Are There Closed Solutions for Integrals Involving Elliptic Functions?

• Thread starter s0ft
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding closed-form solutions to integrals involving elliptic functions, and the rare occurrence of such solutions in physics. The use of numerical integrations, specifically through the function NIntegrate, is suggested as an alternative approach.
s0ft
I tried to do a arc length integral s, for y as an elliptic function of x. But as I continued with the integration, I found myself at the above integral(cosine of 2x). I quickly substituted cos(2x) with A and carried on but got stuck after about a step or two. The new problem now became (A^0.5)/(1-A^2)^0.5
I tried integration by parts, a lot of substitutions, and nothing worked. Then I thought I should give this to wolframalpha. It gave the results but in, what I only recently found out, elliptic functions. So, does this mean there are no closed solutions/expressions to integrals like these? And does that mean there is no exact formula for applied mathematical problems involving these, like here the perimeter of an ellipse?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. For these type of problems, and in reality in physics especially, closed-form solutions are extremely rare!

Indeed, the integral as you posted it only has the elliptical function as a solution, which is a "special function" solution.
There are others for other such problems for example, such as the hypergeometric function, Laguerre polynomials, etc.

Although, there is no closed-form solution, you can perform numerical integrations. Since Wolfram Alpha is based on Mathematica, research the function NIntegrate to see how this works.

For example, to evaluate your integral from 0 to 1, you can try:
NIntegrate[Sqrt[Cos[2x]],{x,0,1}],
and experiment with that.

What is the integral of (cos(2x))^0.5?

The integral of (cos(2x))^0.5 is a trigonometric integral that can be solved using the substitution method. The resulting integral will involve inverse trigonometric functions.

What is the substitution method for solving this integral?

The substitution method involves substituting a variable, for example u, for the expression inside the parentheses. This will help simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

Can the integral of (cos(2x))^0.5 be solved using other methods?

Yes, the integral can also be solved using trigonometric identities and trigonometric substitution. However, the substitution method is the most common and straightforward approach.

What is the domain of the integral of (cos(2x))^0.5?

The domain of the integral is all real numbers, since the expression inside the parentheses is valid for all values of x.

Is there a specific technique for evaluating the integral of (cos(2x))^0.5?

No, there is no specific technique for evaluating the integral. It depends on the method that is used, such as substitution, trigonometric identities, or trigonometric substitution.