in high school, just finished Grade 11 and I have learned about sine, cosine, and tangent waves in my math & physics classes. The question is more of where are tangent waves found in nature/this universe? I have thought that maybe electrons experience some sort of tangent wavelike behavior in a quantum leap. Sounds kinda dumb eh? Well I'm thinking this way because in a tangent wave the graphed line keeps and keeps on going (infinitely) and then jumping through the asymptote and appearing below the x-axis of the graph and repeating that (please google the tangent graph if you do not know what it looks like :) ). The relation to this thought with electrons is that when electrons gain enough energy for a quantum leap they jump through a dimension, and then appear in the other energy level of the orbits, sort of like my idea i touched on.

Is this an example of a tangent function like wave in the universe? Does anyone know of a tangent function like wave in the universe?

Also a reason why my idea would not work is because the the electron would have to gain an infinite amount of energy to jump into the other dimension before it appears in the other orbit (like the graph of a tangent function)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think of tangent like a wave, just as the ratio of sine and cos.

ujellytek said:
... The question is more of where are tangent waves found in nature/this universe? I have thought that maybe electrons experience some sort of tangent wavelike behavior in a quantum leap...

...The relation to this thought with electrons is that when electrons gain enough energy for a quantum leap they jump through a dimension, and then appear in the other energy level of the orbits...

...Is this an example of a tangent function like wave in the universe? Does anyone know of a tangent function like wave in the universe?
Congrats on your first post!

Trigonometric functions, like sine, cosine, and tangent are found throughout all branches of physics to be sure. Sine waves are also readily seen because waves oscillating at just one frequency look just like a sine wave.

In fact, all waves can be expressed as a sum of sin waves of different frequencies.

To get a tangent wave in terms of sine waves, you could use the sum:
[itex]tan(x) = 2\big(Sin(2x)-Sin(4x)+Sin(6x)-Sin(8x)+Sin(10x)-Sin(12x)+...\big)[/itex]
The problem there is that the sum has an infinite number of terms.

In practice, you couldn't have a true tangent wave in the universe because such a wave would require an infinite amount of energy (higher frequencies require higher energy).
As far as quantum leaps go, quantum mechanics gets exceptionally hard to reason with if you try to imagine electrons as microscopic charged dots that must be in a particular place at any given time.

I'm guessing you're talking about the Bohr model of the atom, where when the electron emits a photon, it leaps down an energy level instantaneously. Indeed, we can use the energy (i.e., frequency) of the photon emitted to tell between what two levels the electron travelled.

The only energy the electron needs to make a quantum leap is an amount equal to the difference between the initial and final energy levels. The electron doesn't need any extra energy for this to occur. The likelihood of a quantum leap happening depends on a number of different factors, but no extra energy is necessary.

Thank-you for your response jfizzix! You have answered my questions :)

1. What is a tangent wave in electrons?

A tangent wave in electrons refers to the oscillating motion of electrons in a material, caused by the presence of an external electric or magnetic field. This motion is perpendicular to the direction of the field and has a sinusoidal shape, similar to a tangent function.

2. How is a tangent wave in electrons different from other types of waves?

Tangent waves in electrons are unique because they are specific to the behavior of electrons in a material. Other types of waves, such as light waves or sound waves, are associated with different phenomena and have different properties.

3. What causes a tangent wave in electrons?

A tangent wave in electrons is caused by the interaction between the external electric or magnetic field and the electrons in a material. This interaction causes the electrons to move in a specific pattern, creating the tangent wave.

4. What are the applications of tangent waves in electrons?

Tangent waves in electrons have various applications in fields such as electronics, telecommunications, and quantum mechanics. They are also important in understanding the behavior of materials and can help in developing new technologies.

5. Can a tangent wave in electrons be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, a tangent wave in electrons can be controlled and manipulated by altering the external electric or magnetic field, which affects the motion of the electrons. This control allows for the use of tangent waves in various applications and technologies.